Scandal Season 3 - the gladiators suit up again

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 30, 2013.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I hope Liv's mom is a good person, or at least as close to a good person as she can be.

Re: Mellie's rape...I agree. I think it's sad that that happen to her but in the same breath it was her choice to keep it quiet. She could have told Fitz but she didn't. I think she knew deep down that if she told Fitz that would pretty much bring any idea of him becoming governor to a screeching halt. Don't forget Fitz never wanted to be governor; he was pushed into running by his dad, Mellie and Cyrus. If Fitz knew what happened to Mellie he and his father probably never would have spoken again and he never would have run for governor. Mellie knew if she wanted to get Fitz to the governor's mansion/the White House she'd have to swallow that whole incident with Fitz's dad and keep it to herself.

It's a burden she bears but it is one she chose to carry b/c she wanted Fitz to succeed...so that she could succeed. To a certain degree she does the things she does for Fitz but it's for her as well. Fitz is Mellie's meal ticket; she needs him to get what she wants. If he does down, she goes down with him so it's in her best interest to protect him and do things to keep him in his position of power...so that she can maintain hers.

What an effed up relationship they have... :p :lol:

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

^^ Absolutely! And isn't it ironic that, in not telling, Fitz went on to become president. And in becoming President, he met and fell in love with Olivia. Mellie sort of self destructed there.

3. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Am I the only one still wigging out over that opening scene of Mama Pope going bonkers on her wrists last night?! Those images haunted me all morning today. :yikes:

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Finally caught up last night after missing a couple of episodes while I was away. And holy frack! That's some pretty intense stuff Shonda's been saving up for us!

Everyone has already said what I wanted to say, so I won't repeat myself. Except to say that I'm pretty darned sure we won't get any definative answers in tonight's episode. Momma Pope will no doubt tell Liv her story ... but we have no reason to accept that whatever she says is true. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to those scenes.

I'm hoping that Quinn will come completely clean with Huck -- and that Huck will be able to fix Quinn's issues asap. That's a storyline I can do with finishing, now. Though using her to feed false info back to B316 seems like the logical way to go there.

A question, though: why did Fitz seem so accusatory when he showed the picture of Liv & Eli to her? Also, about 3 episodes ago it seemed like he only recently found out that "Command" was Liv's father. Did I misinterpret that?

So looking forward to tonight's episode! I just hope I can stay up for it. I wish I had time-shifting with my cable package so I could watch it in an earlier timezone.

5. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I don't think so.

I have a feeling Liv's mum is no angel. Liv's father said to her: "Whose fault is that?" referring to the fact that Liv's mum disappeared from her life. Doesn't ring nice.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

They are actually airing a new episode on Thanksgiving night? I assumed most shows took holidays off, being that so many people are focused on family gatherings and football games.

7. Artemis@BC

^ Oh, yes of course, you're right. Silly me. I don't know how I could forget it's Thanksgiving for you folks, given the ten zillion "black Friday" ads I've seen.

Instead tonight there's a 90 minute Muppets special. With Lady Gaga. :lol:

ETA: new ep next week, though. I was worried there that they'd leave us on that note until after Christmas!

8. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

AACK! Just caught up with this episode. Yes, Heather, I was totally wigged out and continue so. What a freaking scene...!

9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Man I hate waiting for new episodes!!

This is probably old news, but thought I'd post this Kerry Washington clip because it kills me every time! She be funny and totally nailed the 'girlfriend' attitude. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMQX9ZExsE

10. cruisin

Kerry Washington is just awesome! Gorgeous, talented, smart - basically perfect!

11. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Kerry Washington played a role in "Save the Last Dance" (movie from 2001). I was watching the movie the other night, and I recognized her from her voice, I'm not sure I would have made the connection otherwise, although once you know you can definitely at least notice the lips.

She is playing Scandal greatly, and she is really beautiful.

12. Artemis@BC

13. cruisin

Tonight!

14. BigB08822

Her mom was/is a terrorist!! I called it!!

How does all this stuff keep happening!? It is so crazy but it makes this show so freaking amazing.

15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Ok....my head is going to spin right off my shoulders! I have to watch this again.....wow........

