Sandra Loosemore SkateWeb

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by operagirl, Apr 24, 2012.

1. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

What ever happened to Sandra Loosemore, who had the SkateWeb site. For years it was one of the few sites about skating. Her reviews were witty and fabulous and a pleasure to read.

Last time she updated the site was in 2010.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

I got the feeling that she isn't a fan of COP, and with probably other things in life going on, slowly loses interest in the sport. :(

Sad, I used to love her national reviews and her CBS writeups.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

She posts every once in a while on Skatefans. And she's pretty cynical about skating today. Still a wealth of knowledge though.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That was one great site. Easy access to anything and everything about skating, and designed by someone who really understood how the web worked and who made a website that loaded quickly and correctly on virtually any browser, free of all the annoying design features (blinking! red text on a black background! strange watermarks!) -- and hardly ever a dead link despite having many hundreds of links on the various pages.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Yes. It was GoldenSkate before GoldenSkate. The first place to go for all your skating resources and links.

6. AnnMJensen

AnnMJensen Member

I miss SkateWeb too - Sandra did an amazing job, but COP and the politics of it all did her in I think.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I liked her site, too, and it was certainly a wealth of information.

Particularly before the advent of Youtube and streaming, where she would cover events personally, taking photographs and writing reviews.

It was a risk however, if you wanted to have your own site linked to hers, as she was very particularly about formatting. I loved Flash, especially for the drop down menus and forms, but she didn't like it or plug - ins of any kind. Maybe she foresaw iPad (LOL).

Anyway, her site is missed.

8. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I checked her user profile here and she hasn't posted since July 2011. That's well past the advent of IJS/COP so maybe she has just become interested in other things.

I agree her website was great.

9. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I checked her user profile here and she hasn't posted since July 2011. That's well past the advent of IJS/COP so maybe she has just become interested in other things.

I agree her website was great.

10. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

The last I heard she had moved to Colorado Springs. But what her current attachment is to skating, I don't know. Used her page all the time.

11. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I actually still use SkateWeb. A lot of the links for sites I go to all the time still work so it is still very convenient. I go back from time to time and read her reviews of past events.

I do think that the IJS and the secrecy in judging caused her to lose interest. She hasn't taken the site down, and I certainly appreciate it :respec:

12. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

She was also a great photographer! I used Skateweb as my gateway to results before I joined fsuniverse.

If any of you haven't looked at her froggy skaters, you should. They are adorable! Reedeep!

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!

14. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Didn't she use to post under the screen name "dr.frog"? I miss her posts!

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That's correct. shine.

16. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

If anyone knows how to reach her (at Skatefans?) it might be a nice idea to pass on a link to this thread so she knows how much she has been appreciated. I'm no longer a member there so I don't think they'll let me post.
    Suggestions?

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member