Ru Paul's Drag Race Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by olympic, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

The real disappointment on Snatch Game was Latrice. I didn't get Aretha from that performance at all - it was more like a glammed-up rehash of Stacy's performance last season. Fortunately Chad and Sharon really brought it and kept that challenge from being a complete debacle. What is it with these queens who say they do an awesome Pink/Gaga/Whoever and then completely tank on Snatch Game? Is it that they normally just lipsync to said popstar and mimic a few gestures and nothing else?

ETA I ask because the only drag acts I've seen live were Charles Pierce and a guy who did the most incredible Patsy Cline - did his own singing (so spot-on it was almost eerie) and patter in between songs.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^I think that while Lady Gaga is a huge icon for the 20 somethings, she is not noted for her one-liners or in-your-face behavior (fashion - yes; behavior - no)

3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I'm not sure about that. He had gotten emotional in the lounge & that stage speech seemed to be an extension of that.

I agree with Nomad about Latrice's Aretha. It was pretty bad (she is overweight but I've never seen her eat in public) but at least she wasn't acting ridiculous like Jiggy, Phi Phi, & Kenya. Jiggly did not deserve to be declared safe so early.

My favs were Chad of course, Sharon, & Willum....I disagree Willum was too low-key. Jessica Simpson is not in-your-face & I thought Willum played her just fine. Dida was just ok & Jiggly started out pretty good until she started the shenanigans. Latrice, Phi Phi, Kenya, & Milan were beyond awful....the look & the performance was not their characters in any way.

4. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I expected Latrice to just kill it with Aretha and she was really rather bland. She's a very good actress, so I'm not sure what really went down there.

I'm so over Phi Phi. Sharon was kind of a brat in the previous episode, but I'm so over Phi Phi talking about how Sharon and others aren't on her level and how she should ahve been in the top 3. She's really been middle of the pack to lower on basically every individual challenge and in the group challenges, she still never shone as bright as she seems to think she did.

I think Dida is kind of busted, but I really like her personality. I think that with this experience, she'll be amazing in about 2 or 3 years. She does, however, need to find a wig master stat. Those dry wigs are driving me insane.

Sharon and Chad are the class of the field to me right now. I think either Latrice or Willam will be in the final three with those two.

5. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

WTF? Are you kidding me? :lol:

6. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Some bonus scenes from Snatch Game, a :lol: showcase for Willam ... and it didn't even include the cardboard cut-out/"I'm going to Macy's" bit that we saw on Untucked.

I have to admit to also :lol: ing over Jiggly-as-Snooki's "pickle" answer.

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I agree, Willum's Britney was priceless!

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Haven't watched yet (other than seeing who sashayed away), can someone recap?

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Find yer own recap. :p

Let's see ... in a nutshell ...

The mini-challenge started with everyone being gifted with cartoonishly large breastplates. (Although they looked very small on Latrice.) The challenge was a wet T-shirt contest. Willam said she's got it in the bag ... and she did. :glamor: No contest.

The main challenge was "Gay Pride", and the queens had to decorate little boats, and match their outfits to it. [Odd challenge, I say.] Willam got to "assign" the 8 rainbow flag colors to the queens using hankies, but aside from giving herself blue, didn't play favorites ... just blindly handed out the hankies. (Milan ended up with yellow :shuffle:),

Phi Phi was FULL of hate throughout the episode. I really didn't have to report that, though, did I? :rofl:

Willam owned the episode. Lots of funny snark, lots of wink wink "I'm gonna win all this sh*t beotches" in the workroom, and some honest (or faux, what-eva) warm moments with Ru on how Ru's book inspired a younger Willam.

Runway: Top: Willam (winner, deservedly so!), Phi Phi (who would've cut herself or Willam on the runway, when Willam was announced as winner, if she could've), and Latrice or Chad (Michelle driving home her "she's too perfect" BS about Chad).

An aside: The edgic has turned in the past two/three weeks to being Phi Phi obsessing over Willam (versus Sharon) ... echoes of Raven/Tatiana. Whee, I'd like that as long as it means Phi Phi finishes a heartbreaking 4th place, ala Tatiana. :cheer:.

Bottom: Dida - last "safe", leaving Jiggly (truly a hot mess the entire episode ... :yikes:) and Milan (yawny, yet somehow grade school level, everything) to LSFYL to Gaga's Born This Way. Milan ripped her wig and entire top came off by the 10 second mark, certainly losing at that moment but giving Dida some :lol: wonderfully snarky/funny comments as the LSFYL continued. So, despite looking like a beachball from KMart, Jiggly was safe (though surely out next week?). Milan out.