16. cruisin

There was a power outage, right in the middle of Scandal, last night. Fortunately, I DVR'd it and was watching it on delay. So, this morning I watched the end of it. I'm still not sure that anything is what it seems. Huck torturing Quinn was hard to watch.

17. Artemis@BC

Yup! The fact that she was able to escape from the high-security super-sekret prison was the giveaway for me. Plus, why else would Eli have kept her locked up for so long? He may be a control freak, but he'd need some clear rationale for that.

The Quinn scenes were about the most interesting things they've done with her for ages. Pretty hard to watch, though -- and in fact I closed my eyes a couple of times.

A question, though: A few times they called "Command" by another name, not Eli. Can't remember what it was though. Where did that come from? And what was the context of that name -- his work name?

Turned it off before they showed the scenes from next week, I want to remain completely unspoiled. Can hardly wait though!

18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think the name was Rowan, but don't know the context. Maybe it is a second name, or nickname?

19. BaileyCatts

So Liv's mom really is a terrorist, and the sheet that Eli had issued to keep her from getting out of the country was all her real crimes as a terrorist, right? So she only used Liv to get out of the country then, right? Man, I need to watch this episode again!!!

And Sally!!!!! :eek:

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that Rowan was the name Eli used as Command?... Since it's the name Fitz knew him as until WHOOPS SURPRISE.

21. BigB08822

Her mom definitely used her but do you think that was her plan all along? I don't know if she knew enough about Olivia to know that Olivia would be in such a position to help her escape from the country. She really knew very little about her until she met her the day before. I think once she realized how important Olivia was that the wheels started turning.

22. cruisin

I hate that her mother used her!

23. Artemis@BC

Yes, that makes sense, thank you. So I guess it was just Fitz & Jake who called him Rowan.

24. BigB08822

Ok, so Olivia's mom was a terrorist but she didn't actually put a bomb on the plane? She just said she did, knowing that her husband would pull her off and let the plane explode anyway? I am really confused on how all of that supposedly worked out. So Olivia's dad not only hates her because she was evil but because she tricked him into killing 300 people? Killing people doesn't seem to be a big problem for him, even though he said in a previous episode he didn't like it. That whole scenario just seems really really hard to pull off. How would her mom know that he would pull her off the plane and have it shot down? How could she possibly know it would work out that way? Am I missing something?

25. BaileyCatts

I second all of the above!!! :confused: And what the hell is Mama Pope doing back in DC?! Hiding in plain sight type of thing or is she there to exact some revenge .... and we gotta wait until the end of February??!!!! :wuzrobbed

Loved the whole Sally story line and cover-up. And what shall happen with the taped phone call, especially after he already spoke with James about him thinking it was a murder/cover-up too. Will David run with it or bury it since the last time they almost ruined his life?

26. cruisin

If it was possible to pull Mama Pope off the plane, why not just evacuate it? Why leave everyone else on and shoot it down? That whole plot seems ill thought out.

And really, the coroner walks away because the VP throws herself on her dead husband? No, investigation after he is removed from the house? No mortician? Pretty hard to believe they could pull that off.

Love the show, but wish they would not deviate from reality so extremely.

27. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm probably wrong about this, but I thought that Olivia's mother was pulled off the plane because she was a terrorist/spy and they wanted to interrogate her -- and after it had taken off is when she said that there was a bomb onboard. Perhaps she said it was set to go off upon landing/descent and that is why it was shot down, rather than trying to evacuate the passengers?

Off course, so much of the show deviates from any "reality" as I know it, that I am not holding it to avoiding holes in the plotline. I just keep :watch: :lol:

28. Artemis@BC

Wasn't it that they pulled her off the plane because she was a terrorist, and then she told them there was a bomb on board? And then there wasn't time to bring the plane down before the "bomb" went off so they shot it down?

Still pretty wacky but somewhat less illogical.

I too found the coroner walking away a bit of a stretch, but maybe that's how things supposedly work in the corridors of power. At least in Shondaland.

The scene between Fitz and Rowan, thought, and esp. Rowan's rant, was fantastic writing & acting.

29. Artemis@BC

^ skatingfan5 is a faster typist than I, obviously!

30. cruisin

Just to be clear, I LOVE this show. But it is fantastical sometimes!