Sad news: Glee star Cory Monteith found dead today in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I still can't believe it. I'm not a huge movie watcher generally and while I was sorry to hear about deaths like Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy...this hits more. :( RIP Cory.
  2. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Wow, what terrible news. Prayers to his family, friends and co-stars in this terrible time.
  3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 6h
    One of the kindest people in all Hollywood, RIP Cory. You made so many people believe in themselves, and with such warmth.

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 6h
    RIP Cory Monteith. @ Sun Valley Lodge http://instagram.com/p/bvbvo4BhUH/
    HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    What a lovely tribute from Johnny.
  5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

6. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Glee, for better or for worse, has always prided themselves on being *that* show that takes almost every issue and bit of current cultural discussion, and makes it relevant to the lives of their characters. When the time comes, I can only hope that they give Finn the send-off that he deserves and give the characters a chance to say goodbye if they so wish. He was such a huge part of the show; for some reason it wouldn't seem right to have Finn just "move away to California" or something. I'm sure the writers and creators will handle Finn's departure with dignity and respect.
  7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. There's a huge burden in being a show that so many young people take so seriously, and I think you're right that the producers are likely to feel that sense of responsibility. It would be the right thing to do for the fans -- and of course the right thing to do to honour Cory. It's a tough thing to get right, though, especially when those involved in the show will themselves be grieving. I don't envy them that task.
  8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Lea Michele's rep has released a statement asking for "respect for her privacy during this devastating time." I can't even begin to imagine what she (and his family and friends) are going through. He seemed like he was good for her (she seemed much 'lighter' since they got together) and I feel horribly for however they are going to incorporate his death into the show. It will be devastating to her to go through it on the show as well. I can't imagine the person I love dying, and then having to also have that person die (or 'move away') at work after the fact.

Thoughts are with everyone whose life he touched.
  9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't know they were together in real life. Is it true they were going to be married soon?
  10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard that and can't find anything to confirm it that didn't pop up last night in the Twitter madness. Matthew Morrison said about a month ago that he planned on singing at their wedding, but it sounded like more of a "when they eventually get married some time in the future" than that they were actually engaged.
  11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Incredibly sad news :(

For me, it hits less. Heath Ledger was hard...possibly because he was younger, a father, and a cultural icon in my country. Amy Winehouse was tragic but not unexpected. This is both tragic and unexpected, but having lost a friend in real life who died suddenly years after seemingly overcoming his addictions, I don't find it so hard to fathom :(

By all accounts, he was a genuinely nice guy who everybody loved. It's a huge loss to his family and the Glee community. My heart breaks for his loved ones.
  12. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

What a tragedy. I stopped watching Glee last season but for a couple of years there, it really was my TV highlight of the week. Poor guy, and how terrible for Lea and his family and friends.
  13. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

My first thought also. Or it could be heart failure from so many years of drug use.

RIP Cory
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  14. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Another thing that can happen is that someone who is treated for a drug addiction, believes that alcohol is not their problem. Often, they are put on prescription meds. to treat an underlying psychiatric problem, the combination of alcohol and the prescription meds can be highly dangerous. Especially in someone who may already have damaged their organs.
  15. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:( So, so sad.

Dot-Marie Jones is staying at the same resort as Mr. DaveRocks and me (we are currently on our honeymoon). We saw her at breakfast this morning, hobbling to her table in her knee brace, and her head hanging low. I feel terribly for her. If we had bumped into her yesterday, we would have excitedly said hello to her. Today, however, is very, very sad.

:fragile:
  16. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Same here. Really really sad. :(
  17. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I haven't watched Glee in quite a while either but this news hit me hard this morning. He was way too young to die and my heart aches for his family and friends (especially poor Lea). So so sad and just unfathomable to me right now. :fragile:

RIP Cory :(
  18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

19. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

There are unconfirmed reports that Lea had dumped Cory and he went on a bender. I won't care to postulate since 1) it doesn't change what happened and 2) Lea is already suffering enough.

It's sad but not uncommon in Hollywood. In fact, the parties I've seen the MOST drugs at are the so called "teen" or "young Hollywood" events where there are celebs there as young as 13-14.

