S. Korea to file complaint with ISU over composition of Olympic Ladies judging panel

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/21/olympics-figureskating-yuna-idUSL3N0MI14420140321
    Yonhap News Agency article: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...mplaint-over-winter-games-figure-skating-ju-1
    ETA: http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/...omplaint-over-olympic-figure-skating-judging/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Great, Good timing too with Worlds coming up, In the forums fan's are ridiculing the result, 2 million people signed a petition to investigate, The ISU's Facebook is flooded till now with complaints daily, Experts and skaters have weighed in,

It's time for the ISU tot pull their heads out of their asses and start taking this seriously, It's not going away.

Just because Favouritism is ingrained in the History of this sport doesn't mean that we're gonna keep putting up with it

Spreading the news

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

INTERNATIONAL SKATING UNION CONSTITUTION and GENERAL REGULATIONS 2012
    http://static.isu.org/media/79153/2012_constitution_and_general_regulations.pdf

Starting on page 48:

4. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I wonder what is the weight of your upcoming Olympic host being pissed off at you

5. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Well...it's not like South Korea is jeopardizing all their medal hopes for Worlds... :shuffle:

6. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

They are jeopardizing a few things. I have to go out and get a new TV tomorrow.
    I was going to buy a Samsung - but forget it. I will get a Toshiba or Sony,

Mind you, it is an intentional reaction not to buy a Korean product based on the continuing lack of sportsmanship from a particular nation.

In fact I will send a message to Samsung informing them of my purchasing decision based on the poor sportsmanship of their client.

If I gave a crap am sure I could start an online petition belittling Yuna and Koreans.....am sure a few million Russians would sign it.

What's the point?
    To appear stupid on purpose?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

That petition was made, I think about 7,000+ signed it.

I'm not gonna stop buying Russian things because of a judging panel,
    THAT would be an over reaction,

Though with the way things are going in Russia i can't say anything as far as buying Russian in the future ;)

8. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

You wanna protest? I respect that.

You wanna wait 3 weeks ? You are weak!

You want to protest because your entire skating team underperformed?

Good luck with that.
    Hint: sometimes the best way to "SAVE FACE" is to keep your mouth shut.

Yea, yes, OK, there it is :)

9. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

What a bunch of crybabies, seriously. :p It's all about character, accept the decision, congratulate the winner, move on. :)

Or forever be known as a sore loser... :drama:

10. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Can't you acknowledge that this is concerning most of your friends here,
    Wether you care about this or not or disagree with it, And treat this as an actual issue ?
    I can't understand the worth of these attitudes.

11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I don't particularly disagree with the Sochi results, and I think that Kim could have been bronze behind Carolina. Just so you know the side of the argument that I am coming from.

I applaud the KSU/KOC for being willing to make waves and for questioning the make-up of the panel. How many people here have said, repeatedly, that anonymous judging needs to end? How many times have we heard complaints about back room deals and questionable judges? Now, maybe the ISU will have to address these issues instead of sweeping them under the rug behind closed doors.

12. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I think they are right to file this complaint. It does not mean that the results should be changed but I think ISU is not concerned enough about the appearance of credibility for judges. They need to look into this and take the complaints seriously.

Granted this was probably filed because the Korean federation is feeling heat from the public which isn't that well informed about the issues but I think the ISU should address the issues raised.

13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I don't think that it is a question of lack of sportsmanship at all. Unless you are just one of those folks who needs surface calm so much you prefer not to look at what is going on underneath, I don't see why you should object so vehemently.

IMO, the judging of ISU events, the selection of judges, the secrecy behind the marks and the evaluation of judges, the continued use in the highest events of judges with a history of ethical violations are all things worthy of more scrutiny. If enough federations do enough complaining, sooner or later, some good might come of it.

14. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

The whole judging in figure skating in Sochi was terrible. It wasn't just the ladies. There should be a complete investigation to all that went on in the Sochi figure skating. I don't believe in changing medals or handing out second medals, but I do think something needs to get to the bottom of the entire Sochi figure skating and what all was going down there.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  15. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

The figure skating results in Sochi went according to ISU plan$.

Who does anyone think they can protest too??

I was watching "The Book Thief" last night (great book, very good film) and at one point in the movie, a character says, "who can we protest to, Hitler?"

Good luck protesting anything under the IJ$. Remember, the $ystem was built, designed and based on not getting caught cheating.

16. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Think about the comparison you just made, And if you'd take actions against something like that if you could.

It's not like the ISU are so strong that everyone's afraid to mess with them.

