School lunch & lunchbox ideas for a kindergartener?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateycat, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

As a teacher, just make sure they like what you send... don't send it because you think they should be eating it, or maybe they'll eventually like it... so much food in school lunches goes to waste... or gets swapped. :p

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not very well. Mini Ice requested no more egg.
    Both blueberries and strawberries got very mushy and released a ton of juice. It was basically a berry soup. Not sure why as I didn't add anything to them and they were in the hard plastic container from the bento lunchbox you recommended. It's a hit, btw but I had to break off the latch on the box as it was pretty hard to open even for me. Without the latch it just snaps shut and opens very easily for kindergarten-level of coordination.
    I don't think I am capable of this level of food decoration. :eek:

Here's a (useless to me) article on the subject but if your kids are older, may be you will find it interesting. Yeah, my kid would eat a sandwich with basil and raw garlic. :rolleyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/dining/heres-eating-lunch-with-you-kid-a-good-appetite.html?_r=3

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

depending upon how life-threatening your latex allergy is, those fruits are on a related allergy list. If child who brings in the fruit does not wash his/her hands before returning to the classroom, or part of that fruit is left on the table, the person with the life-threatening allergy can be exposed.

Some people with life threatening latex allergy will have their own resuscitation kit because many ambulances carry latex items that are used in resuscitation. Although most hospitals/rescue squads are now latex free.

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I remember struggling with the latches on ours, but there's a trick to opening them and once we figured that out, it was fine.

Were your blueberries wet? I can't think of anything else that would draw the juice out like that.

:lol: There's a lot of stuff there, not just the fussy crap that no one has time to make. There's simple lunches and tips on getting kids to make their own lunches and a pet peeves list that all sounds way too familiar :shuffle:.

PML at those sandwiches. I'm pretty much a slap-some-turkey-between-slices-of-bread-and-go lunch maker--and that's for ME.

That article did remind me of one thing both my kids loved that was easy to pack--sliced black olives.

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Little guys and gals seem to find two quarter sandwiches less intimidating than half sandwiches. I second (third? fourth?) the comments on sending less food. The thrown-out amounts are astonishing.

To that end, can parents volunteer in the lunchroom one day? That can give you lots of insight into mealtime. Some schools have gone to a "recess first" model so that when the kids come in from play they're hungry, and thirsty, and actually eat their food rather than racing to be done so that they can go play.

My nephew was perfectly happy to eat cold mac and cheese, ravioli, and the like for lunch. Some kids don't seem to like sandwiches.

If peanut butter is off the list, but other nuts are okay, Justin's Maple Almond Nut Butter is a truly amazing product.

And if I could go back and get a do-over on school lunches, I would have never started the Capri-Sun and juice box things. Given what I now know about the lack of benefit (and possible actual harm) from sweetened drinks, and the degree to which kids get them anyway in sporting practices,..., I wish we'd just sent her with water, or had her buy milk at lunchtime.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I figured out the trick but thought it would overwhelm Mini Ice so off with the latch it was. It works fine without it.
    They were not and neither was the container. I made sure of everything being dry. :confused: However, the good news is the aside from the berry incident he's been cleaning out his lunch box so far, *knocks on wood*.

I toast and butter two slices of TJ cracked wheat bread, grab some fruit and off I go. I don't have time for anything else. Lately I've been buying salads and drinking lattes at the nearby cafe for lunch. Sometimes I get one of their chocolate cheesecake muffins. Yes, they are as bad as they sound--a diet wrecker for sure but I only do it once every few weeks or so...:shuffle:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Okay here comes one of those annoying "when I was a kid" offerings. We lived in a rural area. No we didn't have to walk 10 miles uphill each way, but we were bused to school, not allowed to leave the schoolgrounds all day and had no cafeteria, no refrigerators, and ice packs had not yet hit the market, nor had insulated bags. Not only that but my mother used waxed paper instead of saran wrap for the sandwiches. The only thing available at the school was milk in one of those pint cartons. If you choose to buy that, you knew it had been sloshed around in an unrefrigerated milk delivery truck for a couple of hours, then left sitting out once delivered until handed out at lunch time. I had a lunch box/bag every day for all 12 years of school and 3 years of university. Almost every day was sandwiches but a very wide variety, from salmon to cheese to roast beef, turkey, meat loaf etc. Admittedly nobody in these parts had even heard of using mayo or similar lunch spreads so we didn't have the concern of that going bad at least. Mostly it was just margarine or the odd time mustard. I never once got sick from eating anything that had sat out for half a day nor do I recall that happening to anyone else. As a special treat once in a blue moon my mother would cook a hotdog and put it in a thermos. I just added it to the bun with mustard and relish when I was ready to eat. The odd time I also had soup in the thermos instead of a drink. It was usually not all that hot by lunch time.

I was astonished when I joined the workforce to find my co-workers heatedly fighting over refrigerator space. :lol:

8. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

:respec:

Yes, me too and I never got food poisoning either. My mother also used to send egg salad sandwiches. Just to add a bit of the eww factor, one of my schoolmates used to take raw hamburger sandwiches to school. Now if that wasn't courting danger, I don't know what was. He's still around btw. ;)

I should add, a lot of people used to send egg salad and the way we did it was make it the night before, stick it in the fridge so it was really chilled. It stayed good until lunch, unless it was like 95 in the classroom.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Paper bag and waxed paper for me as well. My mother had enough sense to avoid things with mayo. For the most part, I got cured meat (ham, bologna, and the like) with cheese and mustard, or just plain cheese sandwiches. Milk was barely cool. Never got sick and I don't recall anyone else getting sick either.
    By high school, we had choices, but I still had the paper bag at least two days a week.

Guess it's child abuse now to send a lunch without an ice pack or frozen item.

