San Francisco Trip Advice

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manhn, Jun 22, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish I were headed that way. Their menu looks fabulous:
    http://xanhrestaurant.com/menu.pdf

2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't care much for either The Slanted Door or Out the Door. It's not that I'm a purist. It's just that, IMO, there are plenty of Vietnamese restaurants - that have better tasting food for less money. But, it's true that those restaurants generally are not in an upscale location-- there are some good Vietnamese restaurants in the Tenderloin.

But, what's considered good is really in eye (or tastebuds) of the beholder. For example, with coffee, I think Sightglass is bit overrated, especially given their prices. Yeah, the place is kind of cool looking, but I'd just as soon buy Blue Bottle. But, then again, I'm not a coffee expert. I don't taste a difference between the Blue Bottle at the Ferry Building and the Blue Bottle at the Mint.

I agree that, if you have a choice between BART and Muni, go with BART. Muni can be very frustrating waiting for a bus that has any room at all.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Vietnamese husband of a Seattle friend was one of three people who told me to eat at "The Slanted Door" when they heard I was going to be in SF last weekend (He knows I'm oblivious to atmosphere, too.)

I was hoping to take a friend there, but her doggie is old, and needs her close by. We had a lovely brunch.in Oakland, instead.

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Aside from the setting, another thing that differentiates The Slanted Door from the average cheap eats place is the quality of their ingredients, which emphasizes local and organic. Maybe even cheap eats places in SF do as well, as I find Californians in general to be much more interested in and care more about the source of what they eat, but in my area, cheap eats = cheap ingredients for the most part. I know there are plenty of people who are indifferent to what they're eating as long as it tastes good, but just wanted to point this out for those to whom it might matter.

5. jl

jl Well-Known Member

I've been to Slanted Door. It's nice, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as authentic Vietnamese. That being said, I don't know what really is.

The ingredients are fresh and very well assembled, and it has a great array of beers that work well with Asian food. I liked it a lot, personally.

Other things I liked in the area include Hog and Rocks, Delfina, Osha Thai (but only on their happy hour discounts), and most sushi I've gone to specifically (Okoze, Tekka, Kiji). Dim sum, for what I've run into there, never matches up positively with Vancouver.

If you go to Berkeley, go to Grigoire's for lunch, or the Cheese Board pizza shop. So good. Both quite reasonable from what I remember.

6. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

There are lots of restaurants in the Bay Area that serve local and organic. The Bay Area is, after all, the land of Michael Pollan and Alice Waters. IMO, many of these places are better than The Slanted Door or Out the Door. And they can be cheaper, too. Again, this is subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an organic and local tamale from the Ferry Building farmer's market than a spring roll from The Slanted Door or Out the Door. I think a lot of people eat at The Slanted Door just so they can say that they did.

7. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I hope you people realize how good you have it. *jealous*

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I had no idea it was "that" kind of restaurant. I love the food vendors at the Ferry Building, too.

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

So, do the ticket machines at the San Jose light rail stations accept credit card or is it cash only? I am getting inconsistent info on the internets. I am intending to explore SJ via light rail as soon as I land, and my younger nieces/nephews may or may not join. I don't mind paying for their fares, but I don't want to use up all of my US cash on busfare! Can you buy fare passes somewhere inside the airport (i.e. a 7-11 or Walgreens?).

I will be going to San Fran from San Jose via caltrain. I will be getting a 3-day Muni pass. Is there somewhere at or near the San Fran Station that I can purchase one? According to Google Maps, there is a Walgreen's nearby. Is that true?

11. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

VTA Light Rail and VTA Buses are cash / Clipper (see below) only - http://www.vta.org/services/tvm.html

Might be better to get a day pass then ($6) instead of $2 for each one-way trip if you also plan to take/transfer onto a VTA bus? Each one-way ride on VTA Light Rail is valid only on Light Rail and is not transferable onto bus, and vice versa.

SF Muni fares, also $2, are valid for 90 minutes and give you unlimited transfers between Muni light rail and bus. At $21 for a 3-day pass, do you plan to use Muni for at least four 90-minute trips per day? If not, then better to do a series of one-way trips within SF and just walk as much as you can. If you do plan to use the cable cars, however, then the 3-day pass is a good deal, because it includes cable car use which is $6 each way ($3 in early mornings and late nights).

While there is a Walgreen's at the SF Caltrain terminal, this particular outlet does not sell 3-day Muni passes. Muni Light Rail (N-Judah and T-Third lines) do serve the SF Caltrain terminal (a.k.a. "4th and King"), and here you can buy 1-way Muni tickets (or Clipper cards) at SF Muni vending machines. Here is a list of all locations in SF to buy SF Muni passes.
    http://www.sfmta.com/cms/asystem/farezip.php?prod=3D
    http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

There is a Clipper Card (http://www.clippercard.com), by the way, which you can buy at all Bay Area Walgreen's outlets and at SF Muni ticket vending machines. This is a handy stored-value card that lets you pay for one-way trips on both VTA, Caltrain, and Muni. You can also load a VTA day pass onto the Clipper Card, but I don't think you can load the SF Muni 3-day pass onto it. On VTA and Muni, you only need to swipe the card upon entering a station or a vehicle. On Caltrain, you need to swipe the card upon entering a station and departing your final destination. You can top up your Clipper Card at any SF Muni and BART vending machine; last I took Caltrain, they were also installing Clipper reloading machines at the SF Caltrain terminal but I don't know if these are operational yet.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Just returned from San Jose/San Fran. I had an awesome time. And it was great meeting up with an FSUer who shall remain nameless.

Anyways, some impressions.

1) In n Out lives up to the hype, people. Great burgers.

2) Santana Row is a lot of fun. Suck it, haterz!

3) Goodness gracious, do you have to take the highway/freeway whenever you go anywhere in San Jose?

4) My favourite neighbourhood in SF is the Haight/Ashbury area (the sun has a different light than I am used to), but I would want to live in the Mission District. In ten years, SOMA will be so cool to revisit.

5) SF has cleaned up a lot since I last was here. Yes, there are still homeless people but their panhanding was not nearly as aggressive.

6) Best coffee: Philz Coffee. OMG, GREAT! And also, Lee's Sandwiches. Vietnamese coffee rocks!

7) My legs hurt so much from walking. And I have to say that MUNI is sloowwwwwww. How do locals go around without injury?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your trip!