Scandal - Season Two Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Nov 1, 2012.

1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: uhm ... I wasn't kidding before when I said upthread I didn't remember what happened to Liv. How did she end up in the hospital again??
  2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't remember the scene precisely, but Liv saw his monitors and realized he had been spying on her. He found her right then, in the kitchen, and I think her hit her, and she fell and hit her head/got a concussion. I don't remember the sequence of events leading to her falling clearly though.

Jake wants her to believe that he has been protecting her, and I think he's told her she needs to keep quiet about what he's been doing.
  3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I didn't think he hit her. I thought she was trying to get away from him, he tried to grab her, and she fell.
  4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Cruisin is right.

I love recapping! Here you go:

Liv and Ballard have a dinner date at his place. Ballard pretty much convinces Liv to "move on" from whatever her last relationship was. Liv and Ballard have sexy time and when Liv wakes up she goes into the kitchen, gets a glass of water, grabs the remote intending to turn on the television and instead ends up staring at her own apartment on the screen.

Ballard tells her "it's not what you think" and Liv starts freaking out and tries to get away from him. He grabs her and she fights him. He pushes her to get her off of him and she falls and hits her head on the end table. Ballard tells her he's not going to hurt her and that he's there to protect her from someone. He makes her look at the screen where there's some guy skulking around her apartment...at that point Liv's vision starts to blur and Ballard sees the back of her head is bleeding. Liv blacks out.

She wakes up in the hospital with a concussion. Ballard quickly tells Liv to say she was at her apartment and was attacked and that she'd never met him before just as Fitz's security detail arrives in her room. That's when she realizes that Ballard was working for Fitz. Ballard leaves the room but peeks back in to see Fitz hug Liv...so now Ballard has a good idea why he's been keeping an eye on Liv but that wasn't addressed at all in the last episode. All we know now is that Ballard is working for the same people Huck was working for which raises a whole new set of questions. I still don't know if Ballard is a good guy, bad guy or what.
  5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Questions indeed! We know (or think we know) Ballard is working for/with the Joe Morton character, who in last week's flashbacks seemed to be fairly high up in the CIA back then. But we don't know what his job is now. However baseball-hat-guy also worked in the same outfit, and we are left with the strong impression that he is no longer on the same "side" as the Joe Morton character. So is Joe Morton still CIA, and baseball-hat-guy a former agent now gun for hire who is currently hired by Cyrus? Or is baseball-hat-guy still in the CIA and Joe Morton is in another super-sekret agency that is trying to curb the power & influence of the CIA? Is Ballard working for Fitz a coincidence, and he was approached by Joe Morton afterward, or was he planted somehow because of his past connection with Fitz?

I'm leaning toward Ballard being a "good guy," but only so far as anyone is actually "good" in this show. Everyone has some kind of ends-justifying-the-means background here, including Liv.
  6. kwanatic

It's a twisted web of lies, deceit, ulterior motives and drama...I LOVE IT!!
  7. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

:rofl: Exactly. I've lived here more than 30 years, and if you asked me how much of this is real and how much is screenwriting, I'd have to say -- I haven't the foggiest. I bet more of it is real than anyone wants to acknowledge.

Also I think Kerry Washington is 14 of the world's sexiest women. Take that, Gwynnie.
  8. BaileyCatts

:lol: My mom watches with me and can't get into it as much because (aside from all the fasttalking she can't keep up with) she finds it crazy that things like that could happen. I always tell her you know what ... shyte like that probably happens in Washington a-l-o-t more than we will ever know! There are really people who are "fixers" kind of like Olivia, right? Well, they gotta be fixin' "something" is what I say. ;)
  9. BaileyCatts

Thanks for all the recaps! I hate it when they take 3-4 week breaks on my shows because then I forget the details.
  10. kwanatic

OMIGAWD!! Last night's episode was amazing! I know I say that every week but seriously, I am in awe!!

