Scimeca / Knierim Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Jan 30, 2013.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread for them and wanted to start one.

They deserve major props for only recently getting together, winning Coupe de Nice against a ranked Russian Pair, finishing 4th at their first ever GP assignment, and finishing 2nd at Nationals (while winning the LP, which they changed only like 6 weeks ago). They also have all the big moves and surprisingly, have a excellent track record of going clean!

Yes. They need to work on many aspects of their PCS, but the foundation is there. She has :glamor: and he is a great male partner (technically solid and strong). I won't uber them ... yet. I'm almost convinced US pairs are jinxed. But, let's see what happens.

:kickass:

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I really enjoyed their performances and wish them all the best at 4CC!

3. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I really like them and they definitely show a lot of promise, but they make me nervous. They're a couple off the ice and lord knows many a promising pair team have met an early demise because they were in love then came :argue::drama: Hopefully they'll stick it out because they have a lot of great qualities.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. olympic

Another reason I won't uber them yet. They are a couple.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm scared to uber them, too, but I sure love them! Such potential and yet they are already a joy to watch. Sure hope they stick together!

7. Sylvia

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this news. Warm wishes to Chris and Alexa (heal quickly) :saint:

Kudos to Chris and Alexa on their boffo debut season! :cheer:

9. Sylvia

Alexa @lexxapaige just tweeted:

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:( ((S/K)) I know they must be so disappointed. I hope she has a quick recovery.

11. Sylvia

Here's the official press release confirming that Scimeca/Knierim are going to Worlds with Castelli/Shnapir: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48995&type=media
    ETA: Glad they will have an opportunity to gain ISU Championship ranking points that they missed out on at 4CC.

I've cross-posted the news in the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-amp-updates&p=3841598&viewfull=1#post3841598

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. lauren329

lauren329 Member

I really like what I have seen from them and am excited they will have this opportunity. Hate to see anyone out with injury but I really won't miss D/C.

13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

So happy for them! Going to Worlds their first season. What a great experience it will be. Will be rooting for them!

14. olympic

WOW. I feel bad for D/C. I realize they aren't very many people's faves, but this has got to sting. Obviously, they weren't ready though.

However, I am psyched for S/K! Unlike men's or ladies' singles, US pairs weren't really going to have a shot at 3 spots or a medal, so perhaps C/S and S/K can just relax a little more and skate their best, get good scores for the olympic season

15. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about that. Judging by what they have made public on the internet, they don't look like a couple that will ever break up. (It's kind of sickening, but good for them if they're happy.)

16. aftershocks

I'm sure Caydee and John will come back strong. They need to use this time to work on improving their weaknesses too, and further maximizing their strengths. I think the writing is on the wall with S/K being such a strong team with all-around skills right out of the blocks. Mostly what S/K lack right now is experience.

I really enjoyed watching Chris in 2012 with his former partner, but it's so interesting to see how with the right partner things can click along faster. Alexa matches Chris so much better than other partners he's had. But I'm sure his experience with his former partners is what prepared Chris to be ready when Alexa came along. It's sweet that they are a couple off the ice too, and I hope they are able to separate their different intense emotions (re love and competition) and make their relationship work beautifully both on and off the ice.

I also enjoy watching C/S (Marissa and Simon), and I think they make a striking pair. It's harder for them to match unison particularly on spins because of their huge height difference, but I'm sure they're working on that aspect of their skating and they've improved so much this season with their choreography by Julie Marcotte. Lifts and throws are two of C/S strengths (Marissa has to even compensate for the huge height she gets from Simon on their throws). I'm hoping C/S will pull off at Worlds some of the difficulty they have up their sleeves.

It would be really wonderful to see U.S. Pairs improve enough to garner three teams if not in time for next year, at least by 2015. Zhang/ Bartholomay have improved a great deal this season too, and they seem to be really happy performing together. I'm also hoping that Donlan/ Speroff can turn things around and perform great in their hometown next January. I'm also crossing my fingers for Rockne Brubaker finding a great match in an on-ice partner who will stick for the long haul.

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

One of the best examples of the right skaters getting together was Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze. Even though both had some success with their former partners when the two of them got together it was obvious right at the start that they had something special together. So even though it usually takes years for Pairs teams to get to a certain level when the right skaters are matched together what usually takes years to accomplish sometimes takes only months to achieve.

18. aftershocks

^^ Perhaps the same could be said for Volosozhar/ Trankov and Savchenko/ Szolkowy. :)

19. olympic

If you look at D/C vs. C/S and S/K, I noted that C/S w/ mistakes isn't that far off of a clean D/C score-wise. In fact, I think that a clean C/S in the SP will outscore a clean D/C in the SP.

It remains to be seen what a more experienced S/K can do, but I can tell that they have more raw talent than D/C. Of course, that depends on them 1) staying together and 2) avoiding injury. Impossible to get your hopes up, because, we are talking about US pairs, after all!

Anyway, I hope that all this motivates D/C for next season. Caydee seems quite competitive and strong contenders will hopefully push them to improve.

US pairs are generally better this year than ever before at doing the difficult jumps, throws and twists, but they are also much better at getting higher levels on the non-explosive elements - lifts, DS, FW, spins, etc. But, I'd like to see the top US pairs raise the bar next year and go for SBS 3toe and SBS 3sals next year in their LP's. I'd also like to see D/C and S/K work on their PCS elements, too. That might help them march up the standings.

--------

BTW, do you all think we will see a throw 3x from C/S at Worlds?

20. Sylvia

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Hoping Alexa's foot/ankle/whatever is OK for worlds.

22. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Loved watching their Nationals Free program and I found myself wanting to see them at Worlds. So yay!

23. Sylvia

24. Sylvia

Re-posting from the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD...

Scimeca and Knierim talk about their personal relationship, her foot injury, and their goals for Worlds in the second section of the "Inside Edge" blog published today: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130306&content_id=42338990&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Also, the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) announced the winners of the EDI Awards for Best Performance at 2013 Nationals on March 4:

25. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Edit: :shuffle:

:cheer: S&K

26. olympic

S/K couldn't have a better mind set going into Worlds - skating for themselves w/ no expectations. I hope they rock!

27. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I really hope they do well at Worlds! I've been a fan for a while, especially of her. She will tweet me back if I tweet her and she's always sweet. They just seem like very very nice people. :)

28. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I'm officially on their bandwagon, lol, as I am for most American Pair Teams. :)

They just kicked ass at Worlds, surpassing the Italians, which was a huge surprise. Finally, the judging was right on, no hardware or rep to carry the day, just skating, and they did it, they did it, top 10 in their first Worlds! :cheer2:

29. Sylvia

Scimeca/Knierim's 9th place finish at Worlds qualifies them for Team A envelope funding from USFS next season. :)

ETA:
    @LynnRutherford tweeted:
    "Mixed zone-Dalilah Sappenfield revealed Vancouver choreographer Mark Pillay will likely do ScimecaKnierim FS for next season."

Pillay choreographed Moore-Towers/Moscovitch's programs this season, as well as as Richard Dornbush's SP, and has been Liam Firus' choreographer for many seasons.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  30. olympic

Sylvia - Will their results this year get them 2 GP invitations next season? Meaning the USFSA could easily select them for SA, but I wonder if their current results will get them invites from 2 foreign federations.

Anyway, WOW. 9th at their first worlds in probably one of the most talented pairs fields of any quadrennial. To be put in front of the Italians who were Euro Bronze medalists means the judges really like them as they are! I'm further encouraged by the fact that they will go outside Colorado Springs for their choreography. For next season, I can't wait to see them work on their overall look with Mark Pillay. That right now is their biggest issue. I also think technically it would be great if they could upgrade to SBS 3toes in addition to their SBS 3sals, and just generally fine-tuning to get all the proper levels. Their 3twist and throw jumps (when she lands them) are top class and can rival the top teams. They in fact may be the top US team. I hope it works out for them! No pressure :p