(Saint) Mary MacKillop

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Tonight at 7pm (AEDT), Mary MacKillop will be canonised in a Vatican ceremony led by Pope Benedict XVI. She was beautified by Pope John Paul II in 1995. This is quite a big deal for religious Australians; Mary will become our first saint.

Here is some background on Mary MacKillop, and news. I will be going to Mass tonight, and celebrating with fellow Christians (and some non-Christian Aussies) while watching online here.

She really was an example of a woman who loved people and believed everyone was entitled to a good education. Her work started in South Australia, my home state, and expanded to many other states, mostly in poor, rural areas. She was also a bit of a rebel. ;)

Mary will be canonised along together with Blesseds Stanisław Sołtys (Polish), Andre Bessette (Canadian), Candida Maria de Jesus Cipitria y Barriola (Spanish), Giulia Salzano and Battista da Varano (both Italian).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

They are covering the canonisation of Andre quite a bit on the Canadian news.

The link you posted for watching online is interesting. I really don't understand the mentality of the people who are posting nasty things on the feed, but the celebration of the devout is inspiring.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I heard on the news she exposed a priest for abusing children. Truly a woman ahead of her time.