SAG Awards

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Spareoom, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Anyone watching?
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I didn't think this was on TV at first because it wasn't on one of the major networks. Now I see that it is on TNT and TBS. Have they done Best Actress yet?
  3. Spareoom

Just did. Jennifer Lawrence won! :D

For the other acting awards, Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Hathaway won best supporting.
  4. BigB08822

OMG, Jennifer won!? YAY! I really want her to get the Oscar but I still have a feeling that Chastain will win that one. I don't think the SAG is a very good predictor for the Oscars, are they? Maybe they used to but I'm trying to think more recently.
  5. Spareoom

I think the actor awards have been fairly accurate (but I'm not sure) but its the Best Picture award that's not as accurate because the Oscars changed their voting criteria and the SAGs didn't.

Case in point, Argo wins best ensamble. I doubt it wins the Oscar.
  6. BigB08822

I wonder when voting was done for this? Do you think Affleck's snub in the director category could have influenced any of the voting? Either for director (who won that?) or the ensemble?
  7. Spareoom

Well, Argo won the GG's too so it's hardly a surprise. I guess the Academy just didn't like the film for some reason.

Daniel Day-Lewis won Best Actor, btw.
  8. Spareoom

Full results; winners are starred.

Male Actor, Supporting
    Alan Arkin, Argo
    Javier Bardem, Skyfall
    Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
    **Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln**

Female Actor, Supporting
    Sally Field, Lincoln
    **Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables**
    Helen Hunt, The Sessions
    Nicole Kidman, The Paperboy
    Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Male Actor, Comedy Series
    **Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock**
    Ty Burrell, Modern Family
    Louis CK, Louis
    Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
    Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family

Female Actor, Comedy Series
    Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
    **Tina Fey, 30 Rock**
    Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
    Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
    Betty White, Hot in Cleveland

Ensemble, Comedy
    30 Rock
    The Big Bang Theory
    Glee
    **Modern Family**
    Nurse Jackie
    The Office

Female Actor, TV Movie or Miniseries
    Nicole Kidman, Hemingway & Gellhorn
    **Julianne Moore, Game Change**
    Charlotte Rampling, Restless
    Sigourney Weaver, Political Animals
    Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias

Male Actor, TV Movie or Miniseries
    **Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys**
    Woody Harrelson, Game Change
    Ed Harris, Game Change
    Clive Owen, Hemingway & Gellhorn
    Bill Paxton, Hatfields & McCoys

Male Actor, Drama Series
    Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
    **Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad**
    Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
    Jon Hamm, Mad Men
    Damian Lewis, Homeland

Female Actor, Drama Series
    **Claire Danes, Homeland**
    Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
    Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum
    Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
    Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ensemble, Drama
    Boardwalk Empire
    Breaking Bad
    **Downton Abbey**
    Homeland
    Mad Men

Female Actor, Lead
    Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
    Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone
    **Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook**
    Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
    Naomi Watts, The Impossible

Male Actor, Lead
    Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
    **Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln**
    John Hawkes, The Sessions
    Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
    Denzel Washington, Flight

Cast in a Motion Picture
    **Argo**
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    Les Miserables
    Lincoln
    Silver Linings Playbook
  9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Lawrence has won 24 major acting awards so far, one tied with Chastain. Chastain has won 16. My gut tells me Jennifer is still more likely to win the Oscar.

And I'm going to cry if she does. Big, fat, messy tears.
  10. Spareoom

Oh, me too. I was so thrilled for her tonight and she looked VERY surprised and happy. Although I guess she had a little wardrobe malfunction on her way to the stage...her dress had a two-piece skirt sort of thing, and I think it got snagged on a chair on the way down because while she was walking up the steps, the bottom half slipped and she flashed about six inches of thigh. :lol: Only Jen...
  11. BigB08822

I hope you are right, michiruwater!
  12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I just don't get Silver Linings Playbook. I thought it was incredibly over-acted and truly unconvincing.

Jennifer Lawrence will probably undeservedly win an Oscar now because she's a hot commodity with many more years to work with the studios to churn out hits. She appeals to all sorts who for some reason or another all have decided they have huge crushes on her. Even David O. Russell, director of Silver Linings Playbook, ogled over her with the camera during the movie.

She won't be the worst winner ever, but after seeing the other nominees plus a few others who weren't nominated, I felt she's clearly the weakest of the bunch (with the exception of maybe Wallis whose performance I loved but am not quite sure if she knew what she was really doing in the film other than reacting the way the director wanted her to). I guess it's to be expected. Her character checks all the boxes. Screaming scene, crying scene, sad scene, sexy scene, dancing scene, quirky but not too quirky, has emotional problems but not too difficult to overcome (yeah loved how the film dealt with her sex addiction so easily), character defined by lead male character, gets to be a little mean to DeNiro who finds it charming, really has a heart of gold deep down her rough exterior, etc.
  13. michiruwater

It's not like she's never been nominated before and came out of nowhere :shuffle: In fact, she's the youngest actress to receive two BA nominations in history.

