Sad news - Barbara Ann Scott has passed away (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Judy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

What a wonderful tribute from PJ Kwong.

Rest in peace, Barbara Ann Scott.

2. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

What a legend. My condolences to her family.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Indeed...that's one reason why manleywomen's podcasts are so important,

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Thanks for this. Some days I feel like nobody is listening. She is the first person of all the interviews I've done to have passed away. So right now I'm feeling very grateful that I'm doing what I'm doing to help preserve their voices and stories.

I really hope everyone can listen to this one since she really was wonderful.

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

RIP Barbara Ann Scott...thanks for the wonderful memories.

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

such a beauty on and off the ice. What a sad day for skating and Canada. RIP :saint:

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I'm listening to it right now. :)

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Lucky you for having met her!

9. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

I've listened to many of the podcasts and really enjoy them, thanks!

That Barbara Ann Scott interview was enlightening and at times a hoot. A very elegant lady with a wonderful sense of humor. :)

10. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

11. skatesindreams

12. manleywoman

13. skatesindreams

manleywoman, I'm continuing to support the podcast.
    I hope that others will be able to do the same.

I'm grateful for the effort and care that make them so special.

14. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I just loved the videos. The gallery was amazing, and I didn't realize that Barbara was on What's My Line. :)

15. manleywoman

Thank you. ;)

16. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Barbara Ann Scott is the first skater I remember. It was an ice show at Madison Square Garden shortly before she retired. Hollywood Ice Review maybe? She was brought out on the ice in a cage.

17. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

My greatest memory of Barbara Ann was at the airport after Vancouver worlds in 2001. It was about 5am and she and her husband strode into the international terminal immaculately dressed with a red suede suit and cap with a cape around her shoulders. Worlds in London will not be the same without her.

18. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

For those with access to CBC, on tonight's "National" there will be a special item on Barbara Ann. It's being promoted in the early evening network shows.

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

In 1949 Barbra Ann performed at a skating show in St Andrews NB. In appreciation the province her a china tea set that had only been used for the Royal Visit of King George and Queen Elizabeth in 1939.

A few years ago, she donated it back to the province, and CBC interviewed her. They replayed the interview today. She will be missed.

20. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

That video was amazing. Definitely added it to my favorites on youtube. Thanks for the link.

RIP :(

21. victorskid

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

All Mom knew was that one of the Rankin girls had died, but not who. I had the great good fortune to see The Rankin Family in Concert in the Fall of 93 and to meet Barbara Ann at 06 Canadians. Both were unforgettable moments.

As I cherish my personally signed photo of her from her Homecoming Parade after winning Olympic Gold she gave me in Ottawa.

What a sad day for Canadian Figure Skating, as we not only lost a Legend and a Classy Lady, but the skater who really did start the great tradition of Canadian Figure Skaters shining on the World Stage. She truly was a trailblazer.

I was the last person to meet her that day at the Civic Arena and when I first tried to talk to her, just who I was meeting hit me hard and I literally stumbled over my first sentence I said to her. I took a deep breath, started again and apologized for sounding like an idiot. Barbara Ann simply took my hand in hers and said, "It's alright my dear, we all do it at times when talking to someone."

As others have said, she made you feel like you were the only one in the room w/her and it didn't matter what the schedule was or if she was running late, if she was talking to you, then she was going to take all the time in the World to talk to you. There aren't too many people like that these days sadly.

Godspeed Lovely Lady. Namarie Tari o Helce. :(

(Farewell Queen of Ice)

23. skatesindreams

24. Judy

Judy New Member

My mom owned a bike that her parents had sold .. from way back when they would have been little girls. I always teased my mom that the bike would have been worth a small fortune if she had held onto it.

25. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

I am sending this by cut and paste as I think you need a paid subscription to read it:

Barbara Ann Scott, Canadian Figure Skater, Dies at 84
    By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN
    Published: October 1, 2012

Barbara Ann Scott, who became a Canadian heroine at 19 when she won figure skating gold at the 1948 Winter Olympics, succeeding Norway’s Sonja Henie as the premier women’s skater in a sport Europeans had dominated for decades, died on Sunday at her home on Amelia Island, Fla. She was 84.

The Canadian Press, via Associated Press
    Barbara Ann Scott practicing in St. Moritz, Switzerland in 1948.

Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press, via Associated Press
    Barbara Ann Scott in 2006.
    Her husband, Tom King, confirmed her death.

Growing up in Ottawa, Scott idolized Henie, the women’s singles champion at the last three Olympics before World War II. Emerging as a champion in her own right, Scott was hailed as Canada’s sweetheart when she put her country on the international sports map, prompting a toy company to create a Barbara Ann Scott doll. It became a cherished gift for a generation of Canadian girls.

Scott was the first North American to capture the world and European championships. She won both in 1947, and again the next year.

Her most spectacular triumph came at the 1948 St. Moritz Winter Games in Switzerland, where she became the first, and only, Canadian to win an Olympic championship in figure skating singles, triumphing on an outdoor rink rutted from hockey games. She was also a multiple North American and Canadian national champion.

