Sasha Cohen tries new name, starts over as student

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Prancer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I have no idea. I have never read anywhere on here say that they think Michelle is "smarter" than Sasha.

I have read that many of Michelle's fans and non fans think she is a hard worker, a very focused and motivated woman who is obviously very bright. I have never heard or read anyone link these comments in any way to Sasha.

I have read some comments that state Sasha made pretty bad choices during her acting career-like the Bratz movie and that weird reality show she was on that only lasted a few weeks. But never that other skaters were "smarter" than her. Maybe the OP who made the comment is confusing people's opinion that Michelle made a smarter choice in 2006 to peruse school rather than an acting career like Sasha did.

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan was brought up because The Iron Lady made an inviting snarky comment about Kwan fans, and someone responded in jest. Now we have this whole discussion of why Ivy League schools will inherently have better students in general than other universities.

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Back to Sasha's case, if she is still interested in acting, then being a Columbia student will allow her to hone her acting skills in a no-risk, supportive, experimentation-friendly, learning-oriented environment - whether in formal coursework or in campus productions outside of the classroom.

Moreover, to the extent she duplicates CC's vaunted Core Curriculum as a GS student, then having a broad liberal arts background, particularly one where she is exposed to essential literary and historical works, will only enhance her ability, from an intellectual perspective, to understand and interpret the roles and works she will come across as an actress.

And, in any case, being exposed to a challenging academic environment will only prepare Sasha better for whatever she wishes to pursue. Kudos to her for pursuing a quality educational experience. :)

PeterG, rfisher, Sasha'sSpins and 3 others like this.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The latest I heard was that she wants to do marketing for hedge funds.

5. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I remember someone posted a video of Sasha discussing marketing or something along those lines-she was impressive, really seemed quite knowledgeable about the subject.

6. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Here's the video of Sasha talking finance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qndb7wf8PTo

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Hey who knows? One day I could be stoking my AM addiction of watching Morning Joe when they go to Wall Street for the daily report and we'll see Sasha as the correspondent. I'd love that.

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I was really impressed with her on that video about finance when it was posted previously. She knew a hell of a lot more about that stuff than I do.

Anyway it is great to see she is doing well and making a life for herself outside of skating.

9. aims

aims New Member

I've read somewhere that 'Sasha' is a nickname for those with 'Alexandria/Alexander/Alexandra' types of names in Russia. Yuko Kawaguchi's partner Alexander Smirnov is also frequently mentioned as Sasha.
    So obviously she didn't quite pick this name out of the blue.

10. Sasha'sSpins

Won't let me rep again just yet but thank you NinjaTurtles! That's the one-and I really enjoyed it the first time and now the second time around! :cool:

As a kid I would've LOVED those blingy pink skates! ♥

11. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

I am a graduate student at Columbia and i teach there and it could not be more wrong what some others said about Sasha being admitted under some special program. It is true there is a back door way into Columbia through the School of General studies. But it does not expect less of students. students take the exact same classes as other Columbia students and they are graded the same way. I, as an instructor, do not know who is GSG and who is not. Some requirements as far as classes are slightly different but they are not in any way separated from the rest of the university.

Mostly older students with unique backgrounds get admitted there. Some of my best students have come from SGS. Indeed, almost all of the students I had from SGS were great students. The students are usually in their mid 20s and really want to be at school so they work very hard. Some of my former students were world class ballerinas, veterans, etc. It is really a perfect program for people like Sasha bc there are other people like herself who accomplished much in another field and now want a high quality education.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

She looks like Megan Mullally in that last photo.

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I was thinking Lisa Loeb.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Yup. Here's the March 2012 article titled "You can call me Alex: Cohen embraces normalcy" and subtitled "Former Olympic silver medalist plays rugby, studies at Columbia": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120305&content_id=27017474&vkey=ice_news

Tim Goebel graduated from Columbia through the School of General studies as well - see this
    May 2010 article: http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2010/05/17/senior-profile-tim-goebel

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Tim actually influenced Sasha. He has done well for himself with a mathematics degree, and I'm sure his career will continue to grow.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What does he do for living? Not counting recording inane skating commentary with Jenny Kirk.

18. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Her comments sure make it seem like they are a couple. He is very handsome!

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I posted this in another thread:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

An analyst for Nielsen as in Nielsen ratings? Cool. Thanks, Sylvia.

He is. I hope they are happy and they certainly seem so. Another skater wedding on the horizon?

21. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Didn't Tyra Banks do some sort of quickie business program at Yale or Harvard that basically anyone who had the money could enroll in? I know University of Miami offers a four month paralegal program for the modest price of almost 9k, compared to other schools in the area who offer it for 3k or less. Same premise, basically anyone who forks over the 9k can attend, and pretend like they went to U.M.

Not that I'm saying Sasha did that. I do recall an article about her playing Rugby from last year. For those worrying about her being too small, it was a flag Rugby team. No contact.

22. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

23. Sasha'sSpins

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. rustyskater

rustyskater Member

Yes. That was the person in the restaurant. I recognize the beard and dark hair. It was Sasha! I knew it.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sasha Cohen rang the bell at Nasdaq with Emily Hughes and others I can't see. Pic 1 Pic 2 She looks thrilled. :cool:

26. Sasha'sSpins

Cool. :cool: Thanks for the pics!

27. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

My first thought when I saw the 2nd photo was "Are bat wings back in fashion?"

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um, yeah. For a while now. :shuffle:

29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

OMG that top would be very popular among older women in Miami.

30. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Cohen has never been good at dressing herself, which is a shame, she is my dream client!