SAG Awards

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Spareoom, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Jennifer's acceptance speeches (Golden Globes and SAG) have been wonderful. She looked genuinely surprised, and humble, yet not overly emotional (crying) in her acceptance speech. She is a very likable young lady, and very talented. I just don't feel that her role or acting in SLP is on par with that of her competitors at this time. They will be 'wuzrobbed' if she wins the best lead actress Oscar.

I may be the only one that does not understand why Anne Hathaway is a lock for the supporting actress Oscar (and why she has won every award for SA so far). I don't have a problem with her personality or even her acceptance speech (I only watched the one at GG; I missed that part of SAG). I feel that her role is too short compared to her competitors. Helen Hunt, for example, appears in the entire movie and has a very strong contribution to the story. Anne's role is only a small part of the story we see in Les Mis. I had the same complaint about Judi Dench winning for Shakespeare in love, but in her case it was obvious that it was done to make up for the injustice (not winning for Mrs. Brown)
    the previous year.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

That ... and the fact that the Screen Actors' Guild is looking at acting only. There's more than just the performances that go into an overall "best picture" for an Oscar.

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It is a *supporting* category--why should limited time screen be a negative in a supporting role? I have not seen The Sessions, but if "Helen Hunt, for example, appears in the entire movie and has a very strong contribution to the story", why isn't she competing in the Lead category? Well, I know why...

4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO she should have been in the 'lead' category.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think people over-estimate screen time as an indicator of whether a role is supporting or not. I think a lot of it has to do with whether the role is the central part of the story or if it orbits and "supports" the main plot. I haven't seen The Sessions, but it seems like it's John Hawke's film with Hunt supporting him even if she has a considerable amount of screen time. However, if studio is backing a movie and its Oscar campaign, then what I wrote is moot and it just means the actor/actress is in a category that he/she has a better chance of winning in.

Sometimes the supporting line is blurry. Like, you can argue that Jennifer Hudson is really the lead actress in Dreamgirls or Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener, but you can also argue they were either part of an ensemble or that being the lead female role in that particular film meant you're still supporting the main male role.

I think it was smart to put Hunt in the supporting category this year. There was no way she would have been guaranteed for Best Actress without the power of someone like Harvey Weinstein in this year of excellent female performances. Plus, Hunt was winning a few critics awards or nominated for critics awards throughout the season for Best Supporting Actress prior to the Oscar nominations.

6. Artemis@BC

^ I agree that there's often a bit of subjectivity in whether a role is "lead" or "supporting." However Helen Hunt's role does not, IMO, fall into that grey area. It is unquestionably a lead performance, not a supporting one.

"Won't win in the lead category" should not be allowed as a justification for nominating someone in the supporting category instead.

(Of course in my view it's moot, as I don't think she deserves to win in either category. But then I don't think she should have won -- or even have been nominated -- for As Good As it Gets, either.)

7. VIETgrlTerifa

If that's the case, then I wonder why critic circles either rewarded or nominated Hunt in the supporting category all season prior to the award nominations? It's not as if critics have a reason to put her in the supporting category when she's really a lead the way Academy members may.

I agree with you that the "won't win in the lead category" should not be a justification. I'm just saying a smart producer and campaign manager of a movie will play that card when given the opportunity (and if they have another actor/actress to back in the lead category who has a stronger chance).

8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Apparently ZD30 wasn't released with enough time for all the voters to screen it, so Jennifer was expected to win the SAG over Jessica.

SAG are usually the best predictor, however at the SAG, only actors vote for the winners. For the Oscars, nominees are chosen by their disciplines (actors nominate the actors, animators nominate the animated films, etc), but every voting member of the Academy votes for the actual winners in every category. So just because the actors voted for Jennifer here, doesn't mean that she'll win the Oscar.

But again, this year's SAG for actress isn't fully accurate to predict the Oscar because of when the screener for ZD30 was released.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO the late release is going to hurt ZDT at the Oscars. By the time it was released, people had already made up their minds. Not sure why they decided to release it that late.

10. Artemis@BC

Oscar-bait movies are frequently released in late December -- the big difference this year is that so many were released a month or so earlier. Plus there was a ton of pre-release press and buzz for Argo, Lincoln, Les Mis, and Life of Pi ... but absolutely none for ZDT. It's almost like the movie was kept as much a secret as the mission was! :D

11. Artemis@BC

I'm that well versed in the ins and outs of the nomination processes ... but my understanding was that the studios and/or producers often "nominate the nominees" with pre-official-nomination campaigns -- and not just the films, but specific performances/achievements in specific categories. For Your Consideration if you will. Plus once the first big nomination list is out ... the others tend to take those categories as gospel.

