Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, May 30, 2011.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

How unexpected ;)

3. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I love the :drama: of that picture of him sitting all alone, contemplating...

5. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

PML. Another :drama: episode for Plush. Timing couldn't be better. We have the entire off season to :argue: and :lynch: about it.

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

As I see it, personal feelings aside, he broke the rules and paid for it. How long should he be punished? Is the punishment really proportinate to what he did?

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Do I see a single tear rolling down his cheek?

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You don't say! Shocking.

:p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

is there a puking icon? LOL

I post the ones that I know go with this article :rolleyes::plush::drama:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. chloee

chloee New Member

I thought this was old news already since Worlds, didn't Speedy said that ISU would accept to discuss the RF application for reinstatement?

11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

June 9th! The video of Cinquanta sitting with Putin pointing to Plushenko and giving up a thumbs up at worlds was great.

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I know, it's unintentionally :lol:

And in other not so shocking news......the sky is blue. :)

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Maybe this is the Rapture - just a little bit late. Afterall isn't the possibility of Plushy competing again a punishment for us all?

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Actually, I think his losing of his eligibility was kind of bogus.

The way I understand it, he did a show that normally would be sanctioned and apparently he was even told it was or would be sanctioned at first but then was told close to the show that, no, because he didn't go to Worlds, it wouldn't be sanctioned. Then he had to decide whether to pull out at the last minute or risk losing his eligibility. Pulling out at the last minute when he'd been advertised to sell tickets would have been hard on the show organizers so he was kind of between a rock and a hard place with this one.

I can't help feeling that other skaters would have been given the sanction and that colors my feelings about how it all went down.

15. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Breaking the rules results in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. It's not a temporary ban, it is forever and at this stage in the game, I think most/all skaters know it. If Joannie Rochette had the know how to ask for permission to perform a tribute to her mother on an ice show in 2010, then I don't think it's a stretch to expect Plushenko to do the same.

Why didn't he appeal the decision when it was made? He had 21 days to appeal and apparently didn't have a problem with it then. Strange.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It was just a tactical thing of not bringing the ISU to the Court of Arbitration.

17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:lol: He wasn't punished. He just had more time to make money with no pressure. The reality is that Plushy probably sees no value in performing at another Skate Canada or Skate American or Trophy Whatever the French Call It This Decade, etc. but it would do him some good to skate at Cup of Russian, Worlds, and in Sochi ... particularly since the Russian Federation is trying so hard to reabsorb talent by any means $$$ (the sign for Rubles would have been more fitting) possible.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

19. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

He'd already been sued by show organisers when the ISU did the same thing to him a couple of years ago - they told him at the last minute that if he skated he'd lose his eligibility, so he pulled out, went on ice to explain himself and got booed. The organisers sued him and it took ages to sort out.

I can't believe this stupid misinformation is still getting around. :wall:

The ISU has the power to impose a temporary loss of eligibility on a skater for breaking a rule. This is what they did to Plushenko. HIS LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY WAS NEVER PERMANENT. THE ISU DID NOT BAN HIM FOR LIFE.

I mean think about it - it would ridiculously unjust if they banned him for life, which is way longer than a drugs ban.

Plushenko DID ask for permission. The RFSF told him they would give it. Then three days out from the show everyone said no. What was he supposed to do? He chose to protect himself from lawsuits and heavy financial loss, make his fans happy and skate. Three days' notice is vastly unfair.

He did not appeal because the appeal would have had to have taken place in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). The CAS has power over every jurisdiction in the world. A decision made at the CAS is FINAL with NO appeal.

Now imagine if Plushenko had taken the ISU to the CAS and won. He would essentially have been forcing the ISU to accept him as a competitor for the season. I can't imagine the ISU would have taken that lying down. They have many ways to get revenge.

Plushenko decided not to antagonise the ISU further than they already were, and decided not to appeal. This was an intelligent decision as it allowed the ISU to think they were punishing him, but left him able to still compete at Sochi.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

For the rule he broke, it is not a temporary ban if the skater never asks for reinstatement or asks and is denied reinstatement. It is a temporary ban until the ISU grants reinstatement, if the skater applies for it.

The possibility for reinstatement for Plushenko's infraction is written into the rule itself. He's asking for nothing more than what is written into the rule.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  21. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I personally can't wait for him to come back, even if he never medals again (though I doubt that will happen.) The man loves skating, he loves competing, and he is great at what he does. Whether you like his style or not, you've got to admire his drive.

22. millipied

millipied New Member

The men skating got exciting. At least someone who can seriously fight with Chan. I loved his new programs posted earlier here. He seems to be in very good shape. So bring it.

23. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Hurry up, ISU!!!!!!:soapbox::angryfire :mad:

24. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Well, what is there to work for when you have a platinum Olympic medal :rofl:

Not even Rodnina, somebody that actually won 3 Olympics, has one of those :lol:

Last edited: May 31, 2011
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

A diamond Olympic medal?????:rofl: Eat your heart out, Irina Rodnina!!!!

26. Daria

Daria New Member

27. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Nope :p

28. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

I second the motion! He's certainly not technically inferior to Chan and is also more consistent whereas it seems to me that Chan has lots of ups and downs as far as falling etc. Age is against him but....what can it possiblly take for Plushenko to throw in the required transitions and difficult entrance/exits to jumps where he is already king??

29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree that breaking the rules result in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. However, there have been skaters in the past who retired and did shows, lost eligibility and then decided to go back to competitive skating and got their eligibility reinstated. So if it was possible for them, why it is not for him?

Why he didn't appeal the decision when it was made - what would be the grounds for the appeal? By appealing he would be actually saying that he is being punished unfairly, whereas I think he knows he is being punished fairly, so in my view he took the punishment, hoping that he will be later to reinstate the eligibility as some others have done in the past.

30. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I remember watching Rudolph Nureyev dance over the years. He refused to quit when he was on top, and he just kept taking the stage long after his physical facility had left him.

No doubt Plushy is in good shape right now, but I do hope, for his sake as a great skater, that he will recognize when it is time to retire. If he's going to try to make it to Sochi-and maybe he can-good for him. But there's nothing sadder than watching a once-great talent implode in public.

Here's hoping it won't happen to him. But if he keeps trying to extend his career on and on and on, it will happen eventually.

Not being negative. Just realistic.