Sasha Cohen talks finance, designing colorful skates and advice to Gabby Douglas

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by IceAlisa, Aug 7, 2012.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000107465

Enjoy!

The strange thing about this video is when they talk about her skating career, playing skating music and showing...Sasha's red carpet appearances. What, couldn't find a tape of her performance?

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I saw this this morning. It must have been after this clip, but they did show a picture of her in her short program dress from the Torino Olympics. Good for her for going back to school. I thought she looked very pretty.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks for the clarification! Makes more sense now.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I think she did a good job in the interview. Glad she's found something else that she enjoys this much.

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Thanks for the video, she looks so gorgeous and she's so smart! Like the new colored skates she's working on. It feels so weird for her to talk finance, I felt like I was watching Neil Cavuto. Congrats to her for going to college, she's such an inspiration.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think it's an interesting analogy, the stock market and elite competition, the incredible highs and lows. She really is very articulate.

7. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

OH - thank you so much for the video. That was such a treat. Love the skates!

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Nice to see her with something she loves. A little surprised that she's friends with Tara -- Tara has pretty much dropped out of sight, and I hadn't realized she was in New York.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Tara and Sasha have been hanging out for a while it seems.

10. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

Glad Sasha has found a new path and seems excited about it. The skates look kinda silly and not practical but whatever works.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. I think she is onto something with designing skates because there will be skaters who would like something like those. Well done to her. She seems very smart, focussed and obviously has a head for finance (stuff that I just do not understand).

12. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I laughed at pink strollers, designer covers for car seats and finally have caught on that everyone wants to be unique (well, uniquely the same :p). Designer skates will be popular. A lot of skaters would be willing to have their parents pay. Why have ordinary when you can be "special"?

13. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Very cool interview, thanks for the link! Great to see her invested into a new career direction. She intelligent, well-spoken, fast-talking, and aggresive, and I think her financial advice is very sound! I'm sure she will do very well.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skaterdelight

skaterdelight New Member

Good to see her moving on. Sasha's father is a corporate attorney, I'm sure she gets lots of help and input about business from him and other family connections. Her mother is also a real go getter.

15. query5

query5 New Member

way to go sasha, keep you dreams up and going.

16. samiller

samiller New Member

Sasha has a lot to offer. She's quite knowledgeable about finance, and she has great business savvy. Her "designer" skates are a bit OTT (IMO), but I think that it's just so inspiring to see her preparing for a great life after she's done with professional skating.

Not only are Sasha and Tara close friends, but Sarah Hughes also hangs with them along with two guys who are doing great things as well. I cannot remember their names, but one was an Olympian who was greatly involved in humanitarian causes. Tara has done some broadcasting--I've heard her on one occasion.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Jeremy Bloom and Joey Cheek?

18. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Wondering who would buy these skates other than professionals. I've never seen a competitive skater in anything but white or beige boots. It's already becoming a bone of contention with skaters and their coaches with skaters who want the colored blades. Also, it's not really anything new to have colored skates. They can already be made custom with other brands. I wish her the best though.

19. TheGirlCanSkate

I was right - all the girls oohed and awwwed over them. I haven't found a link to her business though!

The difference is price (per Sasha) - custom designs are very expensive and these are supposed to be less expensive (implied).

They can always tape them for tests.

20. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I was wondering why these would even sell to professionals. Don't boots have to be really broken in and comfortable to wear throughout the competition year? If you have multi-color boots, that only go with one skating outfit, I can't imagine the boots would be at all comfortable. If someone, say Alyssa, decided to wear these new colorful boots: she'd have one pair for short, one for long and how many for her exhibition/show programs? Not feasible IMHO.

21. TheGirlCanSkate

Exactly - I think they are for kids/teens who can skate tape or boot cover them for tests and comps. She said they were "affordable".

22. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I know several coaches whose skates are now in fun colors and patterns. DH's coach had pink suede Klingbeils and one ice dance coach had a pair made that look like Timberland work boots in brown and beige, very cute.

And yes, the dreaded OTB tight can hide a multitude of sins, including colorful boots. Good for Sasha, she is using her head here and moving into a good place. And she has researched the markets! Go, Sasha!

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Colored skates will be popular with the LTS crowd. They grow out of them so fast anyway!

24. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:D :)

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I only just watched this video - thanks for posting the link!

This article link from June 2012 was posted on FSU about the NYC Olympian social get-togethers of Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Sarah Hughes, Jeremy Bloom and Joey Cheek:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/s...five-former-olympians.html?_r=2&smid=tw-share

26. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well from the look of the skates on the video, they seem on the neutral side of being colorful-almost like a color accent on the skate. I think they might work!

She is much more articulate than she used to be, and she seems like such an adult now!! I am so glad she stopped trying to make it in Hollywood.

27. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

You can tell she was so proud of herself talking all that finance!

28. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Man, I always liked her as a skater, with her porciline doll features, and as a personality. But this is a side of her I didn't know or expect!

29. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thanks IceAlisa! It's always a real treat to read any updates on one of my all time fave skaters!

Sasha looks gorgeous as always and I'm happy for her that she's gone on to other interests in her life. :cool:

Oksana/Pasha Grishuk wore skates dyed lavender or purple at the 1998 Winter Olympics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNmarKjyiY

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Interesting but that is the exception rather than the rule. I am skeptical about anyone other than coaches wearing colors. Then there is a question of the quality. Are they going to be that great if they are affordable?