Schultheiss gets new coach (and why he was alone in the K&K in SA)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by alilou, Nov 30, 2010.

1. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Adrian Schultheiss and Coach Evgeni Lutkov Separate
    http://www.flutzingaround.com/2010/11/adrian-schultheiss-and-coach-evgeni.html

Interesting acticle. Doesn't sound like it was a good situation for him (or Lutkov for that matter), and that he's better off with a different coach.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  2. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks for the story, that's quite a shady situation, and glad he's found new coaching. Nationals should be quite interesting if all 3 men show up.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow... That's a really awful situation. I hope his new coaches work out for him.

4. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

So does 'blacked out' mean he has very serious health issues or was he dead drunk?

5. krenseby

krenseby New Member

That's the question that I had in the back of my mind as well.

6. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Health issues. Sorry.

7. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I had no idea that their working relationship had deteriorated to the point where Lutkov treated Schultheiss with so little respect. :angryfire What a way to get a slap in the face.

8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Health issues or not, there is no excuse for being a @!$&.

I hope he finds a better coach.

9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Good luck to Adrian with his new coaching arrangement. Wishing him a speedy recovery from his injury.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Poor Adrian. Hopefully he'll have success with his new coaches.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Do you know what the health issues are (were)?

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The news had reported possible cardiac issues, but I don't know if that's actually true, or what the latest news is.

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

I wouldn't judge the coach too harshly as people who are sick can be a little off emotionally.

14. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

He still wore a hospital bracelet in the KnC for the long program didn't he?

IIRC they've clashed before, and it's not all been Lutkov's fault either, but it does sound rather bad that he went off to Finland for skating related work, while he was supposedly on a break from skating. :/ I hope Schultheiss gel with his new coaches.

Lousy timing too, right before Swedish nationals.

15. servin

servin New Member

I think these two coaches are the most logical change for Adrian. These are the coaches in Göteborgs KK, the club that Adrian represents. Evgeni is a coach in another club.

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Hope this works out well for him because he made so much progress with his old coach. I liked his insane program and his R&J is good too!

17. nozomi0223

nozomi0223 New Member

18. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I just hope that Schultheiss can work well with his new coaches and continues to improve. I personally find him a lot more interesting to watch than Berntsson.

19. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

20. Evilynn

The most interesting bits from Lutkov's statement (paraphrased):

When he was hospitalized during SA he had suffered a minor stroke and had high BP and showed up at the rink during the FPs against the doctor's orders. This made him rethink whether he could or should handle the responsibility of being the sole coach of one of the best skaters in Sweden. He took a 2 week break from coaching Adrian (this is when he did his consulting for the Finnish fed), and reached the decision that helping and molding younger skaters is what he likes the most.

He also said he's of the Russian school and is a perfectionist and demands a lot of work from his students and that that isn't for everyone. :shuffle: He says they grew apart and reached the decision to split calmly and mutually.

Lutkov will now work on his and his wife's new skating club Isdala KK, working with younger skaters.

21. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

Not quite right.
    He demands serious commitment from his pupils, while some consider their skating as something you are doing for fun. Different people have different way to work and achieve good results. That's all. :)
    I hope I get it right because I am not a native English speaker.

22. Evilynn

That's why I said I paraphrased. I assume Schultheiss isn't skating just for fun. ;) Jag är svensk, men en aning lat. :p

23. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Didn't Schultheiss train for a little while in the US before SA? Maybe he can find long-term coaching in North America instead of Sweden? He has some rather interesting and original ideas (definitely a rarity nowadays), and I really hope he will garner more attention on the international scene.

24. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

As a lifelong skater I've found that coach/skater relationships run very hot and cold. On the one hand you are paying the coach to be an objective professional. Yet you work one-on-one with the coach towards a common goal, which is a very intense experience. However, once that goal is a achieved (or one or both parties feels it is hopelss) there is usually nothing left to say.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

Actually his choreographers Tony Hulten and Denny Hulten work in USA.

26. reut

reut Active Member

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Very interesting info. I enjoyed reading the story behind his programs, especially the short. It does help the choreography make some sense.
    :cheer2: I hope he does well at Europeans.

28. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I love Adrian's SP this season, but I didn't really know the story behind it (even though I did catch his serpent-like movements).

Maybe after reading this article some of his fans will send out their applications to be his personal chef. :p

29. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Well I for one give a big thumbs up to the rockin longer hair. In a few short months his look has gone from 'white supremacist' to 'shaggy ken doll'. Giddy up!