Sad news: Glee star Cory Monteith found dead today in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, Jul 14, 2013.

1. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

I wonder what they will do. That is a good idea.

2. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

Hmmm...what about the old TV standby: recasting?

The season could open with Finn having been in a horrible car crash, and in hospital bandaged from head to toe. (Could also be in a coma if the writers want to play it that way). After weeks and weeks of extensive reconstructive surgery (i.e. whenever the writers deem the time is right), they remove the bandages an VOILA! The new Finn is revealed. If it plays well with the audience, then Finn and Rachael get to rediscover their relationship. If it doesn't play well with the audience, then they get to end their relationship and give everyone some resolution.

I just had to mention this option, because it was done so often on TV shows in the 60's and 70's...but with today's audiences so closely associating fictional characters with the actual actors, I don't think it would fly. I'm pretty sure Glee fans would not accept anyone else in the role of Finn.

And just to be clear, it's not the option I would want either. I'm just putting it out for discussion because, as remote as it seems, it is a possibility.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That would be a perfectly fine option for a daytime soap but would never happen in a million years on Glee. lol I think you are right about people associating the actors with their characters. Social media allows fans to get to know not only the character but the person who acts. The lines are so blurred.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Glad to hear that the show is going in hiatus...they need to completely rethink the season, and anything other than a sudden death to the Finn character would feel fake. Dallas did an excellent job with the passing of Larry Hagman - a man who has been synonymous with the character of JR Ewing for 35 years - but they had to have been prepared, as Hagman's illness was known.

Finn would not have to die of a drug overdose and it would be better if he didn't - perhaps, like peibeck said, there could be a future character modeled after Monteith.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

They should pay tribute to Finn, but the writers of Glee need to take a page out of Cheers to figure out how to re-direct a show that was centered around a pair that was supposed to end up together in the end with it no longer being possible. It will help make it not only successful but breathe new life into the series.

Of course Shelley Long chose to leave Cheers and the writers knew about it a season ahead of time, so that made it easier to figure out what to do with Sam/Diane and afterwards.

6. screech

screech Well-Known Member

It might have been easier for Glee to do this if they hadn't turned Brody(?) into a prostitute. I liked him!! He and Rachel could have worked. Or, they could bring back the amazing Jesse St. James!!!

I do have to say though, that any episode(s) dealing with Finn's death will bring out a lot of emotion in the actors, and I'm sincerely hoping that Glee will not choose to submit those episodes for Emmy consideration next year

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

He would not have to. But, I genuinely believe that doing that could be meaningful in a drug education way. His tragic death could save someone else.

8. screech

I'm thinking that a less Monteith-ish way to go about it is to have Finn be killed by someone who was on drugs (like caught in a convenience store robbery or something). That way, it still educates about the dangers of drugs, but doesn't so much 'profit' off of Cory's life and struggles by making a character based on him.

9. Marney0612

Marney0612 Member

I think that it would be more powerful if they did an addiction storyline with another character and have Finn die some other way. I doubt that they are even considering having Finn just leave town. If Finn died of a drug overdose, it would bethe first time he tried drugs.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think that would just villainize addicts in a way that doesn't really paint the full picture as many don't commit violent felonies. I think a better message would be how addiction is dehabilitating and extremely difficult to keep under control no matter what sort of access one has for help. It would also be great if Glee talks about the myriad of reasons and the diversity of people who fall prey to drug addiction and the lengths they go through to hide it by being more or less functioning.

I mean they could do a story of a "junkie" who lives on the streets and commit armed robberies, but that's already how we paint addicts (especially heroin and crack cocaine addicts) which let's face it, is not the core of Glee's demographic and only further isolate addicts from the "mainstream" and thus wouldn't be relatable.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I totally agree. It is imperative that addiction be shown as a disease that can effect anyone. Regardless of social, financial, educational status. Our society likes to pretend that addicts are only street criminals. They are not, they are parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, friends, and neighbors - all who can appear to be living rather "normal" lives.

12. screech

I didn't think of it like that. I just don't think it's necessarily best for the cast to have to work with a drug addicted character. Their friend was a drug addict and they lost him to that addiction. Even if it is done differently on the show, there would be that constant reminder of what caused his death, every day at work.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

14. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Just came in to post that link. Not that I'm really wanting to give this tool any more press than she's already getting ... but it shows how anyone will use any "story of the day" to further their own aims. Ill-informed hardly begins to describe this terrible piece of "journalism." Shame on the Calgary Herald for publishing it. (And shame on for the Vancouver Province who also picked it up. Another reason I never buy their rag.)

15. overedge

A very thoughtful response to that stupid column, including some actual facts about Insite (the safe injection site):
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...onteith-died-because-vancouver-181659279.html

ETA: Heard the column's writer interviewed on radio this afternoon. She repeated all the silliness in the column, and said that Cory "might" have "possibly" gotten "someone" to go to Insite and buy heroin for him, because apparently everyone knows that drug dealers hang around outside it selling drugs :confused: One of the interviewers asked her if she had done any actual research :rofl: She didn't exactly explain how, even if what she said about Insite was true (which AFAIK it isn't), she knew for sure that was where Cory got his drugs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  16. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

I read on Glee's Facebook page that the season premiere will be delayed, but will air September 26th. Not a big delay really. Production will start early August.

17. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

I'm still very bothered by Cory's death. :( :wuzrobbed

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Was that the On the Coast interview? Yeah, it was pretty head-scratching wasn't it. You could almost hear Matthew thinking at the end "Oh good grief I give up, talking to this woman is like talking to a brick wall."

My favourite lines from her were "If he didn't know where to get it he wouldn't have bothered [doing heroin]." :confused: and "I know these are anecdotes but I don't think they're isolated anecdotes."

And I loved how she read, word for word, the one letter of support she's received ... but dismisses the hundreds/thousands of opposing views as all being illiterate and abusive.

Ok, I have now officially dedicated more than enough energy and brain real estate to this woman. There's just no point in talking to folks who have made up their mind based on truthiness.

19. overedge

The interview I heard was on the Vancouver all-news radio station. And she didn't make much more sense there either. She read that same letter, by the dad who blamed Insite because his kid (allegedly) bought heroin outside Insite and shot up there because it was "safe", and then became an addict. She didn't explain why/how Insite is responsible for that kid making stupid choices, or what that story had to do with what happened to Cory.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  20. screech

Ryan Murphy spoke about the plans for the show.

- It was decided that the best thing is to get people back to work so they can be around others who loved him so they can grieve together
    - The first two episodes of the season have been written and are a two part Beatles tribute. With some slight modifications, the episodes will be keep intact
    - Cory's death will be written into episode 3 (didn't say that Finn will die, just that Cory's death will be written in)
    - Lea will help figure out the storyline and they will look for her blessing on whatever they are thinking about doing
    - Their main concern is what Lea will be comfortable doing

I agree with that. Obviously, his death affects more than just her, but he was such an integral part of her life, that if she's not comfortable going to work, it won't be good for anyone. And I do also think that she will use his family's involvement to have some input that will respect the feelings of those closest to him. It will be hard to watch the first 2 episodes basically go on as though nothing has happened, but I get why it will be done like that.

21. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

So right now the plan is to get back, shoot the two-part Beetles episode which will buy the writers time to write Ep 3, which is going to be the Cory episode. After that, it sounds like the show is going to go on hiatus while the writers spend some time re-doing the rest of the season, which will also give the cast and crew a break. I think it's a good plan, and I'm glad they've been so sensitive to Lea and allowing her to be an integral part of the process. She wasn't just his closest co-star...she was his girlfriend. I can't think of another situation like this with an actor dying that was so difficult.

23. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

John Spencer's death in the final season of the West Wing hit the cast pretty hard.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to write an drug overdose storyline for Finn. His father died from a drug overdose and there was never any indication that Finn used drugs.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The closest thing I can think of is when John Spencer died of a heart attack during the final season of The West Wing, and they had to write Leo's death into the show.

25. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

John Ritter's death during the run of 8 Simple Rules...they wrote the death of his character into the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Simple_Rules

26. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I agree. It sounds like Ryan Murphy and the rest of the cast and crew are handling it about as well as they can right now. I think they're making the right decision to wait to have the tribute episode so they can take the time they need with it. I'm also glad they were sensitive to Lea and consulted her when deciding what to do.

27. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

I am, too, and I'm not sure why. Usually celebrity deaths are just that, not people I was close to or somehow convinced myself I was close to.

Maybe it's that Finn was such an Everyman character. Not brilliant, not headed for successful stardom in showbiz as Rachel and Kurt could be, someone with his own prejudices and mistaken beliefs, but truly in love with Rachel and almost by default a leader because of his basic decency and strength of character. And the actor seemed the same way, I don't recall one snarky or sniping report about him attributed to the other cast members or crew.

Whatever it is, it's very very depressing.

28. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

I will always remember Phil Hartman's death during the summer of 1998. When Newsradio returned in the fall his character Bill had died and they essentially had the cast mourn for him on air (the scene where they talked about him was very, very real). It was painful to watch but cathartic for the viewers (and I suspect, the cast). However very different as this was a coworker/friend and not a boyfriend. Lea is a very brave girl

29. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I've seen and been affected by many celebrity deaths. I'd stopped watching Glee after S2, but what's made this particular tragedy hit me is Lea. Looking back now, she seems to have been crazy about him. And even tho she's sometimes had a rep as a diva, I also have an affection for old-style Broadway kids. So I've just felt terrible for her.

I've been watching Glee stuff on YT, like her renditions of Don't Rain on My Parade live on their tour. I hope that spark and fire helps her thdough this. But :(

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Yeah, even though Glee was no longer interesting to me I've always been invested in Lea's career because she really is enormously talented and has a genuinely fantastic voice I could listen to all day. I think that concern for her is hitting a lot of fans hard. Lea is Glee.