Samuelson/Bates

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gramps, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Gramps

Gramps New Member

What does the coaching change mean for them? Where will they place at end of the year? Wondering what everyone thinks.

2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'm very excited to see how the coaching change has enhanced their skating. They have excellent basics, and I always thought they just needed more speed, excitement and connection. I think their FD music will work great for them and allow them to show off their personalities. I really like the tango music they selected for the SD, too, and am looking forward to seeing their interpretation.

I'm sure they will finish second at Nats, and they should move up a few spots at Worlds. I think this will be an exciting season for them!

3. lovesdance

lovesdance Member

I really like this team and am also very excited to see how their skating has changed/improved with Igor and Marina! I think the coaching change will be great for them (even though Yasa and Yuri have done an amazing job with them to this point). I've been hoping for them to take a different direction with their music choices and am so happy for their choices this year - I'm looking forward to seeing their new programs. I don't want to jinx them by predicting their placements this year ;) but I have to agree with T&BFan - I think they'll definitely move up in the rankings. :)

4. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Gramps--juist wanted you to know I really enjoy S/B. I believe this change is going to be good for them and look forward to seeing their new programs. I think they have the best lines in the business and are a very attractive couple.

5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I lurve them to pieces (as I do many other American teams like Davis/White and the now-retired Belbin/Agosto) and I think they have the most unharnessed raw talent of any team out there. Beautiful lines too. And GO BLUE!!! :cheer2: :40beers:

I'm hoping that the positives of being in such a large camp as Shpilband/Zoueva's (inspiration from other talented teams, more ideas, better packaging hopefully) will outweight any possible negatives.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I fell for them just this past season, they had an awesome OD and beautiful FD, I've also noticed their really cool on ice personality. I cannot believe that I actually love American dance teams so much now (Davis/White and Samuelson/Bates), because I've never even liked any USA team before. I sincerely disliked B/A very much, so now it's a whole new situation for me :p

I'm very excited to see how the coaching change affects them, I only hope Igor and Marina can deal with training so many wonderful teams without any harm to any of those teams. For me it kind of looks, by their music choices, that they've started to run out of original ideas. Tangos, latin dances, not the most exciting choices available...

7. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Their technical skills are outstanding, some of the best in the biz, now they just need to get FD's that show the same sparkle and personality that we saw in their "Let Yourself Go" & Dixie Chicks OD's.

Sam/Bates! :cheer2:

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:) "Let yourself go " was my first exposure to them..and I've been deeply in love ever since. I adore American in Paris for them..I mean,they look like they just stepped out of a movie musical anyway..it should fit them like a glove..

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Should be a fantastic season for S&B ... likely rankings rise due to being USA #2 and for having (oh please) a stronger freedance. Even a Team S/Z after-thought (cough fourth choice) FD program would be better received by the judges than the no-highlights stuff they got the past two seasons.

Go :kickass: some rude Euro butts this season on the GP, SamBats!

10. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I lurves, lurves, lurves S/B, and I think they are one of the best technical teams in the world. (The first time I saw them, as juniors, they reminded me of the first time I saw DelSchoes!) But... I am not happy with them going to Shpilband and company. While I admire many of his teams, I find much of Shpilband and Zoueva's choreography so OTT, and I fear S/B's amazing lines getting lost in the frenetic movement and S/Z seem to love.

On the plus side, I do think Sphilband can get them to increase their speed and should help in politiking for the team. But I certainly hope Emily doesn't soon show up to a comp and we can see her sternum or ribs, a la some of Igor's other skaters.

11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I am not happy about it because I don't get to see them practice any more. I wuzrobbed.

I do wish them the best of luck with thier move, though, and won't stop cheering for them. :cheer:

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I think Team Shpilband recognizes that S/B's lines are one of their strengths -- I'd be surprised if they (particularly Marina) choreographed in a way to not highlight them.

13. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

Word. However generic and blah one finds Zueva's choreography, there's no denying she choreographs to show the skaters' strengths. Not all her teams have "busy" programmes all the time; Shibs Cinema Paradiso and V/M's Valse Triste FDs for example.