I think Liv has coined a new mantra for women: "If you want me, earn me." That was a great line. That whole scene in the office was great. But boy, Fitz made one helluva down payment! That was an awesome display of love right there...he put everything and I do mean everything on the line. I loved the clock countdown scene. That was excellent. I wonder if Fitz still thought Mellie was bluffing? Cyrus' message seemed to get through to him but you gotta wonder if somewhere in the back of his mind he was hoping Mellie would back down at the last moment...

But she didn't. I can't believe she went through with it...and with James giving the exclusive nonetheless. That scene where Cyrus is sprinting through the tunnel is priceless! He looked as though he was about to have a stroke as he stood there watching Mellie speak. But here's the real question: What would Cy have done to Liv if Jake hadn't left his post? I'm really curious about that. And we know Cyrus isn't the mole, granted I never thought for a second he was...he does love his job after all. But who is it? And who exactly is Jake?! He's leaning more towards the good guy this week, but I still don't know where his loyalties lie.

SO much happened! But the poo is definitely about to hit the fan next week. You just know this show is going to end its season on a major cliffhanger and it's going to drive me nuts...only two episodes left!
  11. BaileyCatts

I can't believe Mellie actually went thru with it! Once Cyrus gave her the deal I thought ohhhhh ... that was her end game all along! Look at what she got them to give her! And then she turns it down?? Now I'm confused.

And yea ... what WOULD Cy have done if Jake wasn't there! Would he really have killed Liv?!

I'm totally lost on the mole as well. It better not be someone I like!!

And again with the fasttalking and I couldn't keep up (please stop it Producers!!) .... so Charlie only dated that girl so he could steal her computer because she was the court reporter who took the notes when David testified before the Grand Jury, right?? So this all comes back around to Defiance or he stole it to get all her notes since she has other Grand Jury transcripts as well?? I couldn't catch that part at all with the rapid fire speaking.
  12. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I dont think a single character on that show is happy.
    Was not surprised with Mellie going through. She knows Fitz is hooked and if he does not give her what she wants right now, he will leave her after White House.

"If you want me - earn me!" - am adding it to my favorite mantras ;)
  13. Artemis@BC

Me three. One more reason I am in awe of Olivia.

I'm not at all surprised Mellie when through with her threat -- though when Cyrus presented her with the offer there was obviously a moment there when she was seriously considering it.

So Cyrus isn't the mole (probably) ... but that doesn't make him any more of a good guy. He almost offed James to protect the secret, he sanctioned the torture of Huck, and who knows what he was planning for Liv. Is it really all just to save Fitz and his presidency -- and to get back into Fitz's good books? Or is there more there?

And is the stolen laptop really about the Defiance grand jury? There can't have been a lot of information worth stealing there, after all James lied on the stand and didn't give up what he had. I guess just the fact that the grand jury happened, what it was about, and the questions David asked could be worth something ... but I'm thinking there's another case record in there somewhere that's really at the root of this.

Oh, and I think I missed or forgot something: how do the gladiators know that Charlie is working for Cyrus?

BTW, I don't mind the fasttalking ... but I am a little tired of the shooting-through-windows-reflective-double-vision stuff. I know they're trying to show that there are multiple sides to every story, but they've been doing it in every single episode since the beginning and it's just annoying now.

But I agree that the clock countdown scene was amazing. That scene, and the one from season 1 where Fitz puts on Olivia's shoes in the woods ... those two should be shown in acting classes around the world as examples of the power of non-verbal communication and how to add intensity to drama. Wow. Just wow.
    kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  14. kwanatic

I think he's more concerned with preserving his position as Chief of Staff...it's the closest thing he'll ever get to being president and if you remember a while back when he was talking to James he confessed that he wanted Fitz's job. He wanted to be president but he knows that's never going to happen so now he clings to his Chief of Staff position as hard as he can. I do think he cares for Fitz, Liv, James and maybe even Mellie (to an extent) but his job comes before all of them. The reason he fights so hard for Fitz is b/c if Fitz goes down, so does Cyrus. It's in his best interest to keep Fitz's presidency pristine and intact.

