Sad news - Nicky Slater

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by alij, Jan 18, 2013.

1. alij

alij Active Member

I haven't seen this anywhere but I was reading Nicky Slater's twitter/blog and the child he and his wife are expecting has Patau syndrome and as such will have a very limited life expectancy.

He may drive me mad as a commentator but my prayers are with him and I hope that those of you who believe will include him in yours

http://nickyslater.com/make-believe-and-ethical-dilemmas/
  2. apatinar

apatinar New Member

who is this person?
  3. alij

alij Active Member

Nicky Slater competed with Karen Barber in Ice Dance for GBR. Bronze medallist at Europeans 1983 and in top 5 at Worlds 1983 and 1984. The skated at the same time as Torvill and Dean. Nicky now commentates alongside Simon Reed and Chris Howarth for Eurosport figure skating coverage. He was also one of the judges on the first 2? seasons of Dancing on Ice.
  4. apatinar

apatinar New Member

oh wow.. thanks for the info!
  5. seabm7

seabm7 Member

Oh. alij, thanks for giving us this link to Nicky Slater's blog. My prayers are with the baby Jon and his parents.
  6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Poor family.. I like Nicky
  7. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Oh, that's terrible.
  8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

That's terribly sad. Best wishes to him and his wife :(
  9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

So sad. I hope that they are surrounded by lots of loving, supporting friends and family during this time.
  10. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

So sad to hear any stories like this. Unfortunately I know how it feels to me told by a doctor to consider terminating a pregnancy, luckily our diagnosis was incorrect and we have a very bright 4 year old but I do understand how hard it is to hear words such as this. Just reading his blog makes me teary. I wish the entire family peace and best wishes and please prove them wrong little Jon.