Sarah Ferguson Caught 'Selling Access' to ex Prince Andrew - for $500K!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, May 24, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5415074/in_sarah_ferguson_scandal_who_keeps.html?cat=17

The late Lynn Redgrave was quoted a few years back calling Fergie a "Rent-a-Royal".

What I don't understand is why she's been crying broke all these years....she's sold books and been a spokesperson for Weight Watchers.

How humiliating for her and her family. ABC Nightly News did the story too, and it was so obvious what she was doing. And the Queen ain't happy. Understandably, neither is Prince Andrew.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I am not defending Sarah, but if the Queen of England was your mother in law, how easy would it be to make her happy?
    I suspect rhe Queen is not the easiest mother in law to live with. or ex-mother in law.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

True, I don't disagree with that, but she was caught red-handed selling access to her ex-husband for cash. It doesn't matter what kind of MIL ol' Liz is - this is shady.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I find this bizarre and disturbing.

She still lives a life of luxury but is always crying poor so I don't have much sympathy for her.

5. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Here's tonight's very complete report (well, four minutes) from NBC Nightly News.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#37304253

Scotland Yard says it's unlikely a crime.

She arrived in Los Angeles today to receive an award and has made a statement. She says she's devastated.

(For those interested in other things, the reporter at the 2:30 mark is a hunk! lol)

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I don't know what to think about ms. sarah's actions, I was just responding to the queen not being happy. :scream:

7. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

It's a little hard to believe that Andrew was completely clueless.

8. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Wouldn't shock me at all if he was getting half

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Methinks she's going off her rocker.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Liz is NEVAH happy!!! :lol:

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Gotta love those Brit tabloids. Sarah is the second high profiled person in as many weeks to be catch on tape saying things they would love to take back. LOL

12. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

13. heckles

For the same reason we're talking about it here. Royals fascinate people, even though few admit it.

14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

That's not my impression of the reason the reporter asked for access at all. He was posing as a businessman, and from the conversation, it seems that Andrew holds significant pull with certain things business-wise. The article describes Andrew as a "trade envoy" with influence on international deals.

ETA: Andrew is the UK Special Representative for International Trade and Investment.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  15. deltask8er

she explained to Oprah why she did it: :nopryde:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37439590/ns/today-entertainment

(literally "no pryde" :( )

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ouldve-listened-to-me-says-foot-suck-pal.html

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Fergie sounds a bit foolish.

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  17. heckles

Not buying her excuse. She appeared very much in control.

18. Civic

Civic New Member

If you can believe Tina Brown's "The Diana Chronicles", money (or lack of it) has always been a problem for Sarah Ferguson. During her marriage to Prince Andrew, her wardrobe was always being compared to Princess Diana's but neither she nor Prince Andrew had the income the Prince and Princess of Wales enjoyed. She also was generous enough to pay off her divorced mother's substantial debts. Of course most people get by on far less money than Sarah Ferguson but most people don't have to contend with public expectations and the tabloids.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Naughty naughty, you will get caughty. *wags finger*

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Andrew's income is less than Charles'? Hmmmm. What about the toe-sucking financial analyst who said Fergie didn't listen to him regarding his financial advice?

21. Civic

Civic New Member

Yes. Prince Charles is a multimillionaire in his own right independent of the Queen's vast fortune. I believe most of his personal wealth is from the Duchy of Cornwall which accompanies the Prince of Wales title. Prince Andrew, otoh, is dependent upon whatever allowance the Palace settles on him. He may also receive a pension from his service in the Royal Navy.

From a strictly financial standpoint, Sarah Ferguson would have done better to marry a wealthy businessman or entertainer than a younger son of the Queen of England. Also, Tina Brown opined that Buckingham Palace screwed Fergie over in her divorce settlement.

He's probably right. She may have expensive tastes and little financial sense. Otoh, she's a public figure and the former Duchess of York. Her public may have expectations about how she should dress, etc. that she feels pressured to live up to. In her shoes, I would have adjusted my lifestyle to my income and let the chips fall where they may. But then, I don't waste much time wondering what people who don't even know me think about me.

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I would like to know who else this guy has given advice to, and how credible he is, before listening to any advice he has to give to anyone.

IIRC he lives off a trust fund from his wealthy family, and so "financial adviser" is just what he calls himself because he doesn't have to work.

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think this is that big a deal, and it's only getting attention because of who she is - because stuff like this happens all the time. Businesses pay lobbyists to get them in front of government, people and businesses pay PR people to get them in good with media, law firms hire former politicians for their connections, charities put bigwigs on their boards for the same reason.

Obviously if Sarah wants to style herself as a consultant who can connect people to Andrew, then Andrew should know about it (ethically, and as a courtesy to the father of her children), but otherwise I don't see what the fuss is all about.

24. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I fell fast asleep during the Oprah-Fergie interview today. What I did see, I don't buy. Another "I'm addicted-I've hit rock-bottom" celebrity boo-hoo. Jeez. I am beginning to see why the Brits have had it with her.

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I just watched it. She seemed to have a very flat affect as if she were on some medication. Not that she should have been excitable, but everything sounded "gray," even the things that were hard to admit.

26. deltask8er

At this point, she should hook up with Paul McCartney's ex-wife :grope: :bribe: .

I could never understand anything she says. Maybe it's the accent. Or maybe even Brits think she talks as if she has marbles in her mouth.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That's almost right, except that Charles' income comes from the lands he has as Duke of Cornwall, not Prince of Wales. The only thing he gets from that title is that. The title.

The only money Andrew has is his yearly allowance from the Civil List, his Naval Pension and whatever he gets as a Peer of the Realm of the House of Lords. That's it!!

As for the interview...She sure didn't do herself any favours and the ones I feel the most sorry for are the Girls. Not only is this added stress they don't need to begin w/, but they're both sitting their University Exams right now.

Perfect timing. :rolleyes:

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Because the Queen is still the Head of State in England. So the opportunity to lobby a member of her family is (theoretically) access to power that could override the decisions of Parliament and the voters.

It's not illegal but it certainly is unethical.

29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Several years ago Fergie was on Bill Maher's old show on ABC. She was talkinga bout her daughter Beatrice, and everyone, including Bill, thought she was calling her daughter a 'bitch'. It was so funny, and everyone was hearing it like Bill did.

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  30. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

:lol: yes :)