Sale and Pelletier intend to retire

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. fan

fan Well-Known Member

2. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

3. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

They are definitely entering a "less-than-full-time" phase of their professional skating careers, but as quebecoise pointed out (thank you!), they are NOT retiring.

The reporter/headline writer of that article definitely made it sound like they are - but it's a case of being misunderstood/selective quoting/dramatic story framing.

4. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

That article was depressing. I hate to think of people retiring mainly because of the money.

I insist that the fans are still there. But since there is no Champions on Ice type tour they don't come out. Stars on Ice isn't good enough. They dropped the ball when they didn't feature the international stars from Vancouver. If there had been a tour in the US that included Weir, Lambiel, Plushenko, Kim, Asada, etc., people would have turned out. That article almost makes it sound like people won't pay attention to figure skating unless there's another scandalous incident to bring people back. Even though the economy is bad, people still go to concerts. There's no reason they wouldn't turn out for the right show. They need to start from scratch.

5. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

"Salé and Pelletier were offered a spot on this year's Stars on Ice tour, but at a price that Salé says “undervalues” them as the industry slips. “Look,” Pelletier says, “the numbers tell a story.”"

Several quotes like this appeared in the story. I find it hard to feel sorry for them if they've priced themselves out of the market.

6. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

with ekaterina skating this year ( double gold medalist) one would think that they are paying her an ok amount- do you think it is just an excuse for them? they cut the whole tour down this year so i guess they are paying less- but would some not be better than nothing? or can they make more staying at home and coaching? i always think it much be so hard to retire when every day fro tha last how many years of your life you have skated- or got out in front of an audience to preform-

i was surprised that they continued when they spilt- i have a lot of admiration for the way they have carried themselves during what i am sure was a painful time for the them personally.
    they seem to be very supportive of each other- i cheered for them as amaetur skaters and enjoyed them as people when i chatted with them and in their pro carrier- i hope that they are still around the skating community when tehy do hang up their skates !!!

7. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

I heard they are now back together according to the rumor mill :sekret:... can anyone confirm?

8. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

if all it took was "these" stars then COI would still be around. They had Weir etc..

Kim, Asada and others can make a LOT more in thier home country then wandering around the US and honestly, if it's not an Olympic Gold Medalist, then the US market isn't showing up. I know that sounds harsh, but facts are facts.... American's tend to only care about "American" athletes and after Kwan the "fan favorite" hasn't been thier in the US fan base. Think about it when COI was touring the 'headliner" was Michelle. Not the other great stars...

The reason they aren't turning out is they don't want to go. And adding European and Asian skaters isn't the solution. Want a US tour, we need a US "star" and there isn't one right now. (Go ask 10 people who are NOT figuring skating fans to name a skater they would go see.... I bet that's interesting...)

9. Carolla5501

From the article above

"They have struggled since to maintain privacy throughout their divorce, but decline to comment

. “We have a son that we love very much, and he is our priority,” she adds. “It's life. And we're human. It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it. I think we're doing a good job.” "

Maybe we should just take our lead from them???

10. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I don't think they are together anymore, that being said, I think they need to realize what the market north of the border is here. Figure Skating just isn't as popular as it once was. With so much for options in terms of sports/entertainment and people stretching their dollars in this day and age, people aren't choosing skating stars. Attendance at big competitions is down across the board, the system is confusing to armchair fans who have given up (my mom being one of them). It's a sad fact of life these days, but it's also reality. I think they're being more choosy than they should and take what they can get. My mom has run into her on more than one occasion across the city and she hasn't seen David with her at all, so I'm guessing they aren't back together.

11. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

According to Jamie's twitter, David had their son in Quebec over Christmas. I'm not sure a reunited couple would spend it apart?

It's nice that their post-divorce relationship has been solid enough that a reunion is a rumour, though. :)

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Disagree. It's true that COI used to market it as a "champions" tour and therefore needed actual champions, and SOI always put Olympic champions at the top of their marquee, but the fact is that many non-Americans have had long careers with SOI, and been very well received by fans who used to cheer them on year after year.

