School lunch & lunchbox ideas for a kindergartener?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateycat, Aug 22, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

French fries (with mustard and ketchup?), a whole artichoke, yogurt (Dannon?), a bowl of mussels, half a grapefruit, and a slice of lemon tart, with a container of milk? :scream:

That is truly a stomach-curdling luncheon combination.

When my niece was in french pre-school, they had cheese appreciation and Brest chicken, which sounds a whole lot better to me.

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

To be fair, when I mentioned France, somehow I forgot the plate of fries. :p ;) I was thinking more the meat/potatoes dish.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm kinda horrified by that one.... Artichoke and mussels?? I applaud serving veggies to kids but a whole artichoke takes ages to eat, it's messy and hard work! It'd be one thing if they were serving trimmed artichoke bottoms or those canned artichoke hearts or something... Same with the mussels, I imagine the cafeteria floor is covered with mussel shells and artichoke leaves by the end of this meal. The plate of fries is huge! Who'd have thought that France would have the worst lunches. They need to nix the dessert from all the trays (I'm totally against serving sugar to kids)

Not loving the carbo-loading in Japan, with rice & noodles (or spaghetti & fries!) often in the same plate. At least they serve some vegetables and fish.

Korea looks the healthiest, kimchi is very good for you and about half the meal is made up of vegetables and protein. I would eat that. Taiwan, Singapore, China etc also look pretty reasonable.

I would eat the Slovakian lunch too. Healthy fish (mackerel has a ton of omega 3), tomatoes & fruit.

UK looks horrible: Canned corn, one wedge of tomato and one slice of cucumber.

Kenya, Honduras, Ghana & Djibouti make me sad :( We in the West take food for granted. Avocados are nutritious, sure, but I can't believe that a single avocado is enough for a growing boy :(

All of a sudden I'm feeling grateful to my mother for always packing my lunch.

4. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

In France, traditionally the main meal is taken at noon. You have something much lighter in the evening. Remember most French lunch breaks last 2 hours.

5. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

The mediterranean food has way less calories than the north american food. If you eat crackers with peanut butter for lunch is probably the same amount of calories than eating some pasta with a fresh tomato sauce, lettuce and a fruit. With the second meal you have low carbs, fibers, and the sugar contained in the fruit :) I prefer to not know what you get with the first one...

6. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Well, except the post in question is talking specifically about the meal shown for France, which included a HUGE plate of fries. :lol:

I was amused by one of the offerings from Japan - spaghetti with meat sauce with a side of fries! Who needs fries in addition to pasta?

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Any of the Japanese ones would be my first choice.

Honestly, though, I'd at least try most of them. I've never figured out how people eat whole fish though.

I wouldn't eat or try any of the USA ones, though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Something about milk with the asian food seems really gross. Some kind of juice would taste better.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

11. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I dunno, the story hasn't been recanted by any of the reporting networks and that blog is quite a bit too emo to sound credible.