Scootie12's Practice Thread

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by scootie12, Mar 14, 2010.

1. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

Nothing too special to show on this video. It's a few practice clips from my 5am session today.

My sinus infection has come back, albeit to a lesser extent, so I'm back on some antibiotics, which should hopefully kill it off for good this time. It hasn't bothered me too much, but I did notice while skating today that I was breathing harder.

The cannonball spin feels much better, but I didn't get any on film. I also did a really nice double lutz which wasn't filmed either. I've been working on correcting the takeoff, which has caused some grief. I want it to be correct, so I guess there will be a bit of time where I'll have a meltdown until I have the jump consistent....right now I'm popping it too much, so I've been doing a lot of single jumps to make sure it's correct before doing the double.

PS - the fall on the double salchow/double loop got me laughing. I don't know why, but it was an awkward fall, and when I fell, I just busted out laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvUE00HEwd0

Happy viewing, and thanks to each of you who have been supportive or offered advice. Always appreciated ;)

2. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

Here's a silly update. Was doing some filming for fun yesterday and I was being shadowed into my jumps....as you can see I kept doing wonky landings and it was mostly because I was thinking too much that someone was so close to me as opposed to doing the jumps :)

Watch at your own risk in case you get a bit motion sick haha.

Also have video of me working on double toe-loops from this morning's session. I am forcing myself to like this jump and to do it properly before I decide to focus more time on double axel and other jumps that I'd like to relearn. Plus, if I want to compete, I better be super consistent with ALL jumps, and not omit a double toe just because it has never been a favorite of mine.

By the end of the session, I was doing them faster and on a different pattern, but it wasn't on film. The ones you see are more of my "warm-up" ones I do along the line of the rink to help me reference where to pick for the take-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faAYzi4v6c8

Enjoy!!

3. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

GAAAAHHH!~ I was hoping when I opened this thread to see a post saying, here's a video of my double axels! lol!!! I'm waiting to see them!!!

Other than that, the technique in your jumps look fine, I think you're ready to have more speed going into them, and that may also help you with your landings as well. (Yes, I noted that you did some faster ones at the end of the session that wasn't on film.) You could probably, even on warmup if you feel good enough to try to go into your doubles with more speed, and that should help.

But yesss double axels...I want to see! and tripless!!! we've been waiting on FSU for way too longg! lol

4. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

completely agreed! forget the rest. on to the 2axels!

5. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Yess!!! Agree with Spaz, on agreeing with me =D 2axels all the way! and TRIPLES!

Trust me... you don't need all your other doubles before working on the 2axel, as long as your single axel is good enough, and I've seen your single, it's read...my double lutz was horrible for awhile, yet my double axels were clean and better than my quarter cheated awkward double lutz (much better now though)...haha I'm in high spirits as my triple toe is back on track, finally good again after a couple days where I had lost my double toe.

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'll jump on the bandwagon also. JUST DO IT ... and remember to videotape it, of course :)

7. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

Well I tried my first few double axels after many months of not even trying them. The last time I did them I had the groin injury, and I guess after reading a few of your posts :) I decided to try some last Saturday.

It wasn't the end result I was hoping for, but at least I tried them. I simply need to retrain my body to add on the extra half revolution because I'm so used to doing two in the air.

The ones I tried I kept opening a little past two revolutions in the air....I think this marks the first real time a jump hasn't come back easily to me. When I first started back, I managed to land all the other doubles within the first two or three months. I think with a little work, I will have it back soon enough.

Anyway, I HOPE to have it on my next video. I feel bad for always posting the same type of stuff, but it's more to keep family and friends updated, and I like to look back to see how I've fixed things.

Also, the reason I've taken my time to get back into the 2axel and triples is because I really feel that if I'm going to compete (and I plan to do so), I want to have a full arsenal of nicely executed double jumps. Back in my better days when I could do triples, I avoided the double toe like the plague, lol. I've made it a point to love the jump that I always hated, and that's why I've made it a point to learn the correct take-off and make it consistent. It's consistent enough that I can now add more speed to it, and my next step is to incorporate the jump into combinations since I've always relied on the double loop on the end of every combo.