I'm thinking of Browning, Witt, Gordeeva (and G&G), Chouinard, Kulik, Cousins and so many others.

I don't think the shrinking of audiences has much to do with the medal count or the nationality of skaters. It's about the overall decline in interest in the sport (which is a whole other discussion), increased competition for audience's hard earned entertainment dollars, and marketing IMO.

kylet3 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Carolla5501

I just don't think it's coming back in the US without an "American star" In the era above.. who headlined SOI? Scott Hamilton! (And if you really look at the history, it's been heading downhill in terms of attendance and draw since he left IMHO. Americans know and love Scott. (regardless of how folks feel on here if he didn't test well he wouldn't be doing those broadcasts..NBC is working the "love" ) Those others were icing on the cake... and they had "stories" Kurt was around a LONG time, developed a presence etc.. Katia had the "lost love" story which got a lot of press Casual fans probably couldn't tell you who Kulik was at this point :) )

The only Americans with some draw MIGHT be Evan and Davis/White. But Ice Dance is still a tough sell.

I think Jamie and Dave are being "realisitic" They said "it's not worth our time to do this for the price" Fans may not like it, but... if it costs them more to rent ice, coaching etc to get ready they they are going to make "taking something" is kind of :rolleyes: "Take what you can get" is often not a sound business decision. If you can't get what it costs to cover your expenses time to move on. That's what it sounds like they are doing.

14. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

This article is totally misleading. It's been several years since S&P have been on the US tour- all that has changed is that they won't be doing the Canadian tour this year because they weren't able to come to an agreement on salary. That's a business decision that both sides have the right to make. Audiences for CSOI have been relatively stable, but they have more recent Olympic gold medalists Virtue & Moir in the cast now, and no doubt they'd like to get Patrick Chan as well.

15. Judy

Judy New Member

It sounds like they are at peace with their decision and their lives and I wish them well.

It's more than obvious the sport is in a decline and I think the new judging system has taken some of the "magic" or "art" out of it .. but back then the tv market was saterated with these events and even myself as much as I love skating .. I just got sick of it. I actually left skating for several years and just recently became interested again. The judging scandals also hurt the sport.

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I believe S&P skated last year's US SOI. Their MJ program was showcased on the NBC telecast.

Too bad they won't be back for CSOI. I thought that once Kurt left, S&P would be the natural new leaders of the tour.

17. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

You are right - I totally forgot they did the US tour last year :shuffle: I'll miss them on CSOI too.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It sounds like they have things they'd rather do long-term than skate for the amount offered to do tours, a standard cost-benefit analysis.

19. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I have been a huge FS fan since I was a kid in the eighties and 90s. My whole family used to follow it closely and still tune in every now and then but I am the only one who has continued to watch religiously. The scandals were partially responsible for their loss of interest, but there were other factors. I didn't attend live shows until 2001, because I could never afford it. I would love to see CSOI each year, but again, I cannot afford to. I haven't been since 2008 (Jeff Buttle is one of favourite skaters of all time and I was thrilled to see him live and just off his WC victory!) I was hoping to attend this year, and am very sad that I won't get to see S&P. I just want them to be happy, though, and do what is best for their family.

20. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

They are also reaching a time when it will not be possible for Jesse to travel with them, as he will have school. Cutting back on the travel just makes sense.

21. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I never saw SOI while Jamie and David were in it because of one (or two) major problems with SOI:

Over the years, the skating became crap and the tickets became too expensive, so I gave up on going to see it.

SOI used to be a fun tradition for me and my friends. We'd make a night of it with dinner out and then a walk downtown to the arena. I guess if the skating level had stayed "up there", then I wouldn't have a problem with paying lots of money to see it. However, I don't like paying to see so called "stars" skate worse than the kids at my rink. The tour stopped coming to my town, so I don't know if the quality has improved or not.

I wish Jamie and David luck. I just re-watched their 2002 Olympic performance and it still captivates me.

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

David P had a partner? Jamie who?