I've seen everything she's been in except that one horror movie and, unfortunately, SLP, due to my move to China before either of those came out. Oh, and I haven't seen the Bill Engvall Show. But in each of those movies - The Burning Plains, Poker House, Hunger Games, X-Men, The Beaver, Winter's Bone in particular - she was absolutely fantastic, and I have no doubt that she was fantastic in SLP as well. She has a real innate talent. It's fine if you don't agree, and obviously I'm a Jennifer uber, but I don't think many people will agree with you that it is undeserved if she does win. The critics adore her. She has a gigantic fan base, mostly for her talent combined with her hilariously irreverent attitude (which is the reason behind the crushes, I imagine - she doesn't act like a star at all and she's very funny in her interviews/talk show appearances).

But you are right that's a good tactical move on the Academy's part. I won't pretend that's not true - I've said that several times over the last year. She has several guaranteed hits coming out over the next few years - HG and X-men sequels in particular - which basically guarantees that she won't get the Oscar curse. And they do want to appeal to a younger audience. I just don't think that this means that she's undeserving.
    Nell411 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Dunno. Argo won the Producers' Guild award. I think the snub has galvanized it.

Directors' Guild awards are next weekend.
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

I've seen Winter's Bone and agree she deserved a nomination for that performance. It was everything SLP was not in that it didn't pander to the audience, go for cheap emotion, and it allowed Lawrence to give a truly nuanced performance from a difficult character to pull off.

I also acknowledge I'm in the minority regarding SLP, which is why I'm being much harsher on it than it probably deserves. I simply didn't get it, and I guess it doesn't feel good to see most people give so much praise to something you yourself simply did not connect with. It also doesn't help that I actually liked all of the actors and the creative team behind SLP in other projects and was really looking forward to seeing it. I guess I was disappointed with something I felt seemed lazy.

As for the Argo thing, I think the director's branch snubbing Affleck really helped Argo in this race. Now the guilds are going full-force in support of it. We'll see if the Academy membership as a whole will reward it to acknowledge the perceived mistake the Director's branch made with snubbing Affleck or if they will show that they do have their own minds and pick another film as Best Picture. The only thing we don't know really is who is going to win the DGA unless someone who is nominated for Best Director wins it.
  16. michiruwater

It's entirely possible that I'm also taking it too personally because I want to see SLP so extremely badly and will probably never have the opportunity to see it in theaters. And you did. And you didn't like it :p
  17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This award is special because her fellow actors voted for her. And she is so young...you know you see all ages in the supporting category but to win in the category she was in is special indeed. I want to know what we are witnessing: Is this young woman going to have Meryl-like success? Is she that good? (I don't know a lot about her.)
  18. Spareoom

I think so, but then again I'm not the most educated. She's fairly special in that she has the respect of the critics AND the box office...there's not many actresses who are popular with the general public and film critics. Anne Hathaway is another actress that I can think of who is like that.
  19. michiruwater

But Anne isn't as popular as Jen is (though I think she gained back some respect from all the naysayers with, actually, her performance as Catwoman in particular). For some reason, and I have no clue why this is, there are a lot of Anne haters on the net. I don't get it. She's beautiful and talented and also pretty funny in interviews, and seems very gracious, but she seems to rub people the wrong way a lot. Not me, so, like I said, I don't get it :lol: Maybe it's still negative reaction from her Oscars hosting, but I blame James Franco for that disaster entirely.

And I've been wondering that myself - will Jen have a Kate Winslet or Meryl Streep-like career? (though if she wins she'll be ahead of Kate's curve by like, what, a decade and a half? :lol:). I really hope so. She's in a good place right now, with the two franchises she's in guaranteed to have at least three more hits combined and all the world scrambling to work with her, when she's so young. I just hope she keeps the positive, irreverent attitude and continues to stay out of the limelight the best she can. I think it's a good attitude to have.
  20. Spareoom

Well, if Jen did win the Oscar it would be hard to see her have that decline in roles because as you said, she's got a minimum of four big franchise films yet to be released not to mention the smaller films she's already gotten lined up. Gosh, if she wins, do you have any idea how much money she's going to be worth?! Oscar winners are always perceived as expensive (hence the post Oscar dry spell that so many have), but Jen is freakin' Katniss.

