Scientology in feud over leader

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

About time someone from Scientology admitted it. Vile corrupt so-called "religion".

3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Um, I'm sorry, it's become a hollow money-making machine? Isn't that what it's always been, along with shady and disturbing?

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't care who it offends, Scientology is not a religion, it is a science fiction book happening in real life! The founder was a darn science fiction author for goodness sake. They say you need to give lots of money to the Church before the big message is revealed. It is such an obvious scam but people actually fall for it. I can not fathom how someone hears this stuff and thinks it sounds true and like something they want to believe in. How does that work? People are this stupid???

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  5. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

On paper it can seem quite odd that new and joining members of Scientology believe the stories regarding Xenu. However, that's not how they're first introduced to Scientology and it's quite sometime before they get to that point. For all of Scientology's very vocal distaste for Psychology and Psychiatry, the process of auditing borrows heavily from Freudian and Jungian psychoanalysis.

As such, I don't find it too odd that people get deeply involved with Scientology after they learn about/experience an auditing session. All of that intense self reflection and actualization seems like a very good method of bringing in those who may be depressed or existentially curious. If we're operating under the premise that Scientology is indeed a deliberate and insidious cult organization, I could also see auditing sessions being ripe pickings for hypnosis and other "brain washing" techniques.

I'm curious to see how Scientology's recruitment is doing. Now that there is so much more public and easily accessible information regarding their "secrets", are people joining as they did before (i.e., taking their free "personality test")?

6. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Or, as Mormons call their bait-and-switch: "milk before meat".

7. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

If anyone is interested in reading some testimonials from ex-scientologists and documents, etc. here's the most accurate and complete website I ever found on the web (OK, knowing that I'm living in Switzerland, lol, but I browse all around the world), but all what you'll read from there is TRUE :yikes::scream:!!!!!

EDIT to add the link, stupid me :p http://www.anti-scientologie.ch/english-index.htm#H

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused: What site?

9. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

11. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

It's enough where they're Photoshopping pictures of their events to fill in empty seats.

Also, $cientology outposts have been downsizing. I've even witnessed this locally, as our local branch went from a prominent ground floor store front in a location with lots of foot traffic to the second floor of a building with no obvious visible signs with probably less square footage and on a street with more vehicle than pedestrian traffic.

12. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

You'll find everything (and probably more) you're looking for through the link I posted above :)

13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Maybe Tom Cruise can attempt a Coup?

14. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

A science fiction author who as a young man sitting around with his fellow aspiring writers said to people that the best way to get rich quick was to found your own religion. There is a big difference between genuine people following a crazy person who thinks he's a prophet, and a group of charlatans running a con game. Scientology should be illegal everywhere. I should start a pyramid scheme and call it a religion...

15. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Who was also a bigamist, deadbeat dad and wife-beater.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It is less for me that Hubbard was an SF author than that the ultimate origins of his founding a religion are HE MADE A BET WITH ROBERT HEINLEIN. I mean ye gods, do people think Christianity started because Jesus and John the Baptist wagered on who could get more dramatically martyred?

"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

From the lead-in to the article:

What do they mean, "is becoming"?

17. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Interesting, thanks :).

I work nearby and often walk past the Founding Church of Scientology in DC, it's a very large and nice building; almost always adorned with a welcoming open house sign! In the warmer months, I often see members pitch a tent and table at Farragut Square near the Metro offering free "personality tests". I've never seen anyone actually go-up and talk with them/take one :shuffle:.

I certainly have my opinions of Scientology, largely formed upon its choice words on my field (Psychology) :p. Regardless of the inner mechanisms (cult vs. monetary scheme, etc.), it's troubling to see people being taken advantage of and potentially harmed. :(

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

In February 2011 The New Yorker published a long profile ("The Apostate") about director Paul Haggis' break with Scientology when leadership refused to denounce the San Diego branch, whose staff member had signed an online petition in support of Proposition 8 (marriage between members of the opposite sex only).

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright

In it there's a discussion of the leadership issues and the two-tiered system for elite vs. the rabble, as well as his experience with auditing and the process of revealing the big secret.

19. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Several years ago, my coworkers and I decided we should start our own religion. Since eating dinner was the high point of our evenings, we would become "The Foodists" (as opposed to nudists)
    Our high priest would wear an apron and a chef's hat. And brandish a whisk and a carving knife.
    Instead of an altar, we would worship before a convection oven.
    Every morning we would read a passage from our holy book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"
    We would have our own feast days, ie truffle day, prime rib day.
    Anyone who violated our holy laws would be punished by having to eat at Burger King. :lol:

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Well, as long as we're giving links to websites about religions where everything is absolutely true, try this one out:

http://www.evilbible.com/

There is info about "selling your own daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:1-11), child abuse (Judges 11:29-40 and Isaiah 13:16), and bashing babies against rocks (Hosea 13:16 & Psalms 137:9)."

I swear, it's the freakiest religion ever! There's also stuff about animals which speak to you in your own language, entire seas being split into two, and the leader of this cult DROWNS all his children by flooding the planet for forty days and forty nights! FREAKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

21. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

22. Jot the Dot Dot

23. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

These groups make the foodists sound downright sane. Perhaps we should start it for real. :p

24. Jot the Dot Dot

Let's start with our own language :respec: Forget Esperonto or Klingon, this is the wave of the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0QZQRTNr0

25. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I vote for starting our own religion.

Although being involved in skating is a religion in itself. It costs a lot of money, you end up worshipping your coaches and you are afraid of those who may pass judgement on you.

26. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Enjoyed your post. Your last sentence inspired me to change a couple of words. It's how I feel sometimes:
    I certainly have my opinions of the ISU, largely formed upon its choice words on my field (Skating) :p. Regardless of the inner mechanisms (cult vs. monetary scheme, etc.), it's troubling to see people being taken advantage of and potentially harmed. ;)

27. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

So would Ottavio Cinquata be David Miscavige or the evil Lord Xenu? :p