23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I know some FSUers here in Vancouver who go to the show every year, but I wouldn't enjoy that as the shows come to seem very much the same when you go year after year. Nothing new or novel. And the tickets aren't cheap.

24. Bournekraatzfan

I was thinking the same things. One of those costs could be time away from their child. I'm still sad that they won't be there but wish them all the best.

25. Bournekraatzfan

It would be cool to go as a group of FSUers, but yes, I have heard that it CSOI is growing stale. but I love show skating--I watch all the Disson skating specials--and would buy tickets if they were a little more affordable. Unfortunately, as you have noted, tickets aren't cheap. I would like to save up for Worlds in London if I am able to travel at that time, so I am not sure if I will attend CSOI this year.

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I found it interesting that Jamie said she was weary of being in cold rinks all the time - first time I've heard someone say that, but I can sure understand it.

Does anyone know what became of her and her BOTB partner (Craig Simpson I think?) I thought they became an item.

And what of the (rumoured) romance between Pelletier and Tessa V?

27. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Re: CSOI getting stale - they revamped the whole creative team this year, and it's led by Kurt Browning with help from Jeff Buttle, actor/dancer/director Geoffrey Tyler, and dancer Linda Garneau. I haven't seen the show yet (Seattle next week!) but from what I've heard, they've made a real effort to inject new choreography/concepts, and tie it together with a cohesive theme. Plus, I hear Kurt's demanding steps out of the skaters they wouldn't usually try to do. I wouldn't write it off just yet...

Re: not doing it because the offer wasn't high enough. I have to admit, I was rather disappointed to read this. I understand not wanting to tour because of your young child, or you're tired of travelling, or tired of being cold in rinks, but thinking the money was too low and undervaluing them on a tour that's clearly suffering financially (note no title sponsor) seems kind of short-sighted to me. I understand articles are edited and writers can play up angles but it seems like it wasn't a throwaway reason, it was their main reason for not doing SOI or CSOI this year.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

CSOI has a title sponsor, Investors Group, announced at the end of January, but that might not have been in time for the contract negotiations. The masthead also says, "Presented by Lindt".

If CSOI doesn't make it worth their while to skate, it's not like they have any responsibility to skating or CSOI to keep skating, just like Kim, the Russian, and the Japanese skaters have no obligation to come to North America when they can make a boatload of money at home. S/P have been at this for a decade, and they have a young child.

I always love to get together with FSUers, and while I found Stars on Ice stale, regardless of the material, I don't find watching Jeffrey Buttle, Joannie Rochette, and Shawn Sawyer stale at all, and V/M are a pleasure to see. Last year, Ando and Kozuka joined the tour at the Victoria/Vancouver end.

On the US tour, not that many skaters in the last five-six years appeal to me, and I only went when I was in Seattle and there was nothing else to do, mainly when they kicked off the main tour there the first week or ten days of January. The current schedule is in the middle of things.

Tessa Virtue is dating a competitive skier. After watching Battle of the Blades, I was hoping Pelletier would end up with Tessa Bonhomme, because I suspect she'd be the alpha in that relationship.

29. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

In 2011, Sale & Pelletier were a great addition to the US tour of SOI. I went to 2010 SOI, and felt that the show was good, but not great. There was no pair team at the show I attended in 2010. However, the SOI 25th Anniversary Tour in 2011 was fantastic. I saw the show twice, and the skaters brought their A game to each show, especially Lysacek and Sale/Pelletier. With regard to ticket prices, the cheapest tickets were around $25, which is not very expensive.

30. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Sorry, I was conflating CSOI and SOI (I'm pretty sure S&P were asked to do SOI as well as CSOI), but it is true they didn't announce the CSOI title sponsor until it's likely after the offer had been made to the skaters.

Of course not, as I said, I could understand if they didn't want to continue for any number of personal reasons. But there's a difference between "not worth their while" and saying that the offer was "lowball" and "undervaluing" them, which sounds more like they interpreted it as an insult and therefore didn't take the offer.