Savchenko & Szolkowy or Volosozhar & Trankov

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Dec 11, 2011.

Which team do you prefer?

1. Savchenko & Szolkowy

127 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Volosozhar & Trankov

77 vote(s)
    37.7%
  1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Between Savchenko & Szolkowy or Volosozhar & Trankov, which team do you prefer and why?

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

S&S for now, because they're more developed artistically and have a great variety of programs. V&T are still new. If I had to compare S&S during their second season (05-06) and V&T (11-12) I'd pick V&T.

Such a shame V&T didn't hook up right after Torino. :(

3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

They're both really good huh? There's almost a foot in height difference between V/T O.O

4. koatcue

koatcue New Member

These teams are GREAT!)I hope they'll build a similar rivalry in pairs to V/M&D/W in dance

5. millipied

millipied New Member

Both are fine teams when they are on. But based on tonight's event, I believe that while S/S showed the most of what they are capable of at this stage, V/T with all the mistakes, more room for improvement and still almost beat them. That says a lot about unrealized potential V/T has.

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Why isn't there a 'both' option?

If I absolutely have to choose 1, I'll be shallow and pick V&T on the basis of Max being :swoon:.

7. DimaToe

DimaToe Drum, Dance,Skate

Program quality are what's keeping me on team S/S at this point, V/T definitely have more potential right now, but their programs cant even hold a candle to the masterpieces that S/S have this season.

8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

V/T. They just have "it" for me. I've never been much of a fan of S/S although I do appreciate some of what they do. Honestly the only time I was ever moved by them was their "Out of Africa" skate. V/T are still raw but they have the potential to be one of the greats, imo. I like passionate skaters.

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Both!
    S/S for intricacy and originality, V/T for the "grand sweep".
    I love them both, but I really want Maxim and Tatiana to get a World Gold, and at the very least an Olympic medal. They've been brilliant all along, and waited long enough.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

"Out of Africa" at SC, "Schindler's List" at LA Worlds... S/S made me tear up quite a few times. V/T make my heart race. Choices, choices.

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I like both, I decided based on their programs this season. I love S/S's Pina free program, so many details to see. :swoon:

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

S/X at this point. Their Programs are masterpieces

13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I love them both. I like V/T a little more because I appreciate their more traditional style, but I really do like both a lot.

Good poll question, BTW! It appears as though FSU is 50/50 on this one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I never liked S/S so I picked V/T. That doesnt mean objectively speaking I think V/T are the better team now if both skate their best, but I definitely like them more. S/S just dont appeal to me whatsoever.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

We are twins. :D

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  16. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Gah, both teams are fantastic that it's really hard to choose. (FSU agrees. Exactly 50/50 split in this poll at the moment!) I chose V/T, because I prefer their more classic style and they have some of the best elements I've ever seen. Watching them is exciting, especially knowing that they're still a growing team. I completely respect S/S though, and I love their current Pina FS as well as Schindler's List from a few years ago. Until V/T, they were the only pairs team that were semi doing it for me.

17. pumba

pumba New Member

For me S/S for their amazing opening and closing throws, versatility and very often - a masterpiece programs.
    V/T on the other hand have probably one of the best twists ever and both are gorgeous skaters with wonderful skills and one the best posture of all currently competing pairs. They do really lack in cool programs though.
    So S/S by now but the margin is very narrow and I think V/T have enough time to realize their great potential by Sochi.

18. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I love S and S. I really want them to win gold in Sochi especially after what happened to them in their beautiful Out of Africa FS in Vancouver.

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

S/S. I love how innovative they are and how they challenge themselves artistically and technically.

I was very excited about the V/T pairing when it was first announced (I'd hoped it would happen) but I really don't like the direction they're going in artistically.

20. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

Overall I respect S/S more because of their longevity, creativity, and always trying to push themselves.

But honestly, V/T are an all-time best team in the making, and they've only been competing in ISU for 1 year. They legitimately almost beat a clean competition S/S, it's really something unreal how quickly they are developing. The way they looked at this GPF was a way more developed pair than the performances at Worlds last year. I think with two more years they will be getting 10's. Lot's of them. And they honestly might deserve a lot of them. They combine power, finish, grace, and beauty as well as any team that I've ever seen. And they do each skill so well that all you can do (besides trash the choreography) is nit-pick tiny little details here and there. And they haven't even been together 2 years. Two years from now they'll have over twice as much experience as we saw in their performances today, and if we see performances twice as good as today in Sochi from them I'll be the first to call them the best pairs team of all-time.

There is still so much they can work on and so much to be done, but the potential in them for growth when they're already deservedly scoring very high and being legitimate World champion contenders is crazy. If there has ever been a sky's the limit slogan for any team I've ever seen, it's V/T.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I prefer V&T. This is only their second season together. In a couple more seasons they should be even better. They have all the tools to win championships..... Keeping my fingers crossed that they stay healthy for many years.

I did not like S&S in the past. I like their programs this season, but still dislike the opening and closing pose of their LP.

22. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I can't choose, sorry. The existence of both is good for us all, and they're so different!
    Hope both teams stay injury free and challenge themselves these next seasons.

I'll pick Ingo, Robin and Max though:smokin: for my night pleasures if you won't mind

23. floskate

floskate Vacant

I love both teams but V&T's skating has the style that appeals to me most. It's a shame their SP is so horrid and the LP, which is good, is just not on the same choreographic level as S&S. I was surprised it was as close as it was last night so with better programs and more mileage, who knows what V&T are capable of? It was just so great to see two pairs delivering like that. Hopefully the rivalry between them will continue to bring the best out of each partnership. We, the fans, are the lucky ones who get to witness it. :cheer:

24. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Impossible choice; I can not participate. I love them both in equal measure for different reasons! I root for them both to do their very best! :swoon::cheer2::encore:

Yes, throw Smirnov into the mix and let the good times roll! :hat1::swoon:

25. Hanna

Hanna Politicking for more stationary lifts

Funny that you mention 05-06 as an example (I mean, I do see "why" - their second season compared to V/T's second season). That was the year when I completely fell in lurrrrrve with S/S because of their marvellous Camera SP. I thought that program was the first sign of what was to come - first sign of their originality and unique transitions, which, until that point, were pretty nonexistant in pairs skating. IMO.

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I prefer Savchenko&Szolkowy because I love their unique style and I've loved so many of their programs. I prefer Volosozhar&Trankov's skating actually. But I don't particularly like any of their program.

27. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

One of the best SP ever. For me, the first program that made me think CoP was not that bad, after all. :)

28. sequins

sequins Active Member

Like many, I love both teams and the only reason I voted for S&S is because of the experience, they've been around longer and there's more for me to judge on. However V&T are fab and I can't wait to see them progress. So ask again after the 2014 Olys:)

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

S&S :encore:

Both teams are judged so close now that neither team can afford to make a mistake when going against each other. It would be nice to see V&T try more challenging music and choregoraphy and stay away from the somewhat garish outfits that distract from their lines.

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I love that SP. :) S&S were much sloppier at that time though, that's why I said I prefer V&T at this point in their career.

Interesting how many people in this thread said they prefer V&T as skaters, but S&S' programs. It's crystal clear what V&T need to do. Drop Nikolai Morozov from their team.