Sandra Lee's LAST Cookbook...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Apr 6, 2013.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Because the two things are totally equatable.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Because most people would rather starve than to eat that cake?

And she works my nerves with her assumption that she knows what is going on in American kitchens. She doesn't, not really.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I'd believe that she had a clue if maybe a huge number of her recipes didn't actually cost more to make using all the store bought crap she destroys in the process, but they do. They're more expensive and sometimes actually more or just as time-consuming as doing it from scratch or using better ingredients. She has no idea.

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Most people who buy cake mix use it to make a cake, not a hate crime with corn nut sprinkles.

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I thought her magazine stopped publication :confused:

And WTH is she wearing in that picture? (besides her face that is so plastic-surgeried she can't smile any more widely) That quilted white fabric looks like it came from a car seat cover.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

She is clueless! Her recipes are EXPENSIVE!!! Not to mention horribly unhealthy and the children going hungry need a) affordable food and when they do get a good meal it needs to be nutritious. She is providing neither!

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

She definitely misses the point. Most people have no issue with the premise of her show. I think most of us have recipes that are "semi-homemade." Probably most of my "go-to" party recipes fall into that category -- fudge that uses chocolate chips and condensed milk; cheesecake that uses graham cracker crumbs, Philly cream cheese, and sour cream; guacamole that uses pre-made salsa, and dishes with sauces that often are adulterated versions of chili sauce, soy/worcestershire, or hot sauce, etc. The problem with Sandra Lee's semi-homemade recipes is that they don't really save time or money, and they are just vile in both look and taste. And then she acts completely plastic as she "hosts" whatever event she has created with her "theme" of the episode -- usually in a way that makes viewers recoil in jaw-dropping horror.

The reason the Kwanzaa cake still gets mentioned is not, because it had processed ingredients. It gets mentioned because it exemplifies everything that is wrong with Sandra Lee's recipes. It was a grotesque recipe that threw together nasty ingredients that resulted in a horrid looking, foul tasting concoction. And then she threw corn nuts over it and stuck in some mammoth candles in the top and claimed it had something to do with Kwanzaa -- displaying her utter ignorance of the subject.

Ironically, people forget that the Kwanzaa cake wasn't the only offensive cake in that episode. The Chanukah cake recipe was pulled from the Food Network website because it used marshmallows, which contain gelatin and are not Kosher. The cake also had the most misshapen Stars of David I've ever seen.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. Honestly, I'm going to get a more tasty salsa or refried beans out of a jar/can than I'm likely to be able to make myself. I have no problem using them. I like Jiffy mix for biscuit toppings, I am certainly not going to make my own pancake mix 99% of the time. The problem with her recipes is she has you spend money on these products and then *uses them in a way that makes no sense.* Why would you rip out the guts of a perfectly-good pre-made pie? On whose planet is that reasonable? Just buy a can of pie filling if you don't want to make it. Or get canned packed fruit and make a pie filling. NOT COMPLICATED.

Also, compare the photo of her on a red carpet somewhere with the cover of the new book....how much processing power did that Photoshop job take?

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:rofl:

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

12. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Thanks for nothing, Rex. That's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. That canned frosting looks so vile.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

is her kitchen always decorated like the chicken ranch on valentine's day?

there's no way i could ever take andrew cuomo seriously

14. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

If you want a real good laugh, check out her Star of David cake. You just never mind those non-kosher marshmellows stuck in the center of the cake. And really, what is it with her and stuffing the center of angel food cakes? Was she traumatized by a cake hole as a child? Perhaps she got stuck in one?

I always :rolleyes: whenever she laments the woes of the average American housewife and her troubles in getting food on the table for her family. This woman received a 50 million dollar divorce settlement from her first husband and is now dating another millionaire, she has no business speaking for the "average American".

Also, if anyone has GAC (Great American Country), they're showing Semi-Homemade from the beginning. They showed the very first episode the other day. The "food" consisted of nothing but sugary desserts made from canned this and frozen that and pudding cups! And booze, lots and lots of booze. She also told a lovely story about visiting Jamaica with a friend whose parents owned a house there. Her and this friend drank so much rum that she actually passed out in her plate at dinner! Or as she says, she "fell asleep".

15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

The Kwanzaa cake revisited. Now, I noticed that Sandra says that this cake is a "harvest cake," decorated for Kwanzaa. I don't think the choice of ingredients was supposed to reflect anything about Kwanzaa, itself. So is this cake disrespectful to Kwanzaa, or just a gross cake in general? The article in the link explores this deep question. :confused:

O.k., I had my husband watch the dreaded Kwanzaa cake video, and he said it looked pretty tasty to him. Guess what he is getting for his birthday... :scream:

http://www.salon.com/2010/12/26/sandra_lee_kwanzaa_cake_offensive/

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing? I mainly lurve how she uses a spice cake and a chocolate cake together to create this russipee...she basically buys these cakes, chops them up, throws part of them away, then buys an excessive amount of canned icing for decoration. And then...the licorice....

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah at least she could have baked the cake layers. I mean how hard is that? And that shade of green is :yikes: I'm also disappointed that she didn't throw in some vanilla eggstract to make it taste homemade.

And what is it about winter holidays that make her want to shove crap in a cake? Hanukkah Cake (that homemade Star of David made of pearls was :scream: ), Noel Cake, Kwanzaa Cake??

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

My very favorite was when she bought mini pie crusts, pre-made and pre-baked..of course. Then she bought a pie, I can't even remember what kind now. Maybe pumpkin. Then she SCOOPED OUT THE PUMPKIN PIE AND PUT IT IN THE BOUGHT CRUSTS. The end. You can't make this shite up.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

delete

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

On the upside, it killed my sugar craving.

21. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about this atrocity committed against pies. WHAT DOES SHE HAVE AGAINST PIES? OR FOOD IN GENERAL?

A few years ago, I had jaw surgery. If I had a choice between that horrific liquid diet and Aunt Sandy's russipees, I'd pick the liquid diet EVERY TIME.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh yes but Aunt Sandy has a liquid diet you might just love!! :40beers: :nopryde:

23. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

If I drank I'm sure I'd loooove it! She'd be so proud.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Here you go, Lanie.

Goodness, does this woman abuse injectables or what? :scream: Her cheeks are about to burst.

Wait, I just noticed there is a Hanukkah cake? I must see this.

O.M.G. Gross! What's with the fake pearls and marshmallows? :rofl: I think WE are the ones who are missing the point. This is really a comedy show. ;)

25. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

And of course we can't forget the Apple Pie napoleons, where she bought a premade apple pie and proceeded to destroy it so she could create her "filling". I remember reading one of the reviews online and the woman realized halfway through mashing up the pie that she had made a regrettable decision. Then her kid came in, saw what she was doing, and asked, "Mommy, WHY?" :lol:

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She's given us so many memories to cherish...

27. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Best Sandy one liner ever!!! :lol:

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

True.

But you have to think--someone IS watching her show, making her *ugh* recipes and buying her cookbooks. She is making a fair amount of bank. So there is an audience out there who thinks this is just loverly. Innit?

She really is the Kardashian of cooking.

Stefanie and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I avoid her as much as possible.
    My "acquaintance" with Sandra goes back to her days as a "decorating expert" on Home Shopping, many years ago.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: No way. Good grief, did she coin the term "tablescapes" back then?