I also want to add more difficulty and better lines to my spins, and have a strong overall presence. It might seem funny for an Adult skater to have so many things to focus on, but I still want the option to compete in non-adult events as a Novice, and in order to do so, I want the full package. This is why I made it a point to avoid the 2axel and triples because I want everything else flawless first.

It's funny btw checking out my vids from last year from when I first started back. You can see a huge difference in my body line and jumps.

8. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Good! It's great that you're working on the double axels, let me assure you, it will take time. Think back to when you first learned jumps, double axel probably took you a longer time than the rest of your jumps too.

What I recommend is, spend every session, 5 min. just working on the double axel, as long as you maintain that routine, it'll get better and better, while still having alot of time leftover to practice everything else. It's just the habit of continuing to work on it that's important.

It's funny how you mention your double toe, that's like my double lutz. In these past couple of weeks, it's gotten astronomically better, and that is cause I've actually worked on it and have started putting it in combos now (it used to be and still is my worst jump but :p) The important thing is to keep working at it, a jump that's difficult will only get easier if you continue working on it so it's good you're learning to love the double toe :p

If you don't mind me asking, about how old are you? and YES I fully support those skaters who are much older, adults, that compete novice competitive stream, there isn't an age limit like junior, and I think there should be more skaters that do that. Keep it up, sounds like you're moving in the right direction, working on spins and body line, not just jumps (I used to be like that...and then I started spending time on spins everyday, and they've gotten much better...as my dad says...people can actually recognize it's a spin now LOL).

Keep us updated! Haha, I'm rarely so interested in threads, but I always look at this one to see if there are updates :p

9. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

Hi all....so here's a quick update on my skating.

In the past two weeks I've managed to do the following:

1. bang up my left hip working on double axels. I really felt I should start working on them again, and I do realize there will be some bad falls involved, and I guess I managed to get pretty banged up on a few attempts. I fully rotated, but took an awkward few spills.

2. last Friday I threw out my back. I was doing some spins and my back just locked up on me. It was pretty scary since I've never thrown out my back, but I managed to force myself to stretch and become mobile. I've been working with my sports doctor to have the kinks worked out. My back is still pretty tight, but I'm doing much better. I even skated on Tuesday, right after my doctor appt, with little pain. However, the next day my back was feeling tight and sore again. Sigh, just another small setback that threw me off, and it was awkward since I stretch so much and am so conscious of my body.

I feel almost guilty for not having the coveted double axel clip yet, and I honestly did try to film them :), but here are two clips in the meantime. One is a double toe-loop I did, and the other is more camera fun with some skating friends.

I'm going to talk to my coach tomorrow to see what she thinks about doing more double axels. I don't want to hurt my back since I have a bad pinched nerve, but maybe we'll be fine as long as I don't take some freak fall haha.

Thanks again everyone for words of support, and critiques :)

Double Toe clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHStGDR_ns
    Jumps clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmkyw7aCpzs

Enjoy

10. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Atleast you're working on them! That's good =D, maybe just rest a bit while you're injured, you don't want a chronic injury and take it easy for a couple days.

On the other hand, my double axel has gone down the drain :( I have to fix my technique, sigh...but atleast the triple sal and toe are coming along nicely. haha it's nice to have this thread, we can see how each other is doing and keep each other motivated. I'm actually surprised my triples were good today, cause I had a horrible fall on the flip takeoff (where your toe COMPLETELY slips and u don't even take off the ice, and u just slide and slide, hurt my arm :().

And remember, even if you don't jump or spin, there's still plenty to work on the ice: choreography, spirals, MITF, skating skills, loops, rockers, counters...etc. it never ceases to amaze me that i spend maybe 10 min. on skating skills each session (or less), and the rest on jumps and spins....where as 3:30 min. out of a 4 min. program is NOT jumps and spins sigh

11. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I love your technique and landing posture!!

12. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

It seems I haven't posted a video in a while. On Tuesday nights I usually skate with a group of friends, so last night I filmed a few things just for fun. Nothing too special, but I did want to see how my cannonball spin is progressing since I tweaked the position a bit.

