Russian Split Jump

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by AndyWarhol, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get your legs UP on a russian split jump? Mine looks like an awkward forward facing normal split jump. wah!

2. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

I have always had kids practice them off ice.

Standing still jump straight up and split legs out sideways. Then obviously land on two feet again. The point here is that a russian split is more about how fast you can fling your legs up and down again rather than flexibility. The confusion often is that it is a similar position to doing splits on the ground, when actually it is more close to trying to touch your toes with your legs spread out straight while sitting on the ground. Being able to do the splits on the other hand won't hurt at all :p

Once you can do it off-ice the on-ice should come easier... If you are still having trouble getting the feeling of leaning forward to touch your toes on the ice, try holding guards in your hands and touching your toes with them during the jump, then build up to your hands.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  3. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Thanks! Ill try that.
    I have been practising them in the pool the past few days, and they are getting better off ice, so hopefully it will all come together soon :)