The judges were Kelly Osbourne -- the most charming I'd EVER seen her (esp. when she visited the queens backstage) -- and some chick from NCIS -- who I cannot remember a thing about except for Sharon "needling" Willam pre-runway "so how many times did you work with her, Willam"? (The answer: "Just once.")

Untucked was notable for Kelly's appearance, where she was genuine and had everyone swooning ... and asked the queens who among them they'd "get with". Also notable for a "letter from a former contestant", which turned out to be Kenya. Conveniently, Kelly handed the letter to Phi Phi to read, since Phi Phi was Kenya's "sister," and of course Phi Phi fared well in the letter while the others had to hear petty criticisms from the creepy dim troll doll. I was surprised that some took offense (Willam took it humorously, but others were offended) to what this [eliminated] vacant queen had to say.

Notable, also, was the older/knowledgeable queens -- Sharon, Chad, Latrice, Willam -- teaching some younger ones the gay rights struggle, with Stonewall as the centerpiece. :respec: Jiggly, turns out, is a completely aloof dumbazz who has performed at that bar, but never even read the plaque outside ... nor bothered to notice that gay rights didn't begin with Ricky Martin's coming out "announcement".

Finally, the most :rolleyes: :lol: moment was Phi Phi, who seems to have some knowledge of said historical struggles, explaining how gays must be kind and respectful to each other. M-kay, :shuffle: you're doing a wonderful job ... keep on being the classy, supportive, giving queen we've grown to love loathe, Phi Phi.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

You must spread some rep around before giving it to Beefcake again.
    Thanks! I won't see it until this weekend. At least I've got fodder for the water cooler!

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Pauley Perrette!!! :cheer2: She's fab, and a big "friend of the family". LUV HUH!

NCIS: Why Mama & Papa Fergus don't answer the phone on Tuesdays between 8 and 9pm. :lol:

12. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Phi Phi was enjoying that letter too much. And why give that letter any air time? Kenya is gone so her critiques don't mean very much.

In this challenge Phi Phi did the best she's done so far but I hated the blue contacts. That just ruined her runway look for me. And she's so jealous of everyone else, esp those who win challenges. I couldn't believe she was talking about how they all have to support each other & not be bitchy to each other. She's the worst of the bitches because her bitchery isn't entertaining, it's just sad.

I didn't understand why the 4 queens left the gold lounge so they could trash everyone else. I've liked Latrice so far but I didn't like that side of her. I wasn't surprised at Phi Phi or Milan but I was surprised at Latrice & Dida.

The right person won both challenges AFAIC. Willum was close to perfect this week. The judges were right about Latrice's boots but other than that I liked her runway, Dida's shirt was bad but I liked her hair & makeup, & Milan & Jiggly boats & runway looks were awful. The were definitely the bottom 2 for me.

The people who trash Willum and/or Sharon just come off as pathetically jealous. If you don't like their shtick then up your game & beat them. Otherwise you just sound like a whiner.

13. luenatic

The answer is probably not something you want to know. Cover your eyes and ears, little boy! :lol:

14. olympic

I think I see the future of RuDR Season 4 -

I wager that -

Jiggly and Dida will be the next 2 gone

Phi Phi will survive to the top 5. But, if she improves like she did in this last episode, she may surpass someone like Latrice

The final 3 might be Willam, Chad, and Sharon Needles. I have no idea how that will come out.

15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Okay, Willam, I just started kind of liking you...but I'm so over hearing what shows you've been on :blah:

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

has he been on tv, i hadnt heard

THRILLED with tonight's elimination

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Me too!!! Actually, I would have been happy either way....

Not thrilled with the winner, not at all :blah:

18. olympic

Yep. The right gal was sent home. I would've had Latrice Royal in the bottom 2, though, not Willam because Willam was at least able to carry it on the runway. Latrice was kind of mediocre on both the runway and the main challenge.

Phi Phi :blah: I've never really cheered against any of these gals ... until this season. She needs to go down hard. What he did to Jiggly during the prep for the challenge was S-H-A-D-Y.

Dida is hanging on by the skin of her teeth. Michelle Visage is right - she needs big hair for the big shoulders. Why she isn't listening, I'll never know. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before she's gone.

I get the feeling that Ru is a little frustrated with a lot of the gals this season. His chats with them during the prep seem tense: He makes suggestions and they insist on doing something else.

