1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Saint) Mary MacKillop

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Tonight at 7pm (AEDT), Mary MacKillop will be canonised in a Vatican ceremony led by Pope Benedict XVI. She was beautified by Pope John Paul II in 1995. This is quite a big deal for religious Australians; Mary will become our first saint.

Here is some background on Mary MacKillop, and news. I will be going to Mass tonight, and celebrating with fellow Christians (and some non-Christian Aussies) while watching online here.

She really was an example of a woman who loved people and believed everyone was entitled to a good education. Her work started in South Australia, my home state, and expanded to many other states, mostly in poor, rural areas. She was also a bit of a rebel. ;)

Mary will be canonised along together with Blesseds Stanisław Sołtys (Polish), Andre Bessette (Canadian), Candida Maria de Jesus Cipitria y Barriola (Spanish), Giulia Salzano and Battista da Varano (both Italian).
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

They are covering the canonisation of Andre quite a bit on the Canadian news.

The link you posted for watching online is interesting. I really don't understand the mentality of the people who are posting nasty things on the feed, but the celebration of the devout is inspiring.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I heard on the news she exposed a priest for abusing children. Truly a woman ahead of her time.