Russia Ladies Euros Poll

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Oct 24, 2011.

Who will make the Euros team?

1. Alena Leonova

86.8%
  2. Ksenia Makarova

40.7%
  3. Sofia Biryukova

17.6%
  4. Polina Agafonova

20.9%
  5. Anna Ovcharova

5.5%
  6. Polina Shelepen

82.4%
  7. Polina Korobeinikova

33.0%
  8. Rosa Sheveleva

1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Who will gain the 3 spots to Euros?

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ksenia skated pretty badly at SA meanwhile Shelepen has been very consistent thus far, Korobeynikova seems to be getting her feet under her now too.

I say Leonova, Shelepen, and Korobeynikova for Euros....though wouldn't be at all surprised if this trio comprised places 4-6 at Russian Nationals...:shuffle:

3. millipied

millipied New Member

Shelepen is 100% in. Next closest possiblity is Leonova. The third spot is a real wild card. If Makarova stand 80% on her feet, she will get in. If she bombs badly, it's probabaly between Biryukova and Korobeynikova.

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Who I want: Leonova, Biryukova and Korobeynikova.

Who I think will be on the team: Leonova, Makarova and Shelepen.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I feel like Biryukova will always get lost in the shuffle. :(

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Leonova, Shelepen, Agafonova

Makarova is milk toast, sorry. She had her year (2009/10).

7. pinky166

I fear that too, along with Ovcharova and Agafonova. Their inconsistent jumps seem to always due them in even though they are 3 of the most expressive skaters in Russia right now.

Any news on Sheveleva and when she plans to return to competition?

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Leonova, Shelepen, Korobeynikova.

9. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

It's not Ova until it's Ova.

10. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Stupid question: these ladies are all eligible for Worlds as well, right?

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'd say Shelepen is practically in if she can skate well at Nationals. She's proven herself reliable and can land at least 6 triples (but usually 7) and has 2 different 3+3 combos. And given that it's Euros, that means at least a medal ;)

Leonova has more than proven herself for Russia.

The third spot is up for grabs. I say Sheveleva if she's healthy and can replicate her LP from last year's nationals, along with a clean SP. Lurve Korobeynikova and Ovcharova, but they're way too inconsistent. I think that Makarova is toast.

12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Euros and worlds have the same age eligibility. If any of them did badly at Euros no guarantee of worlds.

13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I think Leonova and Shelepen' will be sent unless they bomb very badly.
    The third spot is wide open- seeing Makarova's performance at SA I voted for Korobeinikova, but I think it truly wil be decided that day- depending on nerves, injuries etc.
    Personally, I just hope that Alena goes. She proved that she is a fighther more often than not in important situations.

14. Athena

Athena New Member

Polina must be a lucky name for skater!

15. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Makarova's LP is a hot mess. I can't imagine that program ever scoring very well. It is such a shame because she is an engaging skater. I would be shocked to see her at Worlds but I guess she has plenty of time to rework things.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

May be Makarova will replace her LP, after getting negative feedback on it. The season is still young.

17. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I want the ones you want.

I think that Leonova, Korobeynikova (did a mistake voting) and Shelepen will make the team.

19. haribobo

Not really because that poll didn't pit Leonova and Makarova against the others and totally left out Polina K. I wouldn't asssume that Leonova and Makarova are sure bets at all.

20. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

Polina K has made huge progress in the last year or two. From no 3F and a very unreliable 3R (which she used to telegraph a whole lot on), she now has a beautiful 3F-3T and steady 3R that she can rely on. Plus a gorgeous 2A-3T. She has really good jumping technique and skating skills, and "it" factor, too. She could do really well at Euros. If she could get a reliable 3Z, she could compete with the best from Russia (and in the world).

21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I agree, but I'm sad because I love Biryukova and Korobeynikova.

IMO, it'd be really nice to take a leaf out of the old time books and send 2 different (or even slightly different) teams to Worlds and Euros.

Also, maybe I'm the only one who thought this way, but isn't Shelepen more likely to be competing against Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva/Lipnitskaya for the 3rd Jr. Worlds spot than she is to be competing for a Euros spot? She could actually medal this year.

22. haribobo

Shelepen has already been to 2 Jr. Worlds, she might be tired of it by now. Sot, Tuk, and Lip can't go to seniors, so they have to go to Jr. Worlds if they want the WR points. I think since Shelepen is age-eligible and good enough, she will probably be named to the Euros team if she finishes high enough.

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I still think Makarova will pull it together for Russian nationals so I voted for her instead of Koro or Biryikova

24. pinky166

My guess is that if she doesn't make the Euro or World teams then yes, she will try to make the Jr. World team, but I doubt that JW is her top priority as she is age eligible for senior championships and the competition for making the senior team will likely be easier. I think she would have opted to do the senior GP this season were it not for the spots being reduced, her not having great results last season, and both Alena and Ksenia having quite good results last season, making it tougher for her to be sure of getting 2 assignments, so she opted for JGP knowing she would get 2 assignments, good ranking points, and likely a ticket to the final (which is how it worked out) and then can still be in contention for the Euro and Worlds teams by competing as a senior at nationals. Also keep in mind, in Russia JW spots are determined my placement at Junior Nationals, it's a different competition from senior nationals and many skaters participate in both. I assume Polina will do that this season unless of course she is named to the Euro and World teams after senior nationals in December.

25. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

She'll be a fool if she tries to go against them for a Jr. World's spot, no way in hell she gets one. :p

Senior Worlds and Euros is her best bet.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

But really, what are the odds of 3 girls going to Euros and either 1, 2 or 3 of those girls not going to Worlds? Like, if Biryukova and Korobeynikova get Euros along with, say, Leonova and Leonova, Makarova and Shelepen go to Worlds (or however it pans out)?

It just sucks that, when you look at the number of opportunities Shelepen and Agafonova (among others) have gotten and the number Biryukova has gotten, Sofia definitely got the short end of the stick for seemingly no good reason (bad timing?).

27. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i want these three, too. but i fear, that biryukova will not be able to make the team, or the russian fed don´t want her to make the team.

i really like her skating, but with so few international appearances, it´s hard to show, what she got, unless she is able to step on the podium at her grand prix :/

28. Eris

Eris New Member

It's she who gave it away several times in a row, not the federation. I really like Sofia but she is extremely inconsistent in her free skates. :(

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I know this wasn't in response to me, but it's a mix of Russia and Sofia. Why did she only get one JGP and only one year on the JGP, especially considering how old she was when she started there (and the fact that she medaled)? To me, that's a major ball the federation dropped.

30. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

She medaled on the last JGP that year (as far as I remember in Turkey) so she couldn't get the second assigment even theoretically. And she got that only JGP spot immediately after she won (or medaled, I don't remember) at Moscow Cup a couple of weeks prior. And that was her first major success on a national level, before that she hadn't shown anything special to give JGP spot for. She spent the only year on a junior curcuit because next year Federation wanted her to debut in senior competitions (there was no one to fill in the third spot at Cup of Russia). So, no, Sofia should blame herself only.