V/M's lines are lovely, so I'm not too worried about S/B, who have fantastic basics. I hope Zueva gives them :kickass: choreography, especially for the FD

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I would like to see them tackle a dramatic program. I feel they are very playful and maybe they don't want to do drama but there is great technical skill but the the programs are always upbeat to me.

15. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Bates would need to grow out his hair, obtain a facial scar, and what-not before the pair tried to sell a dark program.

Otherwise, judges and audiences would look at that whitebread face of his and, despite what the music and program were trying to convey, think to themselves, "well, isn't that cute?!" Disaster!

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:drama: Oh please, no!

Besides dark makes me fearful of them being stuck with a "Tosca" or "Carmen" or :scream: "Requiem for a Dream" just so S/B can prove they can be dramatik. :p I think they could do a great "Romeo and Juliet" and not have to make Evan over too much! :)

17. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I’m extremely excited to see what they bring this year. Both music choices are fabulous IMO, so I give an A+ to Marina and Igor for the music. My expectations are high and I hope they end up beating B/S and C/P at World’s and any other time they meet in competition. It’s hard to say where they will be in the standings until we get a viewing of their programs. I’m hoping/expecting a big transformation from last year not just on technical things like speed but also in areas like presentation and styling. A couple of things on my wish list for them are 1)unique and amazing lifts, 2) better styling and costumes, and 3) more connectedness and better facial expressions.

They’ve done the contemporary dramatic (operatic) theme with their Luna and Canto del la Terra programs, so it would be good for them to explore different genres. If they decide to try drama again, I hope they chose music not used before or much at all like Rosemary’s Baby sdtk, Marnie sdtk, Brideshead Revisted sdtk etc. Down the road when their connection improves and they mature more, it would be nice to see a modern contemporary a la SYTYCD, a Bernard Herrmann program, or even something avant garde. When it comes to “upbeat” type programs, they are top notch (i.e. swing, disco, etc.). Hopefully, they will continue trying variations of “upbeat” dances like “east coast swing,” “jive,” “Charleston,” “Bollywood,” “mambo/cha-cha/samba,” “jitterbug,” etc. It would nice to see them try more comedic type program too (like Chevy Chase/Goldie Hawn in Foul Play or Tom Hanks/Shelly Long in the Money Pit) or broadway (Bye-Bye Birdie, Little Shop of Horrors, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, etc.). Evan reminds me of a combination of Steve Martin, Don Knots and Tom Hanks. Most of all, I want them to do a sweet, romantic, light (music wise) type program (i.e.
    Man From Snowy River, Princess Bride,Untamed Heart Benny and Joon , Emma 1996 or 2009

The SD Desde de Alma is a tango vals from what I gather. They had a tango OD in 2007 and here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaU2Xz8OLJw

I wish them the best and hope they exceed their goals this year!!!

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

As I told Evan at SOI, DISCO OD ALL THE WAY!! alas, the 60s/70s/80s OD theme was dropped for the short dance. (Can you tell I totally dug their disco exhibition?)

I look forward to seeing what they have to offer under different coaching. Their choreography and music choices for their FDs were pretty blah to me. . . but their 40s OD was outstanding and even their country OD (I despise country music) grew on me. I like the Princess Bride idea. ("I am not left-handed either!")

I, too, fear Emily becoming skeletal like other Shpilband dancers. . . please, no!!

19. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

20. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

21. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Good call with the Dan Dailey! :lol:

I can definitely see Sam/Bates capturing the essence of the golden age of Hollywood musicals: Perky, glam, & technically precise!

A little Dan, a little Gene, some Debbie & Jane Powell, add water and stir!

Just not the "That's Entertainment" music mash.....

22. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Evan also has a little Donald O'Connor in him.

When someone mentioned Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds, I thought why not a 7 Brides for 7 Brothers or The Unsinkable Molly Brown down the road. Now if I had to say who Emily reminds me of, I would say a little June Allyson, Myrna Loy, Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Joan Fontaine, Jeanne Craine, and Anne Baxter. I don't think that's quite right, so I will have to think on this.