Saturday postal service (USA) to be discontinued starting in August

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Feb 6, 2013.

1. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I often feel as though those of us old enough to have bought LPs and 45s, thought a push-botton phone was a great new time saver, and pounded the keys on a non-electric typewriter are thought by some to be from something akin to the late Jurassic era. :lol:

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, the phone thing, to me, seems crazy! I see people who have their credit card on their phone and they just scan their phone when they pay for something. What if your phone is stolen? And anyone who donates their used phones had better be sure they are wiped clean.

My husband had his stolen in a restaurant. Fortunately AmEx is pretty quick to notify you with unusual purchases. It seems a nuisance when it is you using the card, but I never get upset when I get a credit card check in a store. It's for my own protection. And the card's as well, since they are ultimately responsible. But, I know a few people who pay on line and have had problems.

3. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I don't mind them discontinuing Saturday delivery, even for packages. But in that case, I want them to keep the post offices open on Saturday with perhaps extended hours--that's the only time some people who work during the week can go. I would also like to see an option to have it delivered on Saturday for an extra fee. I believe UPS or FedEx does this.

4. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

My grandfather was a postman....before the PC letter carrier designation. He retired in 1942, before I was born. I often think of Grandad wearing his wool serge uniform year-round, since modern letter carriers wear casual cotton shorts and hats. I have often been told that Grandad had to deliver the mail on Christmas morning, so the children had to wait until his return from his rounds before opening their gifts.

The job kept him healthy, though. Grandad lived to be 100!

5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

And I'm thankful that my old stereo and turntable with the giant Panasonic speakers still works! :lol:

Seriously, though, even SS will soon stop mailing checks and require recipients to either use automatic bank draft or a type of debit card. It's a much safer system in regards to the safety of mailing the checks through the US Post Office.

6. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

It's not just the USPS, I've had both UPS and FedEx carriers (in both Honolulu and San Francisco) abandon packages where others can take them, and the same companies have delivery men who did other shady things like forge my name when it's delivery with a required signature, and once I caught a FedEx guy tossing my package against a wall to land on my door step.

7. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

No Saturday delivery won't bother me. The post office in the small town where I live is always open, but the window for buying stamps, etc., hasn't been open on Saturday in years.

Although I pay my bills online nowadays, I still buy stamps by the book because I send lots of greeting cards.

8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

No Saturday post, no penny ... it's anarchy up there! :lol:

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think the change is a good idea. I am really fond of the post office. I still think mailing a letter for $.46 is a good deal. And I love our postal carrier Traci who is a source of endless good will. And God knows I've kept her busy as I collect ornaments and she always attempts to give the packages to me rather than leave them on the porch.

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

There's a lot of people in this thread who don't have much experience waiting for checks to arrive in the mail.

Love,
    Independent Contractors

11. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I do. I love snail mail.

12. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

UPS is the worst of the three, in my experience. They ignore instructions for restricted delivery-with-signature, which generally costs more, and just dump the package on the porch with not so much as a knock. FedEx generally follows directions about restricted delivery, and failing that, at least knock on the door before dumping the package.

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

One extra day honestly wouldn't kill you. :p Unless you needed it to pay rent that month, which would point to issues a lot more serious than late mail...

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect me now, as my primary work is as an employee.

But if you are trying to start a business from scratch, and you are getting the equivalent of 4 or 5 months revenue in the mail from a client, yes, it will matter. Not just the absence of delivery on Saturday but - I'm guessing - slower services generally. This is just another in a series of cuts to the postal service that has slowed down the mail and made them less competitive at a time they need to fight to keep customers and maybe win some back.

It's almost as though congress wants to give private carriers a boost or something. Funding pensions 75 years in advance? I don't get that!

15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Can you not get people to pay you direct deposit? I supported myself soley as a freelance writer for a year and I never had a mailed check. I didn't know people still did that.

We have to wait for the payment from our rental, but the lease says it has to be in our hands on the 1st, so that is really the tenants problem with mailing early, rather than ours waiting for it.

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'm a contractor and my money gets direct deposited.

Which reminds me. My agency is late in paying me. Again.

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I've worked many freelance jobs and never once been paid via direct deposit. Especially for one-off jobs, it's easier to write a check. Even my PT job at a state college isn't direct deposit.

Then again, waiting a few more days for my freelance check (which was probably mailed late already :p) doesn't make much of a difference. But I have been in situations where it would.