Schools Ban Hugging and High-Fives ("No Contact" Policies)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 23, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Senior Public School Students Fight Alleged Hug Ban (Brampton, Ontario)

Hugging banned by principal at New Jersey middle school

This article mentioned other schools which have banned shorts, Ugg-type boots, Halloween and rainbows.

Mt Martha Primary School's no-contact policy bans hugs and high five (Melbourne, Australia)

While this last article is about an Australian school system, on the radio this morning they said that high-fives are being banned in some Canadian schools as well.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I frequently high fived my students. Absurd.

The problem is that educational administrators have decided that it is easier to just completely ban something rather than be educators and take the time to teach kids the difference between what is appropriate and what is not.

On a lighter note, I wish the last school I taught at had banned Uggs. I was so sick of girls trudging around in them when it was 80+ degrees out (building only had window air conditioners) and then whining all day because they were hot and could they please take their boots off in class. No. You cannot be barefoot in school. Maybe you shouldn't wear winter boots in April.

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Let's just ban everything that makes us human. Cut all the arts classes, ban touch, stop listening, stop thinking, just do what you're told and don't learn to love any of it.

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  4. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Moving to America, I was shocked at how people there were non-hugging. Guys don't hug, apparently. Especially not other guys. I find it odd. Being a women, I can usually get away with hugging my friends (guys and girls alike), but it is clear that not everyone does it all the time.

So this makes me feel sad. Will this make people afraid or unwilling to even hold hands? Give a hand shake? I feel children should know that being close to another human being is not wrong.

I think also it is lazy to try and say no touching at all, instead of actually taking care of issues with shoving, harresing students.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

yes.
    Edited to add: I actually think this is very important. Knowing the difference between appropiate and wanted affection and physical contact and inappropiate/unwanted contact is a key life skill.

also - I keep thining this being taken to the extreme - I would be very upset if my son's preschoold teachers didn't hug him!

Did they wear flip-flops in the winter :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I hope the people responsible for making these decisions are not in charge of throwing out bathwater. Oh, the babies we would lose!! :D

Is that you, Mr. Romney? :p

7. michiruwater

How did you know, Peter? ;)

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It's the long, luxurious hair. :)

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  9. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I've heard this from immigrants too. Every time I go to the mosque (which is predominately filled with immigrants from Arab countries and South Asia), the men always hug each other and they even peck each other on the cheek. My ex told me that when he stayed in Egypt, he had to get use to his guy friends holding his hand in public. In the US, he never did this but in Egypt it was quite the norm.

I'm a touchy person myself so I like hugging my friends and family.

As for the no contact policies, IA with PDilemma. It definitely sounds like a case of lazy administrators throwing out the baby with the bath water.

10. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

wow. This would never work at the Elementary school I teach at. I get tons of kindergarten- gr 3 kids hugging me every day I am in (I teach music half time)

11. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

:lol: When I worked at a private school a couple of years ago, the same thing happened and I worked as the secretary! Many of the students, especially the younger ones, are very affectionate and have no problem running up to an adult and giving them a big ol' hug.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The policy is ridiculous!
    Fear, gone wild.

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Whilst I think these policies can be over the top, I get a bit :rolleyes: at the thing that every time young girls and teenagers see their friends they have to give them big hugs. Particularly if they see their friends day after day. I am not sure when it became the in thing to do because I never grew up with that. Maybe I view it more as a trend and that is how the schools view it too. So the banning is treating it that way as well.

The one in Australia did get lots of publicity. What parents got angry about was if a kid fell in the playground, another kid wasn't allowed to touch them. That is over the top. Although I have also heard the particular school principal has done a few other things that have peeved people off as well.

14. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I would say it's more a case of adminstrators who are tired of arguing with parents over whether or not a display that the parents didn't witness was inappropriate.

It's easy enough to tell kids "No lip locks," but then you have to punish them if they persist. And then.......

What's wrong with that? :confused:

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Good luck stopping my special needs students from hugging, holding hands or high fiving. I high five them all the time. Their faces light up when a teacher gives them a high five for doing something well, it is a great reward to give that costs nothing. I have one student who will hold anyones hand all day if you let him, it is very comforting to him. Teaching him who he can and can not hold hands with is much more important than constantly telling him no or punishing him.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I find this very disturbing.
    I guess it really is a cultural thing. I find affection and comfort that comes from a hug very meaningful for kids and grownups.

Whats next - no laughing and showing your teeth while smiling?

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Everyone learns from home sitting behind a computer. A budget saver and freedom from liability of anything happening on school campus.

18. Aussie Willy

It is my view of how I see it. There is nothing wrong with that either. People just didn't behave that way when I grew up so being part of the older generation maybe I just don't get it. Everyone is different and can have different opinions on the topic. However maybe I was also trying to explain a reason why a school takes this sort of action.

19. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Having just reviewed and rewritten part of our Student Handbook, I can say the reason rules, no matter how extreme they may seem, are instituted is because some student did something that had consequences and a new rule was formed. It's unfortunate that a small minority causes policies that impact the majority. It's just the way it is, particularly in a very litigious society.

20. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

So no dodge ball, red rover, or square dancing in elementary school? What about holding your partner's hand on field trips? Who knew all that could lead to hostile or perverted behavior!

21. michiruwater

Red rover was banned at my school when I was in high school (though we'd stopped playing it years before, of course). Too many broken arms. I can't really blame them for that one, though I did love playing it as a kid.

And I, for one, always hugged all my friends throughout school. I still do, every time I see them.

22. Prancer

I understand all that; what I was asking you is why you think a school would consider kids hugging each other to be such a problem that a school would need to regulate them doing so?

23. Aussie Willy

You did say "What is wrong with that". So I wasn't sure if you were questioning my personal opinion because the part you highlighted was my personal opinion. So I wasn't sure what your question was directed towards.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Dodge ball should be banned. I've consoled too many kids after a particularly vicious games. And I teach high school.

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

dodgeball is so awesome

26. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

When I play? Yes. :p

27. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Maybe it's changed over the years, but I thought dodge ball didn't involve any touching--just massive ball throwing at peeps.

I rocked at dodge ball FWIW

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

maybe the three of us could start a league

29. Prancer

Okay. Now that we are clear....why is hugging such a problem that schools would need to ban it?

30. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Apparently they're talking about constitutional bans against our beloved sport :drama: :drama: :drama:

Peon meddlers :lynch: