Scandal Season 3 - the gladiators suit up again

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 30, 2013.

1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!! :wuzrobbed

I think I probably know who got shot based on what happened immediately prior to that meet up. But I will not look at spoilers! I will not look at spoilers!!!

But we have to wait for a whole week to find out?? NNNOOOOOOOO!!! :(

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I just really hope it's not David Rosen :(

3. BaileyCatts

I don't want it to be either one of them! :wuzrobbed

So I am going to go back and watch again before next Thursday, but from memory .... at the beginning (and again near the end) when you see Jake giving that speech about what you have to do to be B613, who was he talking to? Was he talking outloud to himself? Like stealing up his own self for what he was prepared to go do?

4. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

OMG....I saw this and about fell out of the bed! I wasn't ready for it, but they told me something was gonna happen in the last 30 seconds. But I didn't have any idea that it was going to be that! Shonda Rhimes is going to have me on medication. Or at the very least, make me start drinking wine. :)

I am so hoping that that was a warning shot and that neither of them were shot. I'm not going to be able to deal with Abby's break down if it was David Rosen. Yet, I can't imagine that Cyrus didn't send James to his death. I mean, he's evil and that's the only line that he hasn't crossed yet, right?

I know I'm wrong, but I'm still :rofl: at Sally. "Yum yum, crispy piggy! Yum yum!"

Olivia's revelation that all of the candidates were murderers was eye-opening. I mean, we all knew it, but to hear it acknowledged was pretty deep. As was all of the righteousness. Flawed perfection?

A week is too long, and I'm with Bailey, I refuse to be spoiled. That would just ruin it.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Who was it we saw talking with Olivia's mother in the episode before this one?

Also, it is driving me nuts that Olivia can't seem to make up her mind which side she on, or which position she is in.

And she needs to stop her affair with Fitz. Their going back and forth is driving me nuts, as well.

6. BaileyCatts

^ I think it was the same lady that is from Harrison's past, wasn't it? I can't remember her name now. But I think it was her because I remember thinking like "what the hell??" when that happened. Either by 'how the hell is Mama Pope hooked up with this chick' ... or maybe it was 'who the hell is this chick' if I ain't remembering correctly. ;)

7. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

I hope it is David Rosen, so I don't have to watch this ridiculous show anymore.

8. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I'm always so behind: I didn't know she was expecting! I had noticed a significant difference in her hair from previous seasons. But I figured either she was previously wearing extension, or having them done in a very different way, or - and this might have been correct - she had undergone hormonal changes.

I hate too when characters change, when they become different people. Writes seem uncapable of putting together interesting scripts for more than one season sticking to the original pitch. They either bring in new characters, change the layout, or change the exhisting characters. And that's annoying, and spoils the shows.

There have been successful shows (I would say the best ones), where writers were able to keep things interesting, while working with the initial material, having characters change/mature as we would expect their life to make them.
    Sex and the City. The Gilmore Girls. Everwood.

Wrong. Cyrus ordered his free lance B613 to kill the girl that pretended to be pregnant with the president's baby in the first season. He said it wasn't a huge loss in the grand scheme of things, or something along that line.

I'm rooting for Jake and Olivia. I don't why. Maybe because Jake had the shorter end of the stick so far, and he seems to care more than Fitz does. Maybe because Olivia is a better person with Jake than she is with Fitz - Olivia and Jake seems to bring out the best from each other. Maybe because I've routed against Scott Foley throughout Felicity, and now I'm flipped.

I wanna know who got shot, or what happened; if anyone has spoilers, would you care to post? Thanks. - Oh, apparently #whogotshot trended in the US.

9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

No one is forcing you to watch you know :rolleyes: It's cool if you don't like the show but people here do like the show or at least have something more constructive to offer in the way of a discussion than that. I'm just saying...

Anyhoo, I'm thinking it was David as well. Seeing as how Jake knows Cyrus and Cyrus would be well aware of the person responsible for James' death (if it is James) it seems more likely to be David. Don't forget, James showed up at the meeting to pull the plug on the whole thing. He'd changed his mind and decided he didn't want to pursue the story (as he always does...total flip-flopper) but, again, everything comes down to David in terms of getting the ball rolling. I think it'd be easier to pass off David's death as opposed to James' death.

Then again...that whole scene b/w Cyrus and James had me thinking James was about to get popped as well. The way Cyrus was apologizing I kinda took it as, "I'm so sorry for everything, I pushed you to this and you did it, and now you have to die but I do realize it's my fault because I pushed you and this now has to happen because of me..." IDK. I think David got shot...which would suck b/c awww, poor Abby. David doesn't have to die...he could just end up critically wounded and in the ICU for a while a la Fitz in season 2. Who knows? Looks like Jake is embracing his role as Command. I get the sense he doesn't really want to do these things but it's in his job description and he has to remember (and remind himself) that it's his responsibility as Command.

Whoa Sally! Seeing her flip out was quite entertaining, I must say. I guess it's good that she's back? The only reason they needed her to snap out of her cray-cray routine was b/c if she confessed she'd drag the entire administration/country down with her. Very interesting to see that B613 was prepared to take her ass out if she tried to the let the cat out of the bag...anything to protect the Union I guess...

FWIW, I freaking hate Quinn.:mad: I don't like what they've done with her character at all and I'm hoping she gets killed off in some shocking B613 mission gone wrong at the end of the season. I'm SO over her. She's like a bratty kid who gets pissed off at their parents after shooting themselves in the leg with a gun. You knew it was dangerous and yet you played with it anyway...then you get hurt and want to blame it on someone else. Quinn decided she wanted to play spy, got caught and suffered the consequences...she knew what kind of person Huck was so why she thought he'd go easy on her is beyond me. I'm annoyed with her and really hope she goes bye-bye soon...

I definitely feel as though the whole Fitz/Olivia relationship has lost a lot of its appeal but there's still some there. It's just not the focal point anymore. The show has definitely changed since season 1 and 2 but they are doing enough to keep me interested at least...and little shockers like this one definitely keep me coming back. Excited to see what will happen!

Re: Kerry Washington...she's such a beautiful pregnant lady! It sounds so cliche but she really does glow :swoon: She's adorably plump in the face but they're doing a decent job hiding her belly for the most part.

10. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Just wondering, are we sure only one was shot? We heard one shot, then it cut away. there could have been two. Let's not forget that if one is left alive, he can talk. Or, the other extreme, neither was actually shot, just warned that it could happen that easily. Just options :)

I think Cyrus is capable of killing James. Though, what would he do with the child?

11. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Or neither was shot. Maybe Jake wasn't the one who killed the ladies (do we know for sure he was?), so maybe he didn't shoot to kill David or Cyrus' hubby. Oh, I don't want to give my hopes up.

Kid is a toddler still. Adoption would be a valid choice. Or nannies. I don't think the show cares a whole lot.

12. BaileyCatts

^ Ohhh interesting theory. Maybe Jake shot the guy who shot the girls just before that guy was about to shoot James and David. I like that theory. It keeps them both alive. :)

Agree that Cyrus probably would just have a full-time, live in nanny and go about his life while the nanny pretty much raised the kid if it does end up that James gets shot. He agreed to the baby pretty much for James anyway, I don't think he really wanted the baby.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    loulou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Thanks. It's really just whishful thinking. I do hope someone'll still be wearing a white hat.

14. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

Damn! Damn! Damn!!!

I just can't talk about it now. I will be back......:drama:

15. BaileyCatts

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

I hate you Jake!!! :mad:

16. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Oh my, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm expecting bad news. Well, at least I'm prepared.

17. cruisin

I really wanted Jake to be a good guy. I can't figure out if he was always crazy or he snapped.

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think the show has become silly? I loved it at first. They got a job, gladiated....righted the wrong. Great.
    Now, everyone is emotionally out of control most of the time. Olivia is either kissing Fitz, or yelling at him. Characters who were compelling have taken a weird turn (Quinn). I am so disappointed. It was my favorite show, and now I can't get through it..............

19. kwanatic

It's definitely not what it used to be, that's for sure. I feel like the story lines used to be more varied (every week they were helping solve some different Scandal) with the underlying issue being Fitz/Olivia, which totally worked for me. This season the show feels a bit scattered in terms of what's going on and I'm really not sure where they're heading with all of it. There are a lot of balls in the air but nothing is coming together yet.

Mama Pope and that lady Harrison knows, though I still don't get how they know each other. Mama Pope was hiring terrorists for something but no one is sure what the hell she's up to...

As I've said many times, I'm so over Quinn. That whole thing b/w her and Huck was very weird. I just...I can't even...whatever.

I am getting annoyed with the scenes with Liv and her dad, mainly b/c Kerry Washington's face stays in an expression of perpetual horror whenever she's around him. It made me laugh last night!:lol: I like what was said in that particular scene b/w them but I wish their interactions could lighten just slightly. I need Liv not to look like an alien is crawling out of his eyeball every time they speak...:scream:

I will say I thought last night's episode was really good...better than recent ones actually. I liked all of the back story of how Cyrus and James came to be as well as Cyrus finally breaking down at the end.

Also I like what they've done with Jake only b/c it makes him a much more complex character. We all knew if he was part of B613 that he was messed up. He always seemed like a really sweet guy but if he's in that organization, it's a given that he's damaged goods. I like that as Command he's pragmatic and does what he has to do. At the same time, even though he has to kill people, he's showing some kind of remorse about what he's doing. His remark about killing James and those women himself instead of forcing someone else to do it and bear that burden was very telling about his character, as well as him staying with James until he died. I hate that James had to die and I hate that it had to be Jake. but it does make things interesting...

Way to go for Mellie!:D Bout time she got some action like everybody else!

I'm not too sure where they're going this season. It started off really well but they seemed to have lost their way somewhat as the season has progressed. This was a good episode...I enjoyed it. Hopefully some of these plot points and story lines will start to make sense soon.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. cruisin

Entire Quote

I think you summed it up nicely!

21. BaileyCatts

How old are Fitz and Mellie's kids supposed to be? They had 2 when the show started, then the baby born during the show, right? I thought the 2 they already had were like 8-10 years old when the show started (young elementary school age). If the show is progressing on a correct timeline, we are now 3 years later since the show started, right? So those kids should only be, at most, 10-13 years old, with the baby now being 2?

22. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I do. I too used to love it, and I don't.
    I still watch because how the settings make me feel, but the show is nothing like it used to be.

Cruisin: I too really wanted Jake to be a good guy, and I don't understand what the author is trying to do with those. Olivia laughs, but they're really all murderers, or busy covering them up. Still haven't watched (I will in a few hours), but is David the only white hat alive?
    Bad things happen to good people, and good people pave graveyards, we get it.

Well, they're talking re-election, so the show must have been progressing on a correct timeline, and it should be three years after they started. Everything you say should be true.

23. BaileyCatts

^ That's what I thought too. But in the previews for next week they are having dinner with the two older kids, and they are like high school teenagers (14-15-16ish by my guess), certainly not 10-13ish, and the baby (was his name Teddy?) was no where to be seen. That's why I wanna know how old everyone thinks they were when the show started (since they are hardly mentioned at this point), and I don't really remember how old they were supposed to be. :)

They have rapidly aged them if they are now sullen, resentful, bitter teenagers who want nothing to do with their parents. :lol:

24. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Sorry for my less than constructive post. I'm a Malina uber, so I'll watch whatever he's in, and hey, Rosen lives!

I think Scandal was a whole lot of fun at first, but it just keeps getting more absurd. I do enjoy Joe Morton chewing the scenery and Bellamy Young continues to be the best thing on the show.

25. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I've watched the episode. So, the new cause it's going to be (army of two) destoying B613. I wander how command will feel about it.

-- Bailey, I remember close to nothing about the kids. And maybe I wasn't being careful enough when replying to you, because I do think the older one was stepping into teen years at the beginning - somewhere in the back of my mind there's a visit they payed at the white house, probably in the first season.

26. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

This. I think the show explained it very well and is consistent in its own internal logic: by taking on the job of Command you take on the responsibility of doing horrible things that may be against your own personal moral code. So it's B613 that's "bad," not necessarily the individual.

Olivia and David working together to take on B613 ... :watch:

I agree that the show has taken some very odd twists this season -- some I'm loving, some not so much. And I was really hating Quinn in particular until about 3/4 of the way through this last episode ... then it took a turn for the interesting.

I'll keep watching for as long as they keep entertaining me.

BTW, I think there is something odd about the timeline. There have been a couple of big jumps in time (like about a year after Fitz recovered from the shooting, IIRC, plus before that to cover Millie's pregnancy). And Fitz had obviously been in office for close to a year at least when the program started because Olivia had to have had time to be part of the administration, be involved in the early-administration storylines that we've seen in flashbacks, leave, set up Pope & Associates, and become established in that job. So for the re-election campaign to be just getting going now? ... I think they're playing a bit fast and loose with the space-time continuum.

27. cruisin

28. kwanatic

^^Lovely!

Good episode last night. It seems like things are starting to pick up in the final few episodes of the season.

They took down B613 rather easily. I'm sure if Command was some random guy none of them knew it would have taken a lot longer. Instead, all Liv had to do was sleep with Jake and bam, just like that, they get the keys to the castle.

Shame they pulled the plug at the wrong time and now everything is going to hell. The B613 quandary is a tough one. On the one hand they do horrible things...but on the other, sometimes those things are necessary. This was one of those times.

Loved the scene with Liv and the VP candidate (can't think of his name) and I also loved how Mellie slapped the hell out of Fitz. Fitz is being selfish and hypocritical. He doesn't want or love Mellie...but he doesn't want anyone to want or love her. That's dirty...men and their ego/pride/double standards. :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see what they're going to do with the bomb thing now. Only two episodes left I think...

29. BaileyCatts

What?? What?!! So let me get this straight .... Mama Pope kills this Senator (or whatever) dude who is going to have a Washington elite funeral at which like half of the Senate, Congress, the VP and the Prez, and other high ranking political movers and shakers will be at his funeral and plants a bomb at the Church. Olivia tells Cyrus that is where the bomb is, and his only reaction is to delay Fitz for 20 minutes to let the bomb go off so that essentially "takes care" of Sally ....... but what about the other 500 people at the funeral??!!

Did I understand that correctly??? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  30. cruisin

I think you did. I am hoping that something unexpected happens to thwart the bombing plan. If not Cyrus is screwed, Olivia knows he knew. And I can't see her holding that one back.