I've modified the spin to now be a regular sit spin into the cannonball position, and what I've done to get a more pointed look in the cannonball position is to grab my boot at the heel. This helps me straighten my leg and also get a nicer toe point. I think you can see a huge difference in this video. Before, I was holding the leg at the top of the ankle/boot, and I think the position wasn't as good looking that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc15EAb19d4

Thanks everyone that has posted comments and compliments/critiques.

:)

13. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Spins are really nice, great line in the camel position and cannonball, and as Dick Button would say...."look at the back! in that back sit spin...very nice!" hahaha

I also really love your axel double loop combo, especially the axel, and theres definitely enough room for a double axel there!

14. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Wow, good stuff! :) I feel like an idiot when I try to do a cannonball spin. I have enough flexibility, but I always lose my balance and look like the ones in your "mistakes" section. :p I can do the pancake position, but I want to learn a cannonball so that I can pull up from that into a Y spin. Any tips on keeping your balance as you lower your torso and head on the cannonball?

15. mr7740

mr7740 New Member

Doubletoe - I started working on a cannonball this spring and had the same problem...I couldn't get balanced in the spin...and actually I don't have the flexibility so I thought I would never be able to do it. However, my coach had me do it on the harness and while on there I was able to find the right spot on my blade and keep spinning. Soon after working on that a few lessons I was able to recreate the feeling from the harness and do the spin. Sometimes I feel a bit off balance, but at least now I know that if i stick with it, I'll keep spinning. I get right into the sit spin and grab my leg and once I feel secure I pull my head and body to the leg. My position still isn't great and I would kill to be able to do a Y spin from the cannonball, but hey it is something...I hadn't been able to do anything new in years so this was really exciting for me!

16. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

When I first learned the cannonball spin I was holding my leg a little differently, and I honestly changed it because I thought it didn't look perfect enough lol. However, the fix I made helps me spin better.

I was watching Brian Boitano's Olympic LP, and noticed how he has a nice regular sit spin with the leg straight...Please reference this vid clip here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu5NNH6Tgc&#t=2m24s

So I decided to do the sit spin with the arms like he had them in the video. This forces you to keep the free-leg straight and it also helps you balance out the spin if you're someone that might have trouble holding different positions.

Anyway, once I was comfortable with the change of position in my REGULAR sit spin, I then decided to add the feature of a cannonball spin. So what I do from the sit position is move my left hand down to the heel of my free leg and hold onto the boot. I spin CCW, so my right hand is holding the top part of my ankle of the free-leg, and my left hand is resting on my left leg....this is while doing a regular sit spin. So while in the spin, I move my left arm inward and grab the heel of my right boot. What this does is force me to keep the leg straight, have a pointed toe, AND it also helps keep the free-leg balanced as I do the cannonball. Once I'm comfortably into position, I then move my back down into the cannonball position. However, as I'm doing the cannonball, I keep holding out my leg as straight as I can stretch it because this helps me keep my balance.

Hope part of that explanation helps somewhat. Watch my video below to see what I mean. I you slo-mo the spin you can see how I move my hands.

In general, I've noticed I have much better control if I'm holding the heel of my free foot rather than the top of the ankle/book. Plus, it makes it easy if you want to raise up into a Y position.

Here's a direct link to my sit spin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc15EAb19d4&#t=1m39s

* note how my leg extends even straighter once I do the cannonball position.

17. Doubletoe

Scootie and Mr 7740, thank you!!!
    Scootie - I have managed to do it twice, and both times I noticed that I was keeping my weight more over my left thigh (skating side) and pushing my belly/chest forward more. I also wasn't rushing it. :rolleyes: My typical problem is tipping to the right, so I think I need to be extra vigilant about keeping my weight over the left side instead of letting it shift to the right as I fold down over the right leg. I'm also going to try the step-by-step process you described. In my regular sitspin, I also rest my left hand on my spinning knee, so that progression should be really helpful! :)

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I will be testing the 10 Fox in a couple of weeks. I am not ready. We're doing it to get it out there; not because we genuinely believe I really will pass. I hate that.