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Sp

Judge 1: Robert Rosenbluth
    Judge 2: Karen Howard
    Judge 3: Franco Benini
    Judge 4: Birgit Foell
    Judge 5: Diana Stevens
    Judge 6: Nobuhiko Yoshioka
    Judge 7: Katarina Henriksson
    Judge 8: Adriana Domanska
    Judge 9: Koh Sung-Hee

Fs
    Judge 1: Birgit Foll
    Judge 2: Yuri Balkov
    Judge 3: Franco Benini
    Judge 4: Zanna Kulik
    Judge 5: Nobuhiko Yoshioka
    Judge 6: Alla Shekhovtsova
    Judge 7: Helene Cucuphat
    Judge 8: Karen Howard
    Judge 9: Adriana Domanska

So the request is that all these people be investigated

18. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Please lead and show us the way out of the darkness.
    Just remember not everybody is interested in entering your Yunaverse,

There are many Carolina fans - it's just that on the whole they are a classy, sporting group who are happy with the memory of how well she skated in Sochi.

19. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

What a sad place the world would be if everyone thought like this. Women not getting paid the same for doing the same job as a man? Suck it up and stop whining! you're lucky we even let you vote! :lol:
    Really? Like what? The ladies event was the only thing that really stood out for me. Maybe the Dance bronze. Maybe.

20. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Those Carolina Fans are me,

I don't care what country served the complaint, As long as someone did,

And i don't find anything "Classy" about shutting up in the face of something you think is unjust,

If anything, The whole KOC\KSU articulation in this complaint, if you read their statement, is being very classy.

21. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

A lot of people have raised questions regarding the Sochi competition.

I think the specific complaint filed by the Korean federation addresses some of the questions people have raised about conflicts of interests by the judges.

The existence of people's questions doesn't by itself call into question the results but it is worth the ISU giving consideration to them. I don't think that any investigation is going to lead to any alteration of results, but if there are steps they can take in the future to reduce the appearance of conflicts of interest, it would be a good thing.

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Bring Back The 6.0 System

Exactly Nadine. Well said. Just a bunch of sore losers.

23. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

exactly!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  24. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Good for them! Having a judge who was suspended for cheating on the panel at the Olympics... Are you kidding? And another married to the Fed present.. IIRC. Investigate the $hit out of all of them. Review every tech call if you have to. Every edge on every jump. Show some integrity.

itsartemis, l'etoile, alilou and 5 others like this.
  25. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA! People simply don't have confidence in the results reached by biased and/or corrupt judges, regardless of the merits of the performances at issue. Furthermore, if a review justifies Adelina's win (on the theory that "all out" prevails) then so much the better for her, too.

26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Even if some people think this reeks of being a sore loser, I think we can all agree that IJS hasn't done anything to get rid of, let alone improve, the politics and corruption from within the system. Corruption has been brewing throughout various international competitions each year IJS has been in place. And it finally exploded at the Sochi Olympics in almost every event.

It's good that someone/some federation is stepping up to force the ISU to investigate this, complain, and analyze the horrific judging that went down at the Olympics because we need to overturn this system, even if it means mass upheaval of many figure skating officials and judging in general.

27. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I'm finding it hard to understand some malicious posts here,
    Don't you have to at least be a competitor in a race to qualify as a sore loser ?

Maofan7, Aren't you a fan of skating ?
    We're all in this together you know.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Would this complaint have been filed with the same judging panel in place if Yuna Kim had won? I HIGHLY doubt it! Nothing about Yuna's performances in either program segment justified her as the clear winner over Kostner or Sotnikova, especially considering the fact that she had 1 less triple in the LP to both of them. Her artistry certainly is not without a shadow of a doubt better than Kostner. I can see the argument that in PCS, she is better than Sotnikova, but I truly do believe that what Adelina does in the spins (with higher levels) and with the added tech content of 7 triples including a 2Axel+3toe and a 3Lutz+3toe attempt would be enough to prop her over a Yuna Kim, who was not at her peak the way she was in Vancouver. The energy and enthusiasm levels between Sotnikova and Kim were like night and day. Yuna appeared so reserved, it was as if she were skating in a practice session. Adelina's spark and feisty attitude lit up the crowd and the difference between the 2 approaches did affect the judges. It was a very close race all the way around with those 3 in Sochi; nothing at all like Vancouver where Kim was the clear winner without a shadow of a doubt.

29. os168

os168 Active Member

Not according to these Italian commentators ;)

http://vimeo.com/89457478

If it bring improvement to the judging system by removing anonymity and improve transparency and accountability, I am all for it!

30. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Some people who support this investigation don't necessarily think Kim should've won.

Regarding your arguments, Kim had 6 triples in her Vancouver FS as well,
    Joannie had 7, One bad landing and a home crowed (And lots of others) rooting for her like Sotnikova had, She probs shoulda won right?