Russian Senior Men for GP series TBA spots

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 29, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Who are the potential guys for the TBA spots besides Borodulin of course? Have Menshov and/or Leushin retired? Most of the other top guys are doing JGP or no? Are Uspenski boys coming back or no? What's Lutai up to? Still having legal troubles? Who else have I forgotten? It seems there were so many men a few years back and now the field is almost all juniors! Hmm....

2. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Bariev and Grigoriev are 19 and 18 y.o. now, so they can't go to the JGP anymore. And both are back after injuries. I think one of them may get this spot, depends on their results earlier in the season.
    Menshov is still skating, no idea about others

3. shah

shah Shhh...

there are also Dobrin (iirc he didn't retire) and Dimitriev Jr (or does he stay in juniors?)...

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Eislauffan posted an update in late May on Dobrin and the Uspenski brothers in the Russian news thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2774609&postcount=203

Artem Grigoriev turned 18 in February so he has one more season of ISU junior age-eligibility if he wants it.

Here are the Russian men with season best scores up to #75 and their ISU ages for the 2010-11 season:
    50 177.78 Artur DMITRIEV RUS (age 17) - JGP
    51 177.69 Stanislav KOVALEV RUS (age 18) - JGP
    53 176.64 Zhan BUSH RUS (age 17) - JGP
    58 174.60 Gordei GORSHKOV RUS (age 17) - JGP
    62 168.16 Mark SHAKHMATOV RUS (age 18) - JGP
    64 167.79 Andrei LUTAI RUS (age 23 - to represent BUL?)
    66 164.30 Ivan TRETIAKOV RUS (age 21)
    67 163.94 Alexander NIKOLAEV RUS (age 19)

5. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

One spot should go immediately to Borodulin.

The other should be rewared as usual to the guy that does best at early Senior B competitions. I really hope Konstantin Menshov finally gets to compete at the GP after so many years bubling under.. He's like the DelSchoes of russian nationals.

If not him, than any of Leushin, Tretiakov, Grigoriev or Bariev.

Lutai was interviewed not long ago stating that he's thinking about switching to BUL.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Lutai's ban expires November 15 and the cup of Russia starts November 19th! What is the final date for a skater to be entered? I do not think it would be Lutai. Borodulin will be added obviously. I agree that third skater will be one who does best at a competition like the Nebelhorn trophy.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Borodulin will probably get another spot somewhere else anyway...based on that, I'd rather see the spots go to someone who isn't right at the top of the alternate list...

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I would really like Menshov to finally get a shot at a GP event after all those years.

Poor guy, he'd be the regular team member in most ISU member countries.

9. caseyedwards

Maybe Menshov will get the Finlandia trophy again or go to Nebelhorn. Last year at Finlandia I see he came in 5th place but was third in the free skate. Same thing happened at Russian nationals where he was third in the free skate but placed 4th overall.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I will never forget Menshov being something like around 30th (?) after the SP but then winning the FS at Universiade. :D

11. caseyedwards

12. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Yes, in addition to a formidable mullet, Menshov will always be the answer to that piece of trivia. ;)

Imagine if he had been cut after the short! :drama:

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That costume is so bad, it's just unreal. Stripper outfit. :D

14. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

That is so not a mullet.

15. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

I was there at the competition and I still remember how shocked I was when seeing that, because it was only the first or 2nd group of men :D

16. caseyedwards

He did win the Free Skate portion. It's on the ISU website. In fact all the medalists went super conservative on jumps and no one came near him!

17. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

yup I've just edited my post before you posted ;) all skaters at the competition had jumping problems and everyone's tech levels, GOEs and PCS were very low (though I had no problem with that...) I enjoyed the sychronized skating girls who were there to root for their skaters more than the competition itself.

18. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Wait, does his costume say "BOOOO" across it?

19. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

20. caseyedwards

That sounds interesting.

Thanks for the link. It was an impressive performance. There were mistakes and it was not like very complex from an artistic standpoint as lots would say but to skate like that after being in 25th place! Impressive!

21. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Bariev is a great choice, but he suffers from chronic injury problems. so i think he may not be much of an option.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Fantastic performance. His 4toe is great. Shame he seems unable to do the 4toe/3toe combo.

Should go for the 4toe off steps in his SP to maximise points (provided he can do another 3/3 combination).