Saturday Night Live: Gay/Staight Figure Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ks1227, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

:lol: I'm sure lots of fans here will be upset. But what did you think of the SNL opener on figure skating and sexual orientation? The good news is that no one can claim any longer that sexual orientation in figure skating is a "private" issue. It's obviously out there in the public culture! :D Discuss! :kickass:

2. Glide2

Glide2 Member

AAAAAAAAAAA! Fake Scott! Fake Tara! The humor was lame. The non skaters were lame. It was okay funny. Best thing was - it was FAKE SCOTT and fake Tara!

3. bluestocking

bluestocking New Member

At least they didn't spoof any REAL figure skaters. Scott & Tara impersonations weren't bad.

4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

But it wasn't funny. The Nancy Kerrigan skit was funny. The little Sasha bit they did was funny. This wasn't funny.

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

fake tara was great, fake scott missed the grunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnttttttttttttttttttt. It was kind of lame. Should have asked FSU how to do it.

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Saturday Night Live hasn't been funny in years.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It wasn't that funny and the audience was applauding the cast members on ice skates more than laughing. It was the whole gay guys do triple axels and straight guys bunny hop or can't skate.

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I thought the Pairs team was funny ...

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

That was ok and near funny.

10. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen the Kerrigan skit, but I do remember the Sasha one and one where Molly Shannon portrays Kwan.

This wasn't all that funny, I got a weak smile during the pairs one.

A couple of my non-skating friends commented about how they "thought of men's figure skating" when they first heard about the gay propaganda ban in conjunction with the Olympics, so it makes sense SNL would do something like this.

11. BaileyCatts

True. Like tonight .. not funny. But it does have its moments sometimes. When Justin Timberlake is on and wears those silly mascot outfits, that is so freaking hysterical I have tears by the end of the skit (of course, Justin ain't a cast member but still its damn funny!). Keenan puts out some funny stuff. And when they did a press conference of NYC Mayor after Sandy and played up the interpreter ... way funny.

12. BaileyCatts

Can't believe I never saw this one. I always try to watch right around Olympics to see if they do anything Olympic related.

13. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

They should bring Maya Rudolph back to host and let her do a Donatella Versace skit on the skating Fashion of Sochi. :rofl: I loved that Donatella skit so much.

14. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I thought it wasn't that funny, but Taran Killam and Cecily Strong are two of my favorite cast members so to see them as Fake Scott and Fake Tara was really great. I was still sad we didn't get a "bunny hoooooOOOOOOOPPPPPP?!?!?" in the style of "triple luuuuuuUUUUUUTZ?!?!?!"

15. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

Bobby Moynihan reminded me of Elvis Stojko's exh at the 1994 Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4cdyBvfd0g

16. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank SNL for doing that skit upfront, followed by another predictable host monologue (that brought out Live-Fast, Looking-Old Leo **). It helped decide to turn it off quickly. (And this from someone who's been much influenced by the show over the years.)

If you don't watch SNL regularly, in recent years they've been surprisingly backwards in making gay jokes IMO, esp. considering they have at least one gay cast member now.

** And I don't like JT either. There's something so smarmy about him. :p)

17. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I thought it was pretty funny actually. Cecily's "Tara" voice was spot on.

As for SNL not being funny for years, all a matter of persective. IMO the show with the occasional bad sketch here and there has been pretty damn funny for the last couple of years. More consistent then a long time. It has had great stand out cast members in the last decade or so like fey, poehler, Wiig etc.

But if people are taking offence then so be it. I love figure skating and have for years. I didn't find it offensive at all. But one of their best figure skating sketches was when Jason Priestly starred as Brian Denning.

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

The only figure skating skit that SNL did that was funny was when Nancy Kerrigan hosted SNL and she and Chris Farley were a Pairs team and David Spade played Scott Hamilton. LOL

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

^^That was great

Does anyone remember Tom Hanks Jason Priestly skit in '88 or '89? He was a skater, dressed in a baby blue cowboy outfit? The camera kept zooming in on his pelvis and he would pretend to shoot his prop revolvers from the hips?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  20. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I remember that one...hilarious! :lol:

21. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

Years ago, Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman did a hilarious Scott Hamilton and Verne Lundquist back when the Os were on CBS. Jason Priestly was the host (which shows you how long ago this was if Jason Priestly was a big enough celeb to host SNL) and played a male skater named "Brian" who pretty much splatted through his whole program. I'm pretty sure it happened right after Hubert's infamous '92 long program or right before, in which case it was pretty prescient on their part.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I did too. Also, having sat through so many local competition with tiny 4 year old skaters who could barely move across the ice, I found the routines amusing. And the Tara impression was pretty good. The guy playing Scott missed so many opportunities though. Scott is so easy to impersonate and he was kind of bland.

My favorite part was when Tara asked Scott if he thought a performance was good and he said "No. But it's not up to me, it's up to the judges." :lol:

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

24. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this one! LOL. Chris Kattan's Kerri Strugg. :rofl: IIRC, Sarah Michelle Gellar was actually a competitive skater as a kid.

It's been YEARS since I've seen it but I remember Will Ferrell (or whoever the commentator was) kept asking Molly Shannon/MK what it was like to be "back competing in your homeland" :lol:

25. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

I thought it had highs and lows. Loved the first guy playing the brute guy-guy, and the pair really cracked me up -- it would actually be a great idea for a funny exhibition number, what with pair guys needing to get pretty intimate with their partners. And the impressions of Scott and Tara were spot on.

And any attention to skating at this point is a good thing.

26. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

Really? Maybe it's different in Canada, but its been out there in the public culture here for many years. The vast majority of non-fans/non-educated of figure skating think that male skaters - singles, pairs or dance - are automatically gay. It's one of the reasons why it is so difficult to attract boys to the sport, or keep them if they dare give it a try. Hockey is manly. If you figure skate, you must be gay. Therefore, since we still live in a fairly conservative and homophobic world, both gay and straight boys and men in the sport often end up experiencing being politely tolerated to being teased and even physically beaten up. It's worse in small towns than in the bigger cities generally. In the bigger cities, in the larger more elite clubs, it is more common to see a a bunch of boys (still a small percentage) who figure skate. In the smaller towns it's not uncommon to have no boys at all, or just 1 or 2, that figure skate.

I dream of a world when it doesn't matter if one is gay or straight, but only how one skates. Where one is respected for the athlete he is, gay or straight. And where it is acceptable and respected to be a figure skater, gay or straight. We aren't nearly there yet, unfortunately.

27. BaileyCatts

Now I really want to see that Molly Shannon/MK one. I've been searching and haven't found it yet. If anyone finds it, post it please!

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

No.

29. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

What always amazes me is that no one ever sez, or thinks, "oh, she's a *figure skater*-SHE must be gay!"
    I mean, why not? Wouldn't it be logical to assume that figure skating would be equally attractive to gay women?
    And what about the fans attracted to this gay sport? OMG they're all gay too!!! Eeek!

Can't we just enjoy the skating without speculating on sexual orientation :p

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Can you ask on this and other forums if a skater is gay or straight?