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

SkateTalker -- that was my experience, too. And my grandmother used to pack a huge lunch for my grandfather in one of those big metal lunchboxes with a thermos in the lid. I don't recall him ever getting sick.

And I have read that commercial mayo does not have the safety issues that homemade mayo does. I'm thinking that I read somewhere that tuna sandwiches made with commercial mayo had lower bacterial counts by lunchtime than did sandwiches made with just tuna.

11. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm 33 and I don't like sandwiches either. :shuffle:
    I hate making lunches for myself, so I've been creeping on this thread for ideas.

12. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

That IS odd. I send cut up strawberries with my eldest and it doesn't turn into juice at all.

I wish mine would try something different,he's so into his sandwhiches right now.Atleast they are healthy ones.But I still send him peas or broccoli to school and he does eat it thank goodness.He just has such a big appetite,it's hard to think up new things to add to his lunch box to sufficiently fill him up.(He's tall for his age)

13. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Yes, it is, but only a misdemeanor. It's a felony if you forget to include a vegetable, though.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

15. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

See, I was home schooled so I've never experienced the whole packed lunches/cafeteria thing. Now that I work I usually take a Smart One or a can of soup to work; there aren't much in the way of packable leftovers in my house but sometimes I'll take a potato or homemade soup or something.

I looked at that school lunches around the world and was just !!!. France in particular just stunned me; they serve ALL THAT to kids? I'm an adult and I wouldn't be able to eat all that, every day. Not to mention it looked seriously gourmet!

The USA lunches looked gross as did some of the Asian lunches, although I LOVE rice so I'd probably be pretty happy with those as long as the sides didn't squick me out. I'm not a terribly adventurous eater!

Props to all you parents who are doing your best to provide your kids with healthy, satisfying lunches that also meet a billion demands as far as permitted ingredients go.

I know that peanut butter isn't allowed at most places, but whenever I made a PB/J sandwich to take somewhere (like a theme park or whatever) I always had a problem with the jelly seeping into the bread and making it soggy and gross by lunchtime. I finally figured out that if I spread both sides of bread with peanut butter and then put jelly in between, the bread didn't get soggy. Although if you do this, make sure you wrap the sandwich snugly since the jelly with make the two sides slide around a bit. :p ;)

16. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

All of that looked horrific (though pasta and bread, yum), but I am a very, very picky eater. I only ate PB&J or peanut butter on crackers for lunch in school with fruit of some kind or celery and carrots. In high school I just never ate lunch because I was too lazy to make something and the stuff they served was Pizza Hut or like, bagels. Occasionally I'd have fruit. I'd probably starve now if I were an elementary school student!

17. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

US School lunches were revolting, but fortunatley I only experienced them in the 4th grade while in boston. I recall the pizza being similar to a piece of cardboard with something resembling cheese slathered over it.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So if you HAD to choose one of these, which one would you eat?

19. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

The curried beans from Djibouti or the Brazilian dish without the meat. Some of the Asian school lunches look appealing, but I would be paranoid about fish or meat based broths.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yeah, I am thinking one of the Asian ones but would be worried about mystery meat.

21. Spareoom

I'd eat France, but only if it were a third of the size. The amount of food they put on the tray as is is ridiculous.

22. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

When I was in middle/high school the schools made a deal with the local college that the culinary arts students would do their practical restaurant experience in the public school cafeterias. They got their course credit and we got restaurant quality meals for super cheap. It was win win.

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  23. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Italy's for sure, France's if the portions were cut down. Chile's & Brazil's looked pretty good, too.

I'll say one thing for the school food in the US though... it certainly looks about 100x better than it did when I went to school! Not saying it's any healthier, but at least it looks edible.

24. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I thought Italy's was the most interesting for my tastes. Accounting for cultural differences I didn't think any of the meals were bad aside from France meal #1 (random menu to my mind) and the US meals (looks like they trays are filled according to a formula with no concern whether it's crap or whether the combinations actually compliment each other). Would probably be better off throwing them the lone avocado or bowl of rice some kids were getting.

Photography can also be deceiving so I'm not convinced some of the trays were as loaded as they seemed.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Italy's sounds good and the picture looks good but it's not clear. The Czech one seemed to be the least appealing to me and the US ones, especially the one where I am having trouble identifying the food.

26. Spareoom

Haha, yeah, it's never a good sign when you can't quite figure out what the meal is supposed to BE.

Italy's lunch looked good too, until I clicked on the source link and read a little more. Apparently it's real Italian style food, every day, and it's not healthy at all. I think it would be awesome but every day might be a bit much, unless you were INCREDIBLY active and fit.

27. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

If I had to choose, Italian. Pasta. Yum. A huge portion, I'd probably eat half or less, but yummy. France's looked okay, but mostly because of bread. I like carbs.

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I remember the pizza. We had 2 days a week of that pizza. Well one day was the rectangular cardboard w/ pepperoni and cheese slathered on it. Another day we had Fiesta pizza which was hexagon shaped and was supposed to be taco flavored. Those were the days! :scream:

29. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'd eat Italy's, Sweden's, the UK's, the porridge (Honduras), avocados (Kenya), or the rice (Ghana). I'd also easily eat China's, Slovakia's, and Chile's without the meat since I'm vegetarian. In fact I've pretty much eaten a week or more of all of the above for lunch at one stage or another.

30. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

The Japanese lunches looks best to me :) I would also eat the ones from Singapore, Taiwan, China, Italy and Brazil :)

The French lunch makes me :confused: though... is that a plate of french fries and a plate of cheesecake? :yikes: And what are the mains in the second and third picture? :confused:

To be honest, I've eaten a lot of school lunches that were alot worse than the american lunches... :shuffle: