Scandal Season 3 - the gladiators suit up again

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 30, 2013.

1. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this show would be so much better without any of the Pope family characters? Kerry Washington's acting is just soooo overwrought and the show would be so much better if they went back to the original premise and took care of some Washington scandal each episode. One that had nothing to do with Olivia Pope or the President.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^It seems that Shonda Rhimes has a definite plan for how "Scandal" will play out, so I don't think that the show is very far from her original intent (even if the storylines are more "incestuous" rather then dwelling on scandals external to the main characters surrounding the White House inhabitants and those in their employ. Of course, she may well change her mind and prolong "Scandal" beyond what she originally envisioned, which may take things in a different direction.

3. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

There is a lot going on, to be sure. It is a challenge for me to keep up with everything, including those story lines that haven't been completely wrapped up. With Kerry's real life pregnancy, you can kind of tell that some of the story is spinning away from her and onto the other characters. She's not in nearly as many scenes, and I guess she's already starting to show since we see her sitting, wearing lots of coats and bags to cover her bump. And, we've already been told that the season is going to be cut by a few episodes to allow for the end of her pregnancy/birth, which I'm okay with. At first I really wanted a lovechild, but thought better of it.

Those Popes are the definition of dysfunctional family. And tell the truth, who saw the end coming, with Papa Pope now out of a job and Mama Pope back in DC?

Was I the only one happy to see righteous holy-roller Sally Langston lose her mind?

February 27 is a long way away......

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I do miss the old format of the show where there was a new scandal every episode. That kept things really fresh and you never knew what to expect but now I am far more invested in the characters than I was back then, so the twists and turns are just as exciting as seeing what new scandal they have to fix this week. I guess it is a trade off. I wouldn't mind them throwing in a new scandal every once in a while, which they have done occasionally but not in a while.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm finding that characters' believability is being stretched. Jake in Command of B-16? Quinn committed to Wonderland?

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I do find it really odd they could just over-throw Olivia's dad so easily. I mean, this whole B-16 thing is supposed to be, in some ways, more powerful than the President or the U.S. Government. But then, you can just go sit at his desk with 2 guards and tell him he is out? I mean, we all know it won't be that easy and I am sure he is planning his revenge right now but come on. Those who followed/worked for him would not be so easily turned. IMO.

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Eli may have an inflated sense of how important he is. What he did/does/is may not be above the president's pay grade. That said, I don't think he'll go quietly. In fact, I don't think he'll go at all.

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Pushing the bounds of plot believability IMO.

Agreed.

9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It took me a minute to catch up (leave out of the country for a week and you miss A LOT of shows) but I caught up on Scandal on Sunday.

Whoa....

So, I was right about Liv's mom being locked up for a reason. I figured she was a terrorist of some sort, especially after she escaped, but I hoped it wasn't true...you want to hope the girl has at least one decent person in her family. Now we see Mama Pope was an in the wind terrorist for hire. My understanding is that she was in the process of stealing secrets about the government from Eli/Ronan/Command (all the same person). She got on the plane to leave but Eli stopped the plane and pulled her off. That's when she told him about the bomb; rather than let the bomb detonate over London, Eli made the decision to shoot the plane down (carried out by Fitz). But as Liv said, "She (Mama Pope) didn't believe in anything" which means she wouldn't have signed up for a kamikaze mission. Only after the fact did he find out Mama Pope was lying about there being a bomb on board, which means Eli/Fitz killed hundreds of people for no reason. And that's why Mama Pope had been locked away for all of those years.

Whew. Yeah, it was a lot to take in. And the whole thing with Quinn and Huck was pretty rough. Quinn seems to be out of Pope & Assoc. and is now part of B316 fully...but with Jake running it does that mean things will be different?

The scene with Fitz and Eli was pretty awesome. Eli is out of a job now but I don't think he'll go quietly. I wonder if Jake being Command now will change him? When he said goodbye to Liv it was like he was saying goodbye. I'm assuming she won't be told that he's been promoted to Command...Fitz and Jake may keep that to themselves.

The whole thing with Cyrus and James was intense and the whole Cyrus and Sally thing was insane. So much stuff is going on!! And David has the recording...what's going to happen with that?

February can't come fast enough IMO. :)

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I can't see how he (Jake) could stay unchanged by being in that position. Its very nature is to be covert and, well, dirty -- outside the somewhat-more-accountable NSA/CIA. To quote Lincoln: "To test a man's character, give him power."

The goodbye was, I think, not just because he's disappearing into B316, but because in order to do so (and to be so closely allied with Fitz), he has to take himself out of any competition for Liv's affections.

And I agree they'll try to keep Olivia away from knowing, but she'll no doubt find out before too long.

11. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

HA! I had to watch it twice too!!

What didn't make sense to me from the get go was the mother saying that she discovered what Olivia's father was, and was going to get Olivia away and blow the whistle on the father. Except she didn't bother to take Liv with her to England.

12. kwanatic

Very true. I can't remember who said the quote but: "Power doesn't corrupt. It reveals."

If Jake is truly a good person (as good as a B316 person can be) then I don't think he'll go on a power trip...but seeing as how he is now "above the President's pay grade" I think we might see some change. But then again, Fitz put him in that position so I would hope he'll maintain some kind of loyalty to him...then again, that exchange they had in the oval office revealed a little bit of the jealousy/resentment Jake has for Fitz. Maybe that will come into play?

13. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I just want Fitz and Olivia to marry....and then see where all that goes. I think it would be a fascinating story...........Divorce in the Presidency, inter racial marriage, gladiating.....really fun stuff.

14. cruisin

I got the feeling that Jake has issues with Fitz, because Fitz likes to come across as so righteous. Jake knows what he did. Maybe he is more disgusted than jealous.

15. Artemis@BC

Bumping this up in preparation for the return on Thursday.

:watch:

So I'm thinking Kerry Washington will be beginning to show by now -- but hey if they could hide Clare Danes' baby bump in a much more physical role, I'm sure they'll manage it fine here. But it might put a bit of a crimp in Liv's amazing fashion style.

16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Man its been so long I can barely remember what's going on with the story line. I don't mind a two week break for things like Olympics, but its been like 2 months! We need a recap episode before we get back into the story again. :lol:

17. Artemis@BC

They often do a "previously, on Scandal" at the beginning of the episode when it's only been 1 week, so I'm just assuming they'll help us out on that score on Thursday.

Of course going back and re-reading some of this thread helps too!

18. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Marathon going on right now on BET.

19. kwanatic

So excited!! I'm so glad everything is coming back.

The last and most important thing I recall from the last episode is that Mama Pope is back in Washington and will undoubtedly stir up some crap. Also, Jake is Command now. No telling what kind of person he is going to be. He seems like a good guy but power can corrupt/reveal. Seeing as B316 apparently has more power than the President, it could be a bit of a power trip for Jake to have Fitz by the balls so to speak. :D I can't wait to see what happens.

Also, is there a Grey's Anatomy thread? Anyone here watch that too? It took me about 4 months of watching on and off but I've finally caught up to this season. I watched it when it first came on for the first 3 or 4 seasons but then I stopped. Since I started watching Scandal as it airs this season and I've been watching Grey's too...but they're on season 10 and I didn't know all of what was going on. I'm all caught up now. The mid-season finale was a shocker. I can't wait until that comes back too.

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^ There was a thread until last season but I haven't seen one bumped up yet. I still watch GA and it used to be my favorite show but the magic is long gone:((still I can't quit watching it:wall:) With Sandra Oh out of the picture, I really can't imagine GA going on further. Sooooo tired of all the disasters/affairs/diseases spreading on the show! It's the same ol' same ol' "shocker" each season, so tiring. I heard that original team of writers all left by last season and the current team consists of a bunch of new writers who don't even thoroughly understand the dynamic among characters. I hope it gets shoved off by ABC but sadly I don't see that happening with their rating being consistent:/

21. Artemis@BC

^ IKWYM. I just can't quit even though it's so eye-rolling! I've told myself that when Sandra Oh leaves, so do I ...

The new writer team makes sense. Sorta parallels the new resident team -- none of which I've connected to, even remotely. I can't even remember their names.

There was a GA thread started for this season, btw, but wasn't kept very active. If you spelunk back to October or so you might find it. Coz after all this thread is supposed to be about a much, much, much better show! :cheer:

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  22. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^Totally! When I realized that Shonda Rhimes was focusing solely on Scandal rather than on GA, I just forgave her for neglecting GA:lol: Can't wait for thursday:cheer:

23. kwanatic

There's only one story line I'm interested in on GA: Jackson and April. :swoon: The shocker for that one was he stood up at her wedding and told her he loves her...and naturally the show went on a 2 month hiatus after that :wall: so we won't find out her answer until tonight. I'd like to think she'll say yes to him but then again this is GA, where people don't get happy endings. If she says no I'll probably throw the remote at the TV...

