Rumor: Sui / Han injured

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jjane45, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Chinese forums are reporting that Wenjing Sui is recently injured, off the ice for at least several months... Does anyone have more details?
  2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

yeah I read some translations from baidu site, I will translate more...
    I dont know yet maybe growth spurt related ? :confused:
  3. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:( Hopefully it is nothing serious, but if she must remain off the ice for several months, it doesn't sound too good. I was really looking forward to seeing their programs on the GP this season.
  4. love_skate2011

more news....

apparently yes they will be out for months ( 2-5 months out for recovery )

Sui got injured doing their practice of more difficult elements their main goal now is 2013 World Championships and 4CC, they might not participate in GP, poor girl, hope the growth spurt didnt cause much of this :(

will this cause red alert for China's 3 spots for Pairs in Sochi ?
    they have the aging P/T and the new team of Hao/Cheng, there is still Y/J from juniors though
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Hope she will feel better soon. Poor girl :( Thanks for information, love_skate2011.
  6. jlai

jlai Title-less

Not that I know what causes her injury, but I cannot help but think what all the quad practices did to her body.
  7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The injury is epiphyseal inflammation.

according to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1879826/

"The epiphyses and epiphyseal plates are vital structures in the bone development of the growing athlete. The epiphyseal plate is two to five times weaker than the surrounding fibrous tissue in children and adolescents. Two types of epiphyseal injury that are common in the growing athlete are (a) separation across the epiphyseal plate, which is usually produced by a direct blow to the joint area or by a strong muscular contraction, and (b) traumatic epiphysitis, the more common of the two, which is usually caused by strong, repetitive contraction of a muscle attached to a traction epiphysis.

Each epiphyseal site has specific anatomic features and the forces causing injury differ slightly at each site. An improperly treated separation of an intra-articular pressure epiphysis can have a disastrous effect on the proper functioning of the normally well-fitted articulation of bone ends in the joint. Consequently, proper diagnosis and treatment are essential.

Traumatic epiphysitis can result in chronic inflammation or fragmentation, or both, if the condition is not arrested. Therefore the athlete must discontinue the activities that are causing the trauma until the inflammation is completely arrested. Absolute rest may even be required."
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Did she have a big growth spurt? I was looking forward to their programs but she is so young, health is the first priority at this moment. I hope she is better real soon. Maybe by 4CC or Worlds they will back on track.
  9. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

What exactly is the source of this?
  10. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Epiphyseal inflammation If you google for it, there's an article about young athletes Seems that repetition of stress on the area which is weaker than most of the bone can cause the inflammation. So jumping and landing throws could cause it.

The area is also called the "growth plate" - an area of new bone growth which is not as solid as the bone it will become.

The important bit is at the end:

Therefore the athlete must discontinue the activities that are causing the trauma until the inflammation is completely arrested. Absolute rest may even be required.
  11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

They werent a lock to keep 3 spots regardless. Of their top 4 teams, whichever end up going to Worlds, out of the 3 you mentioned plus Sui & Han of course, none are likely to be on the podium (maybe a very outside shot at the bronze for 1 or 2 of them) and none are certain to be top 5.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well, given their coach focuses almost exclusively on the jumps, epiphyseal inflammation could be an effect of that. :/

Who will replace them on the GP?
  13. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

They were assigned to COC and NHK. I wonder if the CHN federation will pick any of their lesser senior teams, or will they decide to promote Yu/Jin to the Senior Grand Prix.

As for NHK, Im betting again on Gerboldt/Enbert or Hausch/Wende, it can't be an USA team sincer there are already three of them entered. All the comeback/split top 10 couples alreagy got 2 events.
  14. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Sorry to hear about this news. I just hope she can recover soon. Health is the most important thing.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Given their 'saving face' approach, they probably won't. And Yu/Jin are better off doing two JGP events and JGP final, aren't they?

So it'll be Gerboldt/Enbert and Hausch/Wende maybe for the two spots?
  16. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

They could send Wenting Wang/Yan Zhang who were 4th at nationals scoring 147.10. They competed late last spring so should still be together and should be 15/24 so age eligible.
  17. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Aww... hope Sui heals well and fast. Must be a big disappointment for China since Sui and Han are potential successors.
  18. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I hope Sui recovers well, but my main concern is that the Chinese fed might try to rush her recovery and put her back on the ice too soon, hoping that isn't the case.
  19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

So true! Wishing her a full recovery. She should take the time she needs to fully recover. I hope she isn't pressed by the Chinese federation to return too soon.
  20. love_skate2011

which will be very likely
    with 2013 Worlds being so crucial for Chinese pairs and retain 3 spots
  21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And it's the kind of injury that happened in the first place because of over-training...
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Bumping up this thread one month later... This was posted about Sui/Han on September 19 in another thread:
    Does anyone know of/can find a (Chinese) article link that confirms Sui's injury and their withdrawal from both Cup of China and NHK Trophy? They're still listed as of today for both GPs on the ISU site as of 9/20.
  23. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I know it doesnt have to do with this thread, but does anyone know why He Zhang isn't competing in the JGP? I enjoyed him a lot last year
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

It was noted in the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry that He ZHANG originally was listed, and then withdrawn, from both the 1st and 3rd JGP events, so the assumption is that he must be injured. Both he and Han YAN reportedly spent some time training in Lake Arrowhead, California earlier this summer.
  25. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Haven't seen anything yet. Maybe they are hoping for a super fast recovery? I surely hope SUI gets to recover COMPLETELY before she gets back on ice.

He ZHANG is or was injured. There is one report that he has resumed training...
  26. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

thanx for the answer and sorry for the topic drifting
  27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm guessing since there was never a link from a credible news source it may just have been a 'chatter' from a message board? I remember when other Chinese skaters were injured we got some news about it, like Zhang and Zhang. Especially if it were as serious as some made it out to be.

The fact that they haven't been removed from the Cup of China is suspect that they may still be practicing/competing.