Sad news - Barbara Ann Scott has passed away (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Judy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I looked in vain for a story on her passing in the Toronto Star. Online, yes but nothing in the print version. Isn't it ironic that the paper breathlessly reported Justin Bieber vomiting on stage yet nothing about a Canadian heroine? I'm so glad that others stepped up and paid tribute. I emailed the paper today to complain. I'm sure nothing will happen but I feel better for having spoken up.

2. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I had to break the news to my 83 year old mum (born and raised in Canada) yesterday because she is retired and watches HLN, CNN, FOX, etc all day and no mention at all of Ms Scott's passing. My mom was devastated and also mortified at the lack of coverage of an Olympic Gold Medalist's life story. Very sad indeed.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Good for you for complaining. The print version of the Globe and Mail (in the West) ran an obituary on its regular obits page, most of it borrowed from the New York Times, but nothing in the sports section or in the regular news section. That was shameful.

4. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

The Ottawa Citizen had it on the front page, and other articles on the op ed page and in the sports section. Lots on the local radio station (CBC) too. At least she was well remembered in her home town!

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Such a graceful beautiful woman. Classy too.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

7. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Barbara seemed like quite a neat lady! I love watching the youtube clips of her. Love knowing she was the female Dick Button of her time, winning so many competitions, including Europeans!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Check out the jump history section of the Jackson Skates website: http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/jumphist.html

It refers to Barbara Ann Scott as the first female to complete a double lutz in "official competition" in 1942.

I suspect that Alena Vrzáňová (Aja Zenova) had the first at Worlds.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

An update:
    I actually got a response from the Toronto Star. I was told that she got 2/3 of a page in the later edition (I missed it) and that the sports dept. felt that she was an exemplary Canadian. I feel better knowing that she was acknowledged.

I'm surprised at how much her passing has affected me. The U.S. has had so many female Olympic gold medalists but Canada has had only one and that was Barbara Ann! She really meant so much to Canadian figure skating fans. All of the little girls of the time had Barbara Ann dolls or caps or skating costumes and we all pretended to be her on the ice. So I'm still sad.

I see that the funeral will be held in Florida. I hope that somehow the response here can be passed on to her family members.

11. lulu

lulu New Member

That is great that the Toronto Star responded to you, and I'm glad she got a proper tribute in the newspaper as well.

12. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Wow, athletes today never get that kind of parade.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Her success was a reason for celebration after the privations and struggle of World War II.
    It was an important "spirit-lifter" for the entire country.

15. manleywoman

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Dick spoke the truth.

I mourn for him.
    It must be difficult to realize that you are one of the last living trailblazers of skating.

17. manleywoman

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.