Sale and Pelletier intend to retire

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I may attend the Toronto show, as there are still a few cheaper seats left ($38.75 with fees...not sure if that includes tax). The tickets I bought in the past were significantly more expensive, and I just don't have the $ to attend every year. I wish they had a student discount.

I think Jeff is a genius and I really liked the group choreography he did for last year's SOI (I watched on TV), and I can't imagine not loving any program he does. I also think Joannie, another of my favourites, has really come into her own, and she was awesome when I saw her live in 2008. and I would be over the moon if I could see Tessa and Scott live. I also love Kurt (both his skating and choreography), Shawn, and Cynthia. I wonder if Kozuka or Asada would do the Toronto show. and I am really hoping to see Chan. I really miss B&S and S&Z, but at least I was lucky enough to have seen them live at past SOI shows. Well, I look forward to hearing reports from the show, and hope I will be able to attend.

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I also always love to get together with FSUers and really enjoyed doing that for CSOI last year (thanks to jo-jo who invited a bunch of us to join her in a company-paid box).

I enjoyed the show, but it seemed a bit like the last one I saw a few years ago. Maybe it would have been different if I'd been closer to the ice, but for me it wasn't exciting enough that I'd be willing to spend $100 on a ticket for the next one that comes to town.

3. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I've gone to Toronto SOI for about the last 10 years or so and I've always been happy. Mind you, we've had front-row, on ice seats for the last 6 years and that makes a HUGE difference. Since it's the one and only pricey event of the year, I don't care about the price.
    S/P have always been extraordinary show skaters. Jamie really sells it 110%, something that really stood out when David skated with Tessa Bonhomme on Battle of the Blades(she of course didn't know how). Being in the front row and shaking their hands at show's end is memorable. I finally had my big chance when David came up to us. Weee! Anticipation.... he shakes my hand and then zeros in on the little kid beside me, who gets a hug and conversation! David moves on and mom asks little kid who her favourite skater was. Little kid says she likes the funny clown (kurt) best. Grr! Is life fair? I told my friends that the following year we would borrow the neighbours kid for the show, cutest one we could find!
    I'll be very very sad when they stop performing but boy do I feel lucky to have seen what I have. I'd love a farewell show but the way things are with fs I don't see it happening. Ah for the days when skaters used to have specials!

4. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

They were the highlight for me last time. Though I think David brings it 110% as well - he owned last season's BOTB and Tessa did really well because of it. I thought there win was totally deserving and was thrilled that the voters thought to so, as IMO Sandra Bezic came down hard on Tessa.

5. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Totally agree. I didn't express that well. What I meant was that Jamie connects with those eyes and that grin with each person in the audience whereas David "presents" her beautifully to everyone. I was thrilled with them winning BOTB too. It has always been my fantasy to be a gazillion years younger, impossibly fit and flexible and a superb skater and to borrow David for just a while and skate with him. Sigh...........
    A reporter for the Toronto Star got to do something similar (She did death spirals with him) and she said she could now die happy.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Surprise!!! Just continuing their tradition of WHINING :rofl:

7. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Shame. A gorgeous team, regardless of all of the controversy. Absolutely breathtaking live. I'll sure miss seeing them at CSOI.

8. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

9. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Do we mean completely from Skating? They won't be on Tours? Be ready to not be Fans of a Team.

10. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Everyone retires from their job eventually. Skaters generally retire from it earlier than "regular workers" in the "real world" due to the physical demands of the sport on the body; actually, most athletes in general retire from their career young (20s-40s). It isn't a personal insult to the fans who enjoy watching them; it is the natural progression in moving on with their lives.