And some critics' circles did nominate Hunt in the lead actress category: San Diego and London, for example.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

ZDT was not released in theatres until Jan. 11 or something. That's really late. In the meantime it was winning critical acclaim, raising my expectations.

13. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

It had a limited release in late December (in New York and LA I assume), otherwise it wouldn't have been eligible for this year's awards.

I do agree with Artemis that it didn't seem to have as much early buzz as some of the other contenders, but that changed pretty quickly as soon as it started screening for critics and they went gaga for it*. At the time it seemed like that would work to its advantage - just when the buzz for Argo and Lincoln had died down a bit, ZDT swoops in out of nowhere and starts winning everything in sight, effectively stealing their thunder. I think the controversy surrounding it had a lot more to do with the movie losing its favourite status than the release date.

*According to Metacritic, it's the best reviewed of the Best Picture nominees, with only Amour coming close.

14. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I can't believe Silver Linings Playbook has a Best Picture Academy Award nomination. What a heap of pretentious rubbish, if you excuse my French! Every possible cliche is in this movie from the characters analyzing each other to death to that cheesy dance competition. :scream:

I actually don't think it is over-acted - the actors do their best with the lifeless and repetitive dialogue that can only be animated by shouting at the top of their voices. I enjoyed the performances of Robert de Niro and the lead guy, but Jennifer Lawrence, as usual, looked like the victim of a Botox attack that had frozen every muscle in her face. Incredible!

15. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

When I got back to my Sister's after seeing Apollo 13 I was going on and on about how tense the re entry sequence was and my BiL goes, "Oh come on!! How could it be that tense. You knew they made it back safe and sound."

After he saw it, I got an apology for him. :) So I do know what you mean and really want to see "Argo" so badly. Will have to wait for the DVD though darn it!!

16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Just watched "The Impossible" last night. IMHO Tom Holland (Lucas) carried the film. Why does Hollywood not notice child male actors when child females are always acknowledged? Yes Naomi was good, but this kid was amazeballs. Others opinions would be greatly appreciated.

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I totally agree! Tom Holland was amazing and did carry the film. I thought Naomi was good, but expected more, and was just distracted watching Holland.
    I enjoyed the movie, but they started with the date and time, and it would have been nice to know the time that passed by the end of the movie.

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Very interesting! I've never thought about it but it seems true. Young makes get very little recognition while the females are much more likely to receive praise. I wonder who the youngest male was ever nominated for an Oscar?

19. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

My daughter IS a Manic Pixie Dream Girl ( :( ), unfortunately. She loves Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and was really looking forward to Silver Linings Playbook, but the movie turned out to be a real copout as far as the plot went. That said, I think Jennifer did a great job playing someone who probably has borderline personality disorder. She SHOULD have dead eyes in this role. I thought it was a dramatic difference from her role as Katniss in The Hunger Games, and I'm okay with her getting awards for the part, even though I though the movie was dreck.

Yay for Brian Cranston and Breaking Bad. I could not choose between him and Damian Lewis, so I'm happy that they are both winning this year.

20. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

The kid who played the son in Kramer vs. Kramer. He's still the youngest nominee ever, I think. He was 8 at the time.

Also, the kid from The Sixth Sense got nominated.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

He wuzrobbed. :)

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Great example! I knew the Apollo mission was in trouble but the movie outlined how it went from one life-threatening problem to another. I did not know how closely they came to loosing their lives. Regarding "Argo": I was certainly old enough to remember the six returning to the states. But I never thought about the folks who cared for them and the thought that the Iranians would execute them rather than throw them in with the other hostages. I don't know if their capture would have meant their death but the movie makes it appear that execution was a big possibility.

23. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

downtown abby won for best group! YAY

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Justin Henry was the kid from Kramer vs. Kramer (he also played Molly Ringwald's annoying younger brother in Sixteen Candles). Haley Joel Osment was 11 years old when he was nominated for The Sixth Sense. Both of those were for Best Supporting Actor.

The youngest male Best Actor Nominee was Jackie Cooper (9 years old) for the movie Skippy (released in 1931).

25. VIETgrlTerifa

^ "Champ! Wake up Champ!" Different movie I know, but that's what I really remember of Jackie Cooper.

26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Mind blown! I never made that connection before!