Scissor Sisters - Night Work

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Ziggy, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Scissor Sisters' third album "Night Work" is out now.

I adore the album cover. That arse is almost as hot as Szolkowy's. :D

Fire With Fire is the lead single.

Being an American band, how come Scissor Sisters are hugely more successful in Europe than at home?

Is their camp disco/pop aesthetic way too "European" for American tastes?

Is homophobia the reason with their music being very obviously "gay" thus seen as embarrassing?

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Ah, Anderson Cooper's favorite band. ;)

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Anderson Cooper is hot. :swoon:

4. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

It's a Robert Mapplethorpe photo.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks, that would make sense. :D

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I get your point, but at the same time, there are a lot of bands that are more popular in the indie circuits than they are in the mainstream, clearview-controlled radio station, circuits. Most of the music I listen to are never played by mainstream channels.

There are also examples of all sorts of artists, gay or not, that are more successful overseas than they are in the U.S. I think a lot of it has to do with both exposure and musical differences in taste.

I also wonder how MTV and other music television networks are in Europe and Asia. If they are viable still tools that studios and artists can use to showcase their music, then that could explain why certain artists become more successful there. As many know, MTV in the U.S. (and VH1, and even MTV2) no longer play music (or at least devote real programming time to play music videos) and instead opt to show reality t.v. shows.

Also, how are actual album sales doing in Europe? In the U.S. music sales have definitely declined (many argue different reasons why that is...from digital downloads, to lack of mainstream exposure of a variety of artists and musical genres, to the killing of the "single" and studios forcing audiences to buy full albums killed potential long-term sales). In my store, four years ago, we had a great reputation for having a vast and varied music selection, but the company as a whole was losing money on CD sales, so they turned that department into more of a DVD/Blu-Ray department thus killing our music selection. Our store was rare in that our CDs outsold our movies. Now, we still enjoy that reputation but our music selection has significantly dwindled which is really a sad statement of where music stores in general are in the U.S.

Last time, I checked, Scissor Sisters actually do pretty well in the U.S. relative to many bands who don't enjoy that same success.

7. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Same thing here.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

So they got to you too? :(

I remember when Jamie Bell, from Billy Elliot, came to L.A. for the Oscars and he told a reporter that "our MTV was weird, we don't play music." Now, I guess our MTV isn't so weird anymore. :/

9. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I think it's because they're just not that good. Their music is fun, but the drag disco camp schtick has been done to death, and there's nothing particularly innovative or new about their act.

As for homophobia, Americans are pretty good at compartmentalizing. It wouldn't be unusual for someone who's homophobic to still have Adam Lambert on his/her iPod or a set of Will & Grace DVDs.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

No, it's more like their music doesn't have large mass appeal. IMO, I just don't think their music is that good. Sure you can dance away to it in a club, but the songs are forgettable to me once they're done. I saw them performed on DWTS and was disappoined. I've also listened to clips of the new album and Amazon; Not something I would spend my money on.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

VIETgrlTerifa, in Poland we also get pretty much 24/7 crappy reality tv nowadays on MTV. :yawn:

I guess it's now radio and internet mainly nowadays, as far as music promotion goes. And tv appearances, etc.

Album sales definitely have declined everywhere. And I agree with Matryeshka and Orbitz that Scissor Sisters are doing the same camp shtick over and over again.

Nevertheless the contrast really is fascinating to me.

Their debut album peaked at number 102 in the US, where they remain an indie act, yet sold 3,300,000 units worldwide. 2,100,000 in UK alone where it's become the 9th best selling album of the last decade. There's pretty much the same pattern with their second album with modest US sales and huge European sales.

Fair point. I guess that's happening more and more nowadays.

My friend has heard two young girls in the street recently have this conversation:
    - Do you like Gaga?
    - I used to but my mum told me she's friends with fags and I don't like her any more.
    :D :D :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010