Russian WebTV problems

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by orientalplane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Another GP series, another set of viewing problems. :lol: :mad:

I've paid my money for Russian WebTV and have been sent a link via email, along with the pincode. But nothing happens when I click on the link. I cannot log in, nor can I download the programme. If I try to ask for technical support, I just get a message saying, "Please write your query in English." :rolleyes:

I don't know what else to try. I'm longing to see the skating. Anyone else having similar problems or can anyone give advice about how to access it?

Thanks. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Download from here

http://38.100.138.4:10080/rutelevision/setup.exe

Once you have it, install it on your PC

there a web browser (the webtv one) will open, is a blue kind of tv screen

just on the window menu go and change the settings for english, submit your information

and go for the pincode space, write the number they sent you and there you go

3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Thanks Braulio - you are wonderful! :cheer2: :)

4. Elka

Elka Active Member

There were problems with the WebTV last Saturday and therefore I read their forum a bit. It seams that they have "always" problems, when there are big events like football and lot of users. People complaining there used language that is not usually seen in writing. Probably tells more about football lovers than webtv.

Anyhow, they were discussing an alternative for webtv, "better quality and reliable". tvteka. At first sight it does not look very user friendly for someone not speaking Russian. I am going to try it and see how it works.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Elka, have you found out how it works yet? It looks foreboding lol.

6. Elka

Elka Active Member

Activated a free 3 day trial today. So far I like it. Will be watching Skate Canada today. They seem to have a big archive and you can start to watch from the beginning, when it is still on TV. So no need to wait when it is archived. 20 channels. 3 months for 30USD.

ETA: 38 channels.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  7. Braulio

Thanks for the tvteka link Elka

I have also tried the 3 day free trial and the quality is excelent, very stable and with the instant ´on demand´ or the option of watching it live

Also it has Archive section for tons of sports (including figure skating dating back to 2009)

The only issue is that you have to know some cyrilic-russian in order to register and move around the website, otherwise you will have some problems getting it work

8. gosia.douceur

gosia.douceur New Member

Thanks for all the information about tvteka! I guess I'll go for it.
    My question is - can I pay them via PayPal?

On a good note, I have my first Russian class tomorrow (about time, it turns out - lol), which might be helpful for getting this software to work ;)

9. Braulio

I think you can only pay with credit card, thus far I have not seen paypal option

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Would you guys recommend TVTeka over WebTV and RuTelevision for watching GP and Russian Nats then?

11. Braulio

Ziggy, yesterday I bought the tvteka service and after watching the 3 day trial and making some test I can recomend it not only because it is cheaper but because the option of not needing to wait for the archived stream or even having to look for in another section, there is a kind of ´timeline´where you can go backward on the broadcast as it is happening. Very few pauses or buffering (I only had one in like 2 hours of watching)

On a plus, TVteka has Eurosport, Webtv does not

12. Elka

Elka Active Member

I would also recommend TVteka. The only negative thing I have noticed have been a delay of 30 minutes one day. I switched over to WebTV that day because did not want to watch delayed. (I have both.)

They say that it only should be from 5 sec. to 1 min. depending on the geographical location, but it was more. I liked TVteka so much I paid for it even when I had paid for webtv.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  13. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

Thanks Braulio and Elka for all the information for us viewers outside the US :cheer:

Would you help me navigate the TVteka page? :confused: Im completely clueless about russian and some of the tecnical aspects... What is the recommended internet speed to view the channels?

14. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I would suggest that you use google translate to translate the page. That should solve half your problems. Like all the other sites, you need to register by giving your email etc, to register to TvTeka. You will have to confirm the message from Tvteka that is send to your email, this will be again in russian, so use google translator.

After registering you will only have access to Russia 24 channel only (one channel of no importance. ), if you click of other channel, you will be taken to a page with three options. Copy the material again to google translator and see what it says. If my memory serves me right, first option says that you only have access to Russia 24 channel with free account, second one is trial period one for 3 days, remember you don't get instantaneous access to it after registering for 3 day trial period one, and they can take up to 24 hours to give you access, so register for it quickly if you want to watch SKare America. Third option is the premium one. If you decide for third option you have option for one month [12 dollars], 3 months (30dollars). Or six months option (it has lots more free stuff attached to it, so I don't remember ). I personally took 3 months options.