I have to say, as a RABID Hunger Games fan, you have no idea how proud I am that our movie franchise was lucky enough to get Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. Not only is she a fine, fine actress, but she's exactly how I imagine the character to be in every way possible, and I couldn't be happier. I don't think Gary Ross realized the full potential of the books, but based on some things I've heard from Francis Lawrence, the new director, I really think he "gets" it, and I feel optimistic and happy.
  21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Jennifer deserved her nomination for Winters bone, and she deserves it here, but I don't agree with her win. IMO all the other nominated actresses were better than her. I also don't find SLP all that alluring. Good to see someone agree with me. It's a feel good movie, entertaining, but not necessarily great. I have a big issue with Bradley Cooper getting a best actor nomination for this.

It's entirely possible that the best director snub to Ben Afflec is winning him sympathy votes, but Argo really is a very good movie. I liked it more than Lincoln, which was meticulously done but rather bland. Argo had more excitement, suspense (even though we knew what really happened) than either Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, or SLP. IMO SLP was the most predictable movie of the nominated ones. It's a highly overrated movie, and Jennifer may be getting the benefit of that, plus of being young and beautiful. She is a really good actress, but like Gwyneth Paltrow she may win the Oscar too soon and for the wrong movie.
  22. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

"Skyfall" won a SAG Award!!! :cheer2:

Stunt ensemble: "Skyfall"
  23. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought Jennifer Lawrence was overrated as Katniss. There were a few moments there where I didn't believe the emotion.

I think she's good. But I think her talent is being blown out of proportion.

As far as Anne Hathaway goes, I like her. But I understand why some people find her personality annoying. It's the uber-earnestness and the "trying too hard", and being too much like a an over excited puppy. Sometimes it comes across in interviews and I just want to tell her to calm down.
  24. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I can't get over how empty Jennifer Lawrence's eyes look. An actors eyes are so important, but hers look as if there were nothing behind. She changes her expression by pouting or blinking a few times but nothing happens in the eyes.
  25. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed. She has fantastic natural acting ability, but she could do with a bit of training. I get the idea that she's just playing Jen in her roles (haven't seen Winter's Bone). Her off-stage personality is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: though. Love her.

The role in SLP (also haven't seen) just seems like another play on the stereotypical Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She's crazy, she's broken, she'll love you and save your life.
  26. michiruwater

Well that I disagree with entirely (Asli's post).

If you've seen THG, Winter's Bone, The Burning Plains, or Poker House, it kind of blows my mind that anyone could say that she's just playing Jennifer Lawrence in her roles. In fact I was super excited when she got the role for SLP because all of her roles are normally so very dramatic and heart-wrenching. SLP is a departure for her.
  27. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:confused: I haven't said anything like that in my post?
  28. VIETgrlTerifa

This is how I feel. Not saying it was unreasonable for Jennifer Lawrence to get a nomination, but I personally would have nominated Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Marion Cotillard (Rust and Bone), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour), Naomi Watts (The Impossible), and Rachel Weisz (The Deep Blue Sea) with my vote going to Riva with Chastain and Weisz a close second. I mean if you watch any of those above performances and then watch Jennifer Lawrence in SLP, there's just no comparison of skill and depth because it's obvious she lacks it. Asli says she looks dead behind the eyes and I agree actually. She looks vacant a lot of the times and her attempt to show emotion tend to be based on superficial changes of expression without the real nuances an actor can work with in front of the camera.

Again, she really is talented, but she's not quite fully cooked yet and can use training and/or more experience.
  29. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does this it seem like this year's Oscars are going to be a lot less predictable than in years past?

It seems like most years, all but maybe one of two of the major awards are a virtual certainty by this point, but I feel like out of the big 6 categories the only real locks this year are Anne Hathaway and Daniel Day-Lewis (and possibly Spielberg, but that's mostly to do with who's missing from the category).

Yeah, Jennifer Lawrence can probably be called the favourite for Actress right now, but I think Chastain is definitely still in the race, and I've even seen some speculation on the possibility that those two split the vote enough for Emmanuelle Riva to Adrien Brody her way in there, due to the fact that her supporters seem to be the most passionate.

Supporting Actor seems like a complete toss-up to me, made even more confusing by the fact that Christoph Waltz wasn't even nominated here due to Django not screening on time.

And the Best Picture race is the most intriguing in years. If it wasn't for the Affleck snub I think you could probably say that Argo had it in the bag by now, but there's no ignoring the fact that it's been over twenty years since a movie won Best Picture without a directing nomination.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  30. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I watched the SAGs a bit the other day. Very glad Bryan Cranston won for Breaking Bad. Damien Lewis is great on Homeland, but Cranston gives one of the best TV performances I've ever seen. I know Cranston has already won plenty, but the swing recently has been toward Lewis.