Now, I *could* pass; but it would take a miracle. I'd need to actually REMEMBER everything my coach tells me to do, partucularly re: the restart. If I simply remember what he tells me to do re: that restart, I might be all right-ish. But I can't do that in practice yet, so in the test? Yeah, well... wish me luck. I could use the good vibes.

I do have about two weeks before the test, and that's about 7 ice sessions for me between now and then, so we'll see... we'll see. I hope to really get this dance going in that time, so I can go into the test not with "I look confident, don't I?" confidence, but with real confidence. :lol:

19. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

20. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  22. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Oooo..was this a bump originally? :p lol, haven't heard from Scootie in so long, give us an update! We're all keen as to hear what has been going on I'm sure! I'm getting back into skating myself after a month off (with exams and whatnot), next week, so would be interesting to see how others are doing in their skating as well!

Let us know how your program is coming along too!

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I won't steal Scootie's thunder by telling the whole story, but he was just at US Adult Nationals and did well.

24. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

ha, thanks! I haven't been posting in a long while. I think I was so focused on Nationals that I felt I'd jinx myself if I posted on my progress during those few months.

Here's the video of my program from Nationals. It's an okay performance, as I purposely omitted the double loop off the final axel combo (and wisely so).

Also, have fun looking at the zipper LOL. It just wouldn't cooperate so I get asked a lot about it hahaha. It's very funny.

Here's the link to the program:
    http://youtu.be/zrzQlIlZm-0

On MKF I posted my "blog" with photos from SLC. Here's the link to my post there:
    http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?25463-Michael-s-Adult-Nationals-Blog

25. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Wow! First of all, congratz on your win! =D

And second of all, that was an amazing program, love the choreography and the music!! Ahhh, Legends of the Fall haha, I may be biased, cause I skated to it as well 2 years ago, really wonderful music!

So what's the plan from here? Taking some time off (or have you already taken some time off after nationals)? I assume you're keeping the program, since you just made it?

Really gives me inspiration when I get back onto the ice next week haha, and I'll be making a new program too, can't wait! This makes me want to skate so badly!!

26. Doubletoe

Scootie, it was great to see you at A.N., and I'm so proud of you for your beautiful skate! Can't wait to do it again next year! (You *did* enjoy A.N. and you *are* hooked now, right? ;))

27. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

I haven't posted in a while. I thought I would post two versions of my showcase program on here. I skated last weekend at the LAFSC showcase competition, and placed 1st in my Adult Masters Dramatic group.

I'm still skating with a hip flexor strain, but am still managing to skate well with the exception of doing many spins, or things like split jumps.

One video is the on-ice angle and the other is from the audience angle.

On-ice angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNugx3uHSqA

Audience Angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-C0hq6DmYQ

I enjoyed the entire experience :)

I'm going to go for nationals again, and I'm going to do so with a new program. After practicing to it hundreds of times, I need something new to motivate me, and I need to step up the difficulty. Hopefully I find something that really inspires me to skate....my mood changes all the time haha

28. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

Copying my post from MKF to my thread here...

I haven't really posted a practice clip in a while. I've been injured with a hip flexor injury. I strained it while doing a death drop prior to Nationals, and never really took care of it. The pain and aches got worse and worse over time, and I finally decided to stay away from jumping and spinning for a bit.

I'm now skating in my new boots and blades, which are SP-Teri KT-3 boots and Gold Seal blades, so it has been a good time to focus on all the basics. I've been stretching a lot, and also doing a lot of on-ice stretches, like spirals. I've also been working a lot on MITF and will eventually finish off my Junior and Senior tests.

I've been jumping just a little bit, but today was finally the day I actually did all my jumps up to through the double flip. I think you can see my extra stretch in my jump landings now. Hopefully the hip heals soon!!!

Here's a quick video update. Enjoy!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc9r_-UTMik

29. Doubletoe

Looking good! :cheer2:

30. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Which leg is your injury on?
    My right hip-flexor has been injured for several years now.... I had to quit practicing triple loops completely, attempting them only in competitions. Same with back sit spins. I heard it was bad to stretch the hip-flexor when it's injured though?? idk. i think i'll finally go to the doctor after putting it off all these years. :S