Google translator is great help, and I would suggest that you copy the material from each page google translator rather than open the page with google translator.

I can also add that the service is very reliable and you get access all the other sports channel which may be of interest to you. Personally I am enjoying their coverage of 2010 world Volleyball championships. Now I wish i could speak and understand Russian :(

15. Citlali

Thanks Domshabfan :cheer: I doing it just like you say, I´ll try the one month option.

16. Braulio

Domshabfan beat me to explain, but the explanation speaks for itself very clear!

I don´t speak russian also, but after becoming a figure skating fan and research for the options to watch it on internet at least I have learned cyrilic and some basic words, but yes google translator is the key to get through the registration

About your internet speed you can watch their 3 free day trial period, just submit on the top of the page and you will have to wait like 1 hour or even less time to be approved and there you go, that way you can see if your internet band speed is enough

Thus far for me it works wonderful and its cheaper and have tons of archived material, so for me its better option than Webtv

17. Citlali

Yes, thanks Braulio, I took Domshabfan advice and Im currently watching a CoC rerun perfectly with the 3 day trial, Ill be upgrading to the month after it, to watch the GP final, this is really a great option for viewers outside the US, is a good deal, and the page works great (even with my google translated russian I didnt have any problems)

18. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Domshabfan!

:cheer2:

19. Bue

Bue Active Member

Thanks for the TVTeka suggestion. I'm on the site now and it looks good. And I now know the Russian word for 'sport'!

One question though - I can see the streams for all the retrospective competitions but I can't see any sign of upcoming ones. No mention of when Skate America will be on. Can anyone help?

20. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Skate America is being shown live on NTV-Plus Sport (НТВ-ПЛЮС Спорт). There is a full schedule given in the K&C forums, but the times are the same as the competition times, just translate to your timezone.

Figure skating = ФИГУРНОЕ КАТАНИЕ
    Schedule: http://www.ntvplus.ru/sport/article.xl?id=45961

The times are also listed in my online schedule. ;)

21. Bue

Bue Active Member

Thank you so much, HisWeirness!

22. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had problems trying to watch the program recorded form last night? My sound is severeal minutes behind the picture so its unwatchable :(

23. Braulio

C_T_T what program are you using? sorry for not being around before

24. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

No need to apologise Braulio! Don't worry, seemed to just be the one program. I found a repeat o fthe Pairs which was fine and saw som eof the men on Youtube. Last nights is fine. Never mind!

25. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I have another problem: I ordered a pincode a week ago, I paid via PayPal but I never received a code :mad:
    Just wrote them a message I want either a code or my money back.
    Does/did anyone else have the same problem?

26. Braulio

Moka-Ananas

Have you check your email? it is known that many times if yous mail-spam protection settings are high, then the email with the pincode from webtv is directed to the spam folder

Please check your email you used to register with Webtv, or then try to log in the webtv page and suggest to resend your pincode. But please check your email you used for registration with webtv. Hope it helps.

One final advice could be to log in the webtv service and have an online chat with their costumer service, they are very kind and helpful and always have a person on line.

27. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Yeah I checked everything. No pincode.
    That's the first time something like this happened to me, I mean I ordered many many many pincodes over the last couple of years.

28. Braulio

That´s strange

Have you tried requesting for a re-sent code?

otherwise I advice you to log in webtv program and go online chat for support

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't like the fact that window is not separate and I can't size it exactly to my needs but other than that TV Teka works very very well and I am really happy with it. :)

30. Braulio

Dont know if others had too, but I received an e-mail from tvteka support service and they said that given some technical problems from their part, they are taking care of it and have give me 3 free days once my paid suscription expires!

Thus far so good tvteka, thanks for pointing us to them!