School Assigns Slavery Themed Math Problems To Students

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Whitneyskates, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

See...I KNEW this had to have been the result of a very misguided attempt to "connect" social studies to math. I have heard of such things before in the name of integrating curriculum. The problem is that even if it were not offensive, it actually does not enhance either the teaching of math or of social studies.

As for the offensive nature, teachers often get caught up in a method (such as integrating curriculum this way) and make very bad decisions without thinking. I am not excusing it. What I am saying is that our methods fads can turn out very badly because they are not usually well thought out. A middle school English teacher I taught with once had her students make collages out of symbols of racism like swastikas and then hung them up in her classroom. She came to the conclusion that this was a good idea because of a meeting where we were all encouraged to find ways to make lessons appeal to all learning styles and the collage was connected to reading a Holocaust novel and was to appeal to the kids with visual/artistic learning styles. She hit all the points on the learning styles checklist and never stopped to think that it is not cool to hang swastikas in your classroom or teach kids to draw them.