It's probably time for them to wrap up this show but apparently Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey signed on for two more seasons so it doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon...which is why I'm sure Jackson/April won't get a happy ending until much later if at all.:mad:

Anyhoo, I'm excited for both shows. Can't wait until tonight!! :watch:

24. kwanatic

Re: Grey's Anatomy: YAY Jackson and April!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: That is all.

Okay, on to Scandal...ooooh, stuff is getting crazy.

First, I think the director's are doing a good job of hiding Kerry's baby bump. It's always interesting to observe camera angles and the way a scene is blocked when they're trying to hide a pregnancy. Something always just so happens to be right in front of her midsection (a chair, a purse, a lamp, someone's head, etc.)...it's cool.

I hate Sally! How do you jump ship but not jump ship? The guy running her campaign (can't remember his name) is pretty damn good...but I just want to punch him in the face!

The lunch scene b/w Liv and Mellie was really good. I love how Mellie can basically call Liv a whore while still smiling and laughing as if they're comparing beauty tips.

That scene b/w Liv and her dad was intense. Daddy Pope just basically told Liv that he's gunning for the present...literally. Didn't he say Fitz wouldn't make it to the end of his presidency? He's a scary dude and obviously he doesn't take losing his position at B613 lightly.

Jake seems to be on the right path when it comes to being Command but I do think there could be some issues down the road. I don't think Liv using Jake as a cover is going to work out. There are feelings there and I don't think Jake is going to enjoy being a "patriot" if it means playing with his heart.

Fitz has Liv in a vise grip and won't let her go. Understandable I suppose...but it could be to the detriment of his presidency, especially with Sally's campaign runner snooping around the White House every day.

Sally Langston is killing me! I can't believe she has convinced herself that the devil is the one who killed her husband...to the point she's not even taking responsibility for his death. Oh, and James...wow. He is preparing to take Cyrus and Sally down. Remember during the whole Defiance thing when Cyrus ordered Charlie to kill James? If news gets out that James is the one who is about to uncover what Cy did for Sally, I wouldn't be surprised if Cyrus gives that order and lets it stick this time.

I hate Quinn...I really do. Kidnapping kids? Really? Over her...

I'm not 100% sure what's happening with Harrison? From what I can tell someone is after him; was it the woman who showed up in the coat? Hopefully a bit more will come out for that story line b/c right now I'm confused...

So Mellie had an affair with Fitz's running mate? I'm assuming she's the one he was talking about when he said he was in love but let it get away from him. This should be an interesting story line...

I'm confused as ever but I'm so excited this show is back! :respec:

25. cruisin

I was surprised that Leo didn't tell her to forget the whole thing, after she said all of that. I mean, she's nuts!

I got the impression that Mellie was with him before she was with Fitz. So, would that be an affair? However, I get the impression, there will be an affair, in the future.

26. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Well, at least I am happy for Mellie. She is bound to get something from this debacle and since her hubby is busy, his running mate will have to do.

27. Artemis@BC

As soon as Mellie gave Liv the "order" to start up a beard relationship I pretty much knew it would be Jake. It's a bad idea but a good one too -- and I'm confident Jake knows exactly what he's getting into.

As for the rest of it ... all good wowser stuff. The writers obviously spent the hiatus time well!

The biggest creep-out moment for me was Quinn basically using every child-abductor trick in the book on that kid. So slimy, and so typical of how this show will cross any line ...

28. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I've been watching The West Wing on Netflix the last month or so and after watching Scandal the other night it was like the sound of a scratching record. Talk about two vastly different shows about the same subject. I feel like my IQ dropped a dozen points.

I hate Fitz, I hate Cyrus, I hate Sally, I really hate Quinn, and even Olivia is working my last nerve. The only characters I enjoy watching are the ones that have never changed who they were this entire series: Mellie and Olivia's Dad. And maybe Joshua Malina's character whose name is escaping me at the moment. Love them or hate them they have a plan and they stick to it. I'm actually rooting for Dad to take out the entire administration and B613 for no reason other than it'll end all the doe-eyed drama. Which would really put a hole in Shonda Rhimes' writing, I'm sure.

29. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Mellie is the queen! :glamor:

Loath Quinn and that sleazy guy she is with.
    James is also a sleazy hypocrite and he can only think good of himself by burring Cyrus as the only bad guy here...

Sally is still interesting.

I have to mention that I am starting to resent the writing of the show. All of the characters have the tendency of giving speeches and making emotional monologues. The writers should make the communication styles of the characters more distinctive.

30. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

This is a really good summation of where I am with this show, except I know that Josh Malina's character is David Rosen, and Malina is the only reason I am continuing to watch the show. That and George Newbern (he plays the creepy hitman Quinn is currently hanging out with) is from my hometown.