Huck knew. Remember when Cyrus tried to kill Hollis b/c they thought Hollis had arranged the assassination attempt on Fitz? Huck came face-to-face with Charlie then (when he stopped Charlie from killing Hollis in the elevator). So Huck knew Charlie was Cyrus' guy then...he said he'd known ever since Amanda Tanner was killed but b/c of "the code" he didn't say anything to Liv. The reason he finally said something is b/c he's figured out that Liv is involved with the president...and the last woman who slept with the president ended up in the river! I love love love the relationship b/w Liv and Huck.

And is it just me or does everyone else just want to give Huck a hug? I want to give him a hug...

I notice that too. You gleaned more out of the meaning of the "double-vision" shot than I did...I just thought they were doing it to be "artistic". :) But ITA...I'm a little sick of it now.

Incredible. I loved it!
  15. Artemis@BC

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. I'm definitely going to have to watch all of season 2 again.

I'm still not convinced that there's not something more to Cyrus's motives, though. I mean, I know he wants to protect Fitz -- and by extension his own job and status -- but plotting murder is a pretty extreme length to go. I still think there's more to that story yet to be revealed.
  16. BaileyCatts

Would someone please tell me what the hell just happened because I am all kinds of confused now!!!!! :eek:

I am going to have to spend the weekend watching this again ... and again ... and again!! :confused:
  17. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

This show just blew my head off. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Look up the Amanda Tanner stuff from season one and I think you'll find out all you might be confused about right now. Where are they going next with this show????! HOLY. CRAP. :eek: :yikes: :eek: :yikes:
  18. cruisin

I missed the middle 1/3 of the show. I had paused it, to go and make coffee for the morning. Then I came back, knocked the remote off the table and it changed the channel and turned off the cable. By the time I got it back on, I missed A LOT! :mad: at my klutziness!
  19. kosjenka

The writing on this show is a hot mess...
  20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

OMHFG that was soooo goooooooooooood! I even feel sorry for saying that it has run out of storyline, that there's not much to develop any further. Billy coming back to conspire against Liv and Fitz with that prosecuter guy is so deviously tacky but I like it! Lol. Wow!
  21. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

OMFG. Just watched last nights episode.

I'm almost afraid to watch the finale. David?????
  22. kwanatic

I figured it was him as I started going through the list of people it could be. Think about it: he's the only one who has a real reason to hold a grudge against the country and the people who run it. Look what they did to him just for trying to expose the truth about Defiance. The ruined his life...he was the only one who made sense but I admit I didn't come to that conclusion until the middle of the episode.

But what's going to happen next episode?! It looks like someone is attacking Liv and I bet you anything the cliffhanger they leave it on is going to make me want to pull out my hair!
  23. Japanfan

I don't remember when have we seen Billy before. Can someone refresh my memory as to who is he and where he fits in, and when we last saw him (or were first introduced to him)?
  24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Answers are here (scroll down to near the bottom of the characters/actors list):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandal_(TV_series)
  25. cruisin

Really?!!!!!!!!!!
  26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

That ending just blew my mind. Didn't see that one coming!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW-I am SO GLAD that David didn't end up being a bad guy! I was worried Abby was gonna have to bust out her glock on him, LOL :lol:
  28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I LOVE JAKE:swoon:

ETA: just finished watching:(

Wow, that is one helluva twist! Just when you thought 'Whoa.. this is going too well,' then BAM!!
    Can't wait for fall!
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  29. bek

bek Guest

I'm sorry but I have a hard time with good guys bad guys on this show. I only watch once in awhile, But no matter what David did-David wouldn't be the bad guy.

What that not so nice guy said to David in terms of his relationship with the Gladiators was 100% true. Olivia company STOLE a national election. It deserves to come out. The gladiators also destroyed David's life and amen with the "crazy glue". No matter what David did, it wouldn't be "bad" in my mind. David is just about the only moral person on the show.

