Sad news: Glee star Cory Monteith found dead today in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Too young. I hate to hear these kind of news. RIP :(

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.

3. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Wow. :( So very, very sad.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This is so very sad.
    Condolences to his family, friends, co-workers; and all who admired him,
    RIP, Cory.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

So sad :(. We have lost so many young celebrities to drugs. And we have lost so many more young people who are not celebrities. It seems that this is becoming more frequent. We need better information, intervention, and treatment for addiction. Whether the person is famous or not, a lost life is tragic.

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Very much so...but as long as there continues to be a stigma against mental illness, people will continue to "medicate" themselves, and lives will continue to be lost.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  7. cruisin

I totally agree. We have come a long way from the "snake pits", but we still have so, so far to go.

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Having never seen Glee I have no idea who he is but to die so young is tragic. Good thoughts for his family, fiancee and friends.

9. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

This actually made me cry. About ten years ago we worked at the same restaurant in Victoria. He was a bus boy/dishwasher and I was a hostess. I didn't know him well, nor kept in contact with him at all, but he seemed like a really great person and this just breaks my heart. Drugs and addiction are such a horrible thing :(

RIP Cory

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I still can't believe it. I'm not a huge movie watcher generally and while I was sorry to hear about deaths like Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy...this hits more. :( RIP Cory.

12. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Wow, what terrible news. Prayers to his family, friends and co-stars in this terrible time.

13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 6h
    One of the kindest people in all Hollywood, RIP Cory. You made so many people believe in themselves, and with such warmth.

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 6h
    RIP Cory Monteith. @ Sun Valley Lodge http://instagram.com/p/bvbvo4BhUH/

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    What a lovely tribute from Johnny.

15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

16. Spareoom

Glee, for better or for worse, has always prided themselves on being *that* show that takes almost every issue and bit of current cultural discussion, and makes it relevant to the lives of their characters. When the time comes, I can only hope that they give Finn the send-off that he deserves and give the characters a chance to say goodbye if they so wish. He was such a huge part of the show; for some reason it wouldn't seem right to have Finn just "move away to California" or something. I'm sure the writers and creators will handle Finn's departure with dignity and respect.

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. There's a huge burden in being a show that so many young people take so seriously, and I think you're right that the producers are likely to feel that sense of responsibility. It would be the right thing to do for the fans -- and of course the right thing to do to honour Cory. It's a tough thing to get right, though, especially when those involved in the show will themselves be grieving. I don't envy them that task.

18. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Lea Michele's rep has released a statement asking for "respect for her privacy during this devastating time." I can't even begin to imagine what she (and his family and friends) are going through. He seemed like he was good for her (she seemed much 'lighter' since they got together) and I feel horribly for however they are going to incorporate his death into the show. It will be devastating to her to go through it on the show as well. I can't imagine the person I love dying, and then having to also have that person die (or 'move away') at work after the fact.

Thoughts are with everyone whose life he touched.

19. Spareoom

I honestly didn't know they were together in real life. Is it true they were going to be married soon?

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard that and can't find anything to confirm it that didn't pop up last night in the Twitter madness. Matthew Morrison said about a month ago that he planned on singing at their wedding, but it sounded like more of a "when they eventually get married some time in the future" than that they were actually engaged.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Incredibly sad news :(

For me, it hits less. Heath Ledger was hard...possibly because he was younger, a father, and a cultural icon in my country. Amy Winehouse was tragic but not unexpected. This is both tragic and unexpected, but having lost a friend in real life who died suddenly years after seemingly overcoming his addictions, I don't find it so hard to fathom :(

By all accounts, he was a genuinely nice guy who everybody loved. It's a huge loss to his family and the Glee community. My heart breaks for his loved ones.

22. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

What a tragedy. I stopped watching Glee last season but for a couple of years there, it really was my TV highlight of the week. Poor guy, and how terrible for Lea and his family and friends.

23. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

My first thought also. Or it could be heart failure from so many years of drug use.

RIP Cory

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  24. cruisin

Another thing that can happen is that someone who is treated for a drug addiction, believes that alcohol is not their problem. Often, they are put on prescription meds. to treat an underlying psychiatric problem, the combination of alcohol and the prescription meds can be highly dangerous. Especially in someone who may already have damaged their organs.

25. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:( So, so sad.

Dot-Marie Jones is staying at the same resort as Mr. DaveRocks and me (we are currently on our honeymoon). We saw her at breakfast this morning, hobbling to her table in her knee brace, and her head hanging low. I feel terribly for her. If we had bumped into her yesterday, we would have excitedly said hello to her. Today, however, is very, very sad.

:fragile:

26. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Same here. Really really sad. :(

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I haven't watched Glee in quite a while either but this news hit me hard this morning. He was way too young to die and my heart aches for his family and friends (especially poor Lea). So so sad and just unfathomable to me right now. :fragile:

RIP Cory :(

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

29. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

There are unconfirmed reports that Lea had dumped Cory and he went on a bender. I won't care to postulate since 1) it doesn't change what happened and 2) Lea is already suffering enough.

It's sad but not uncommon in Hollywood. In fact, the parties I've seen the MOST drugs at are the so called "teen" or "young Hollywood" events where there are celebs there as young as 13-14.

It's just a reality of the business, sadly.

30. cruisin

Sadly, it's been a reality of certain industries for a long time. 30 years ago, when my Advertising firm had their Christmas party, they had it at a very upscale NYC hotel. There was a suite, upstairs, that only certain people were invited to. Being late 20's (at the time) I was invited. I walked in and saw the bowls of coke and pills and walked out. Not something I wanted to be involved with. However, it seems like this has become more mainstream lately. In addition to celebrities, I am hearing of far too many young people overdosing. Some fatally, some rescued. It is a travesty that we do nothing about it. It is a bigger travesty that our society and it's judgmental nature contributes to it.