The former Canadian prime minister Mackenzie King, who died in 1950, said Scott “gave Canadians courage to get through the darkness of the postwar gloom.”

And she charmed with her youthful glamour. Life magazine, reporting on her 1947 world championship victory in Stockholm, called her “a shy, blue-eyed Canadian beauty” who was “undeniably lovely in face and form.”

When Scott returned to Ottawa, her hometown, after her world and European figure skating triumphs in 1947, tens of thousands greeted her, and the mayor presented her with a yellow convertible on behalf of the city, the license plate reading 47-U-1 (for “1947, You Won”).

Scott gave the car back when Avery Brundage, the head of the United States Olympic Committee, questioned whether her acceptance of it might jeopardize her amateur status and make her ineligible for Olympic competition. But the car was returned to her after she won Olympic gold in 1948 and decided to turn professional. It was repainted blue with the license plate updated to 48-U-1.

Scott usually dominated the compulsories, the tracing of figure-eight variations, which accounted for 60 percent of the scoring in her era, but she deftly executed spins and leaps as well. At 13, she became the first female skater to complete a double lutz in competition.

“She was delicate, precise, exact, meticulous — simply perfect,” said the American skater Dick Button, who won the men’s singles in St. Moritz, joining with Scott to herald the international emergence of North American skaters.

Button, who won again at the 1952 Winter Games but is known today more for his televised skating commentary, told Sports Illustrated in 1988 that in her St. Moritz gold medal performance, Scott “did everything right, and there was nobody to challenge her who was better in one particular area, either compulsory figure or free skating.”

In reflecting on the exactness of her compulsories, Scott said: “I like everything to be neat and tidy and symmetrical. I tried to get as near perfect a circle as possible.”

Scott was named Canada’s athlete of the year for 1945 and again for 1947 and 1948. After her Olympic triumph, she embarked on a pro ice-show career, appearing at Christmastime in 1948 at the Roxy theater in Manhattan. She went on to tour with several companies.

With one, the Hollywood Ice Revue, she made her entrance at Madison Square Garden in 1955 in “an evening wrap made of 546 white foxtails, 85 dyed gray and 375 blue,” Life magazine reported, lauding her fresh-faced teenage aura. The wrap rendered her “exhausted and nearly immobilized,” Life said, before she shed it to begin her routine.

She continued to perform until her marriage in 1955 to Mr. King, the press agent for the Hollywood Ice Revue, in which she succeeded Henie as the featured attraction. They settled in Chicago, where King’s business interests were based, but she was hardly forgotten in Canada.

“Even though I was a male skater, she was the one person I looked up to,” Donald Jackson of Canada, the 1962 men’s world figure skating champion and 1960 Olympic bronze medalist, told The Ottawa Citizen in 1999. “Barbara Ann Scott was the one big idol that we skaters knew, that everyone knew.”

Barbara Ann Scott was born on May 9, 1928, in Ottawa, the daughter of Clyde Scott, an army colonel. She began skating at an Ottawa club when she was 6 and won the Canadian junior championship at 11. When she was 12, her father died, and friends and other Ottawa residents raised money to send her to competitions. She captured the first of her four Canadian national senior titles at 15.

After her pro career ended, Scott trained and rode show horses, owned a beauty salon and did charitable work. In their later years, she and Mr. King lived in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, in northeast Florida.

Scott carried the Olympic torch before the 1988 Calgary Games. She bore a torch again, this time into Canada’s House of Commons, preceding the 2010 Vancouver Games, where she was among the Canadian flag-bearers. She donated much of her memorabilia, including her Olympic gold medal, to the city of Ottawa in 2011.

On the 60th anniversary of her Olympic victory, she spoke of the moment she received that gold medal.

“It was a blinding snowstorm,” Steve Milton quoted her saying in “Figure Skating’s Greatest Stars” (2009). “I’ll never forget seeing the flag go up with the snow falling and hearing ‘O Canada’ so far away from home.”

26. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you so much for the obit.

I love this quote.

27. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Famously, Barbara is the only woman from outside Europe to win the European Championships, which she did in both 1947 and 1948. This video features her winning the 1947 European Championships:-

After the 1948 European Championships (in which not only did Barbara win the Ladies event, but Dick Button the Men's competition as well), non-Europeans were banned from competing in the Championships!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I believe the Times article MIGHT be incorrect in saying she was the first female to complete a double lutz in competition. I have read that Alena Vrzá&#328;ová of Czechoslovakia was the first woman credited with a double lutz, performed at the 1949 World Championships.

29. victorskid

30. sbanet

sbanet Well-Known Member

Not certain, but it could be that it was Barbara Ann Scott who had the first double lutz in a figure skating competition, and Alena Vrzá&#328;ová who had the first ratified 2Lz in an ISU competition? (Noting that due to WWII no ISU Euros or Worlds comps were held from 1940 through 1946 seasons.)