Rules to help skating's popularity?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by gkelly, Mar 18, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Thank you for making this point. The definitions may need revised, renamed, or simplified. Lots of people have ideas about how to make it more meaningful.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

WOW! Gkelly, you have 7 posts on one page! In the past I got dinged for having 5 on one page. I am not complaining though. There is freedom of speech/posting, AFAIK.

Returning to the topic, I basically agree with those who said that the judging system needs to be fixed, in various ways, and several suggestions have been made. I wish the ISU would take this issue more seriously than it has.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If you want to drive away people from skating, having longer programs is the way to do it.

4. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

ITA, I think the frees are too long as it is, in terms of viewership it's a pain, the lower ranked skaters just repeat the same choreo twice.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to imply that the gp I was talking about was the only one. It is just the one that has stuck in my mind.

6. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Can you prove it? (Also I wonder who will actually be driven away --- skaters? audience? judges?)

The men's free skate was longer (5 minutes) at least in the 1980s. Did that drive people away?

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm an avid fan but freeskates, even of the top 5 skaters often bore me because they go on forever.

8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

ITA, I almost wish they would do away with the short and have more competitons.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't know if it's a problem with length or content, but especially in Ladiezzz all the programs go on FOREVER. But again, I'm not sure it's really that they're too long or that in generally, they all look alike and unlike Men's tend to sound alike. At least once in a while in men's long you get someone who picks a jazzy or bombastic piece of music; ladies also tends to SOUND the same after a while.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Some proposals put forth by George Rossano: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_2013Worlds/2013 Worlds Ten Petition.htm
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  11. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

His proposals are put forth under the title of that petition to award a gold medal to Ten :rofl:

I´m curious about something. Is Ice Skating International actually international? Looking at some of the articles and there seems to be a heavy American bias to them.

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

13. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Re the thread in the Trash Can -

One thing they definitely should NOT be doing is taking down videos on YouTube. It's a great way to introduce new people to the sport and for fans to watch performances they cant see on TV. Making posters take them down just seems sooooooo STUPID!!!