19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

All I can say about Phi Phi: For once, her makeup didn't read "middle aged Boca Raton snowbird divorcee". :blah:

BEST line of the night was Sharon's to Willam: "You need to start using Duncan Hines!" :rofl:

20. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:yawn: Definitely one of the least interesting RDR episodes -- ever.

And Untucked followed suit with a borefest of a half-hour. Even the "busted" magazine photos were disappointing. Well, on the bright side, with the snaggle toothed beach ball's elimination, at least Untucked can now break free of its season-long sleepy :drama: miniseries "Jiggly Therapy".

:cold: I abhor Phi Phi, but I will give her props for winning the challenge, though it was a victory not from her own wonderfulness but rather because everyone else (save Sharon) failed badly.

:blah: Especially with the new momentum, I'm getting the feeling that Phi Phi is the only lock for F3. And that Michelle's burgeoning tirade against Chad's "too perfect" drag means that Chad is in real danger of going out 5th or 4th. :(

F3 of Phi Phi, Sharon, and Latrice upcoming? Hmm, hope not ... well, okay, as long as it's not Phi Phi winning anything is okay. But I want 1st. Sharon, 2nd. Chad, and 3rd. Willam.

Latrice wouldn't bother me, as she's the first good big girl, and because, along with Willam and Sharon, she is making the season pop with one-liner and excellent "candids." But her drag is getting more and more repetitive and one-note.

21. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Phi Phi is the only one I dislike but I have to admit that last week & this she was a very pretty girl. The brown eyes look much better on her than those fake blue ones. But if she wins I'll be looking for the vomit emoticon.

BTW, isn't her name misspelled? Phi Phi should be pronounced Fie Fie. :lol:

I definitely would have had Latrice or Dida in the bottom 2. I think Willum was there because she hasn't done anything about her 5 o'clock shadow (which actually I've never noticed until they pointed it out).

22. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

The reading portion was disgraceful. :drama: It was like an ad for Fisher-Price's "My First Drag Queen Reading Kit"!

( ^ Sharon actually did a better job with her one-liners during "Untucked".)

I'm having issues with Latrice's makeup. I'm surprised the judges haven't called her out for it's Crayola markers effect.

DiDa is charming onstage and seems like a decent person, but I must paraphrase Miss Vida Boheme in "To Wong Foo....": That's not a drag queen, its a boy in a dress.

From the neck down, Willam is one of the most kick-ass body queens ever. From the neck up, he's Gary Cooper's little brother in a tacky wig.

Au revoir, Jigs. But why in hell did you think going "serious" was gonna keep you around? :rolleyes:

23. luenatic

I actually saw Willam's 5 o'clock shadow before they even mentioned it. I thought that was obvious. Phi Phi may be shady, but she's in a reality TV game show trying to win $100K. I cannot blame her for playing the game!

24. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I can.

25. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

All-Stars is coming, baby! :glamor: Hopefully the cast will be Ultra Charismatic Unique Nervy & Talented.

Voting from the show's Facebook page will determine one queen (*I suppose she'd have to agree to it, too.) That voting had :sekret: a half dozen clear leaders, with everyone else very far back. Pandora Boxx :), Raven :), and Sharon Needles :) (!) leading, then Nina Flowers :), Manila Luzan :) ... whee, love all of those gals!! ... and IIRC Shannel and Shangela a bit back. Most of those are probably shoo-ins, along with JuJu, especially if winners are not going to be included.

Nina HAS to be in that cast. HAS to! Give her the Mondo-Project Runway rigged treatment, too, Ru. Less likely, but I'd love to see Tammie Brown somehow get casted. More likely, Mariah has shown a great dry sense of humor on Drag U, and All-Stars would give her a chance to show she has more in the tank than she showed during RDR3.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i want manila!

27. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I think Pandora will win the fan voting as she always wins anything where the public votes, even VIP of season 2 of Drag U where she was only in 2 episodes.

As long as Pandora, Manila, Shannell, and Nina come back, I'm good. I think Mariah should be given a shot. I'm so done with Shangela, but you know she's coming back for All Stars. I assume Alexis will be back and that's fine, but I could take or leave her. I will say that her part of the Absolut commercial is pretty charming and she looks great.

28. luenatic

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  29. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

He was quite foxy indeed. :grope: :lol:

Didn't quite dig the whole man-cleavage thing, though. :shuffle:

He kinda sorta almost maybe reminded me of Josh from the most recent season of "Project Runway".......but with less bronzer and arrogance. :D

30. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!