It's just a reality of the business, sadly.
  20. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Sadly, it's been a reality of certain industries for a long time. 30 years ago, when my Advertising firm had their Christmas party, they had it at a very upscale NYC hotel. There was a suite, upstairs, that only certain people were invited to. Being late 20's (at the time) I was invited. I walked in and saw the bowls of coke and pills and walked out. Not something I wanted to be involved with. However, it seems like this has become more mainstream lately. In addition to celebrities, I am hearing of far too many young people overdosing. Some fatally, some rescued. It is a travesty that we do nothing about it. It is a bigger travesty that our society and it's judgmental nature contributes to it.
  21. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I just read on the Yahoo news site that the guy who plays brody and the girl who plays marley are engaged.
    Must be something in the water at the glee set.
    I am waiting on pins and needles to find out what was the results of Cory's autopsy. I hope it wasn't a drug overdose. I t would be easier to take if it was a heartatack or some other organ failure than if he had done it to himself by taking more drugs.
  22. screech

Apparently the toxicology results will be shared in the next few days because of the level of interest in the case.
  23. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20717391,00.html?xid=email-peopledaily-20130715AM-20717391

Cory Monteith Was 'In Great Spirits' Two Days Before Death
    By MARY GREEN
    07/14/2013 at 11:00 PM EDT

Excerpt:

http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20717358,00.html?xid=email-peopledaily-20130715AM-20717363

Cory Monteith & Lea Michele: Their Love Story (in photos)
    How the couple's reel-to-real romance grew from cozy costar days to tough togetherness

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ry-monteith-at-nyc-concert?utm_source=twitter

Matthew Morrison Pays Tribute to Cory Monteith at NYC Concert
    By Kimberly Nordyke, The Hollywood Reporter | July 15, 2013 9:05 AM EDT

Excerpt:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  24. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

This is really sad. My heart goes out to his friends, family and everyone who loved him. RIP, Cory. :(
  25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

One thing to remember is that it is very dangerous to use again after going through detox and getting clean. The person often goes right back to using the same amount they did before but they forget that because they are clean they no longer have the kind of tolerance they used to. They end up taking an overdose that just months ago would have only been enough for a good high. I am afraid this is what happened to him.
  26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'd take that with a pinch of salt...given other reports they were getting married. Even if it is true, Lea can't be held accountable for Cory's emotional dependence on drugs, assuming it was indeed an OD.

That's precisely what happened to a friend of mine :(
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Maybe we shouldn't be speculating on what happened to him until there is more definitive information. The only thing that seems to be sure at this point is that foul play was not involved.
  28. BigB08822

I don't see anything wrong with speculating. We are all thinking it and no one is talking bad about him if he did die from drugs. We all understand it is a horrible disease, no one is judging from what I can tell.
  29. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It's sad and what will be sadder is if it's found that his death was b/c of drugs. I guess we'll find out...
  31. screech

Naya Rivera (Santana) released an official statement.
    This seems to show that things were still good between him and Lea...
    Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  32. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But we don't even know if he died from drugs or from something else. That is what I am saying maybe we should wait to find out.
  33. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I can't link the article (not good at doing that on the new phone just yet) but I just read an article earlier that said that Lea was looking forward to starting a family with him in the future. I can't even begin to imagine how she's feeling- they seemed like they were really good for each other. So sad.

I stopped watching Glee during season 3, but even when he annoyed me Finn was a great character, and there will be a huge hole on the show now. Cory seems to have been a really amazing person, and it's sad that he had so many struggles.

Thinking of his family, friends and Lea.
  34. screech

Apparently the first 5 episodes were already written and were pretty Finn heavy. As wrong as it seems to be thinking about the show right now, it is going to be a struggle for the writers to rewrite everything. Most shows go back to production in mid to late July to be ready for their September premiere dates, so unless the premiere is pushed back, it will be a struggle to get everything redone in time.
  35. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I was totally shocked and saddened when the news of Cory's death flashed across my TV screen this weekend. :fragile: I'm still finding it hard to believe. Gone much, much too young (same age as my nephew). :( Condolences to his family, loved ones, and friends.
  36. dardar1126

Twitter:

37. dramagrrl

dramagrrl New Member

Nope - the guy who plays Ryder (Blake Jenner) and the girl who plays Marley (Melissa Benoist) are apparently engaged.
  38. screech

39. dardar1126

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...y-monteith-thoughts-on-losing-glees-heartbeat

Cory Monteith: Thoughts on Losing 'Glee's Heartbeat

By Rae Votta | July 14, 2013 11:00 PM EDT

Excerpt:

40. BigB08822

Which is why it's just speculation. I think we are all mature enough to know the difference.
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.