In fact I hope that David didn't really give them the correct card has the real one and is planning on prosecuting them all for what they did.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
  30. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I'm with bek on this. My main problem with the show is that the crime of Defiance hasn't come out, no one has been punished for it and they continue to treat one of the perpetrators (Olivia) and her enablers (the Gladiators) as good guys. They're really not. IMO, there's no gray area when it comes to rigging an election. They should all just go to jail.
    kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  31. cruisin

I'm not clear on how involved Olivia was. And was it willingly? Cyrus and Hollis were clearly the "ringleaders".
  32. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's how the series will end. Otherwise, it would surely be a very, very different show if everyone involved with the rigging were in jail. For one things, Olivia et al. would have a rather monotonous wardrobe.:p :slinkaway
  33. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Well, I don't pay attention to the wardrobe much. :p And I do enjoy the show. But at some point, they have to deal with Defiance and I don't want them to get away with it.

And cruisin, Olivia chose to get involved and to approve the rigging, IIRC. She wasn't the ringleader and she did it because she believed in and was in loooooooove with Fitz. Still, that doesn't excuse it.
  34. kosjenka

I am disappointed.

Maybe next season ends with all the gladiators in jail. That would be exciting.
  35. BaileyCatts

Wait ... so BR dude is Liv's DAD? But didn't he send that woman to her apartment to kill her??? You know, the girl that Jake killed??? She was with him when he was talking to Jake? And how did Jake know that Liv was going to be killed and better be staked out in her apartment?? And why did Jake get tossed in The Hole???

I had to watch quickly just so I wouldn't run into spoilers since I heard the ending was a WTF ending, so I need to watch again and pay attention to details. But I am :confused:
  36. Japanfan

BR dude didn't clearly indicate that he wanted Olivia killed, he indicated that he wanted something done to her, not necessarily death. IIRC he said he wanted her brought to him.

Jake is in the hole because he didn't do what he was ordered to do.

As to the good versus bad guys, I don't think there are any good guys. Perhaps there is bad and worse - i.e. have you killed anyone, or how many people did you kill, or how 'bad' were the people you killed. Billy Chambers certainly presented a justification of why he killed the people he killed. It's really hard not to like Cyrus (and James) but Cyrus is not a 'good' guy. Olivia is portrayed too much as a 'good guy' for my liking - and Kerri Washington plays her a bit too good for my liking - but she really is just one of the many shades of gray. She was okay, basically, with Fitz's murder of Verna.

This is a very black vision of political life. Murders and rigging elections are just part daily life. Everyone is out for his/herself and no one can really be trusted.

The absence of a good/bad polarity was made very clear, I thought, in the scene where Quinn took the electric drill from Huck and got a rush from using it.

Within all this, though, I'm not seeing a great deal of character development. As I've just watched the first seasons of "Homeland", I'm seeing a real difference and would say the latter is a superior show - though I love the twists and general 'blackness' of Scandal.
  37. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

When the female operative came through Olivia's door, the inference is that she was there to kill Olivia. I'm assuming now that she was there to take Olivia (at gunpoint) to see Daddy. Because otherwise it doesn't make sense that there was a kill order from this CIA shadow Division led by Daddy Pope against his daughter.

By the way, the female operative needs to go to attend Remedial Lock Picking. That was the loudest and clumsiest entrance into a target's dwelling that I've ever seen. Of course that lends itself to the theory that stealth and murder were not her objective, although Jake assumed it was and shot her.

By the way, Olivia's jogging ensemble was fabu! Just what you want to look like when you're ambushed by a hunger mob of press. The Fashion Police would approve.
  38. mkats

mkats New Member

Poor Jake in the hole :wuzrobbed:

I'm so glad that David's involvement ended up not being what we thought it was. He kind of looks like my boyfriend so I have a little bit of a soft spot for him :shuffle: although I'd think the safe would shut down after, oh, say, a few thousand tries, wouldn't it? :rofl: Abby found that book where he'd crossed off 4-number codes past the 5,000s, and in a previous episode when they still thought it was Charlie who'd taken the card someone mentioned how quickly he had gotten to it. Or maybe David had been working on it ever since he started sleeping on the couch...