I agree that only Day-Lewis and Hathaway are locks. I wish Hathaway was upset in the Oscars though because I thought her performance was over-the-top and her award speeches are annoying. However, no way's she going to lose.
  31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Jennifer's acceptance speeches (Golden Globes and SAG) have been wonderful. She looked genuinely surprised, and humble, yet not overly emotional (crying) in her acceptance speech. She is a very likable young lady, and very talented. I just don't feel that her role or acting in SLP is on par with that of her competitors at this time. They will be 'wuzrobbed' if she wins the best lead actress Oscar.

I may be the only one that does not understand why Anne Hathaway is a lock for the supporting actress Oscar (and why she has won every award for SA so far). I don't have a problem with her personality or even her acceptance speech (I only watched the one at GG; I missed that part of SAG). I feel that her role is too short compared to her competitors. Helen Hunt, for example, appears in the entire movie and has a very strong contribution to the story. Anne's role is only a small part of the story we see in Les Mis. I had the same complaint about Judi Dench winning for Shakespeare in love, but in her case it was obvious that it was done to make up for the injustice (not winning for Mrs. Brown)
    the previous year.
  32. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

That ... and the fact that the Screen Actors' Guild is looking at acting only. There's more than just the performances that go into an overall "best picture" for an Oscar.
  33. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It is a *supporting* category--why should limited time screen be a negative in a supporting role? I have not seen The Sessions, but if "Helen Hunt, for example, appears in the entire movie and has a very strong contribution to the story", why isn't she competing in the Lead category? Well, I know why...
  34. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO she should have been in the 'lead' category.
  35. VIETgrlTerifa

I think people over-estimate screen time as an indicator of whether a role is supporting or not. I think a lot of it has to do with whether the role is the central part of the story or if it orbits and "supports" the main plot. I haven't seen The Sessions, but it seems like it's John Hawke's film with Hunt supporting him even if she has a considerable amount of screen time. However, if studio is backing a movie and its Oscar campaign, then what I wrote is moot and it just means the actor/actress is in a category that he/she has a better chance of winning in.

Sometimes the supporting line is blurry. Like, you can argue that Jennifer Hudson is really the lead actress in Dreamgirls or Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener, but you can also argue they were either part of an ensemble or that being the lead female role in that particular film meant you're still supporting the main male role.

I think it was smart to put Hunt in the supporting category this year. There was no way she would have been guaranteed for Best Actress without the power of someone like Harvey Weinstein in this year of excellent female performances. Plus, Hunt was winning a few critics awards or nominated for critics awards throughout the season for Best Supporting Actress prior to the Oscar nominations.
  36. Artemis@BC

^ I agree that there's often a bit of subjectivity in whether a role is "lead" or "supporting." However Helen Hunt's role does not, IMO, fall into that grey area. It is unquestionably a lead performance, not a supporting one.

"Won't win in the lead category" should not be allowed as a justification for nominating someone in the supporting category instead.

(Of course in my view it's moot, as I don't think she deserves to win in either category. But then I don't think she should have won -- or even have been nominated -- for As Good As it Gets, either.)
  37. VIETgrlTerifa

If that's the case, then I wonder why critic circles either rewarded or nominated Hunt in the supporting category all season prior to the award nominations? It's not as if critics have a reason to put her in the supporting category when she's really a lead the way Academy members may.

I agree with you that the "won't win in the lead category" should not be a justification. I'm just saying a smart producer and campaign manager of a movie will play that card when given the opportunity (and if they have another actor/actress to back in the lead category who has a stronger chance).
  38. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Apparently ZD30 wasn't released with enough time for all the voters to screen it, so Jennifer was expected to win the SAG over Jessica.

SAG are usually the best predictor, however at the SAG, only actors vote for the winners. For the Oscars, nominees are chosen by their disciplines (actors nominate the actors, animators nominate the animated films, etc), but every voting member of the Academy votes for the actual winners in every category. So just because the actors voted for Jennifer here, doesn't mean that she'll win the Oscar.

But again, this year's SAG for actress isn't fully accurate to predict the Oscar because of when the screener for ZD30 was released.
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO the late release is going to hurt ZDT at the Oscars. By the time it was released, people had already made up their minds. Not sure why they decided to release it that late.
  40. Artemis@BC

Oscar-bait movies are frequently released in late December -- the big difference this year is that so many were released a month or so earlier. Plus there was a ton of pre-release press and buzz for Argo, Lincoln, Les Mis, and Life of Pi ... but absolutely none for ZDT. It's almost like the movie was kept as much a secret as the mission was! :D