Ru Paul's Drag Race Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by olympic, Jan 4, 2012.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I wonder if the pool of talent gets smaller after every season, just because the best were picked in Season #1, next best in Season #2, etc. ... That is, if it's basically the same pool of talent
  2. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I didn't like Raja for the same reason I don't like William's personality, although William comes off as more arrogant, they both have the "I'm better than you" vibe. They both made it clear from the very start that they didn't see much competition & that they were a shoo-in to win. In Raja's case he was right but I think his connection to Ru was the deciding factor. Manila should have won IMO.

People are coming from as far away as Puerto Rico to compete so I don't think the pool is going to dry up anytime soon. Although I agree with you that this year the majority of them don't seem all that fierce yet.
  3. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Talent pool is huge and eager, methinks, but Drag Race is watching out for itself and its future in not stacking the deck with ALL obvious title contenders.

I think that "cannon fodder" is a MUST in shows that are casting "true" industry professionals with reputations to protect. Witness the current edition of Project Runway All-Stars. You just know that three or four WTF? cast members were put there (over better designers who might were just as eager to compete again) to safeguard the handful of designers with already successful careers. Eliminate the potential embarrassment of sending a Rami home in 10th place.

Drag Race might suffer in casting top queens for the season following one with, say, "all Rajas, Sharon Needleses, and Chad Michaelses" versus the season that had "some Rajas and Chad Michaelses with a few Mystiques and Alisas thrown in for variety and early boot purposes."

Phoenix, IMO, should've been given a one-time-only pass for bombing the Queens in Space challenge ... as she is far better a performer than her placement/the Alexis Mateo or anyone Carmen/6th or below.

Yeh, we can approximate placements for the first five or six weeks by outfits and how many times someone is shown. Quick shots of the runway and even LSFYLs also give us tangible information. I try not to look to closely, but I did notice my favorites were
    all over those previews. Yay.
  4. olympic

Watched last night.

LOL - This is a skating board, so please don't tell me that Phi Phi O'Hara didn't rip off Jill Trenary's amazing hair circa 1988 :rofl: I never ever thought of the draq queen possibilities from Jill Trenary!

Overall, I thought the comp was meh (I hope this isn't a pattern for the season!) -

The Princess didn't deserve to go home. I would've had Madame LaQueer in the bottom 2. THAT outfit was atrocious and should've been burned!
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ita, i cant believe madame laqueer is still there. i dont think she is all that and i dont see her getting much better.
  6. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:lol: Sharon Needles is all kinds of awesome, and needs to win every challenge ... if only to see how long it would take for Phi Phi's head to explode. That girl is a sour, bitchy apple who seems rotten on the inside. Love to hate her! ;) Hope PP stays to F5 or so and shangelas the hell out of the workroom, the runway, and the illusions lounge.

Chad Michaels = still flawless and sweet. :swoon:

Still just do not get Kenya Michaels and the adoration (well, mostly from Michelle) therein. I'm a little less squeebed out by her womanly appearance out of drag, but "in" drag I've yet to see the allure. Also ... Sorry to get all Arizona here, but being able to show wit and fabulousness IN ENGLISH has to be a requirement. Jibber jabber in Spanish has been an easy points getter since Season 2 ... I'm tired of it. Kenya barely speaks three sentences each episode. :blah:

Fer chrissakes, did you all see Untucked? "The Michael Costello Award for Worst Acting Performance goes to Jiggly Caliente". :scream: And if that tearless crying jag was NOT acting, well, then Jiggly needs to grow up. Sorry, but I'm :blah: of reality contestants coming onto shows (JuJu Bee, Josh from Project Runway, countless others), and then bellowing episode after episode about parents who died 3, 4, 5, or more years ago. Jiggly's was merely the worst of the lot. Ugh.

:rofl: Willam's treatment of Milan, trying to cast shade but falling far short, in Untucked was pretty good. "Is the carpet comfortable?" Willam has been a bore on the runway (frankly, disappointing), but I love the dry wit and the snobbish personae she has decided to stick with for this show.
  7. my little pony

i dont get kenya either. if on desperate housewives they sent gabbie's kids to a fat farm, they could cast kenya.

yara did her act way better
  8. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:respec: to the All-time Queen of Drag Race [screw Ru for that decision :p] Miss Nina Flowers :swoon:, had very few intentional "Spanish/jibberish" moments, but many fun unintentional such moments.

The overuse (/ get out of language free card) started with that manfaced Jessica Wild, in S2.
  9. PairSk8r

PairSk8r New Member

To me, Willam is reminiscent (EEEERILY) of NICOLE BROWN SIMPSON.
  10. my little pony

zomg yes
  11. PairSk8r

PairSk8r New Member

Madame LaQueer reminds me a great deal of DIVINE in regard to styling, hair, make-up and comedy.

However, look at him OOD (out-of-drag).... he is not much different than when in costume...overweight, out-of-shape, large manboobs, waddling walk and fat-girl attitude.

To me, Madame LaQueer is a gay man who could not cut it as a man, so he put on a dress. This makes him a WEAK queen, not fierce!

Fat, funny and reliant on make-up and wigs does not a drag-superstar make.

Same critique for Jiggly Caliente, only she couldn't cut it as a man with street cred, so she put on a dress also.

Both should go home back to lipsync in their neighborhood bars.
  12. taf2002

I love Sharon Needles & Chad Michaels...for me everyone else falls short. They are both great on the runway & great personalities in the challenges. And although she's not my idea of beauty I also really like Latrice.

I thought Dida was fabulous in the LSFYL but she shouldn't have been in the bottom 2. Her perfomance on the infomercial was a little bland but she was far from the worst. For me that would be Jiggly & LaQueer although I'm not upset about the Princess because she isn't good either.

I'm a little disappointed in William. I thought she would be more fabulous but she's falling a little flat. Loved the carpet comment though.

Is Milan the one who got down on the carpet...ie getting down to your level? I can't wait till she's gone...what a bitch! I hate her bucktoothed look. And Phi Phi is incredibly conceited for little reason...to me she isn't memorable. Kenya is just annoying...learn to speak English & come back.

ETA: one other thing....I would never make light of any of their struggles or past hurts, but the ones who dwell on it & bring it up all the time really bother me. I doubt any of them have suffered what Ru Paul suffered in his life...he paved the way for all these people at a time when gays, never mind drag queens, had very little acceptance in most countries. But he has never (in my hearing anyway) used the poor pitiful me card. I don't mind them mentioning it or telling some of their experiences...that's how we get to know them. Sharon's story really touched my heart but she told it & then moved on. Her whole persona isn't how she's a poor misunderstood & picked on person. It's like they think they should get a pass for bad makeup or so-so performance because of it.

I am also :eek: at the OTT bitchery over what I consider minor disagreements...the comp has hardly started & some of them are already bringing out their big guns.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

So now we know that DiDa has a fierce runway walk AND can lip-sync amazingly well.

BUT THAT HAIR AND MAKEUP, ugh, so atrocious! I can't. :drama: It almost gives me hives. :yikes:

She's got the hard part down pat: Performance ability. Bitch SHINES under the lights. But in a world of paint and artiface, it's time to learn the basics of hair and makeup.

Methinks the Princess just isn't a competitive person by nature and that's not a good quality when you're in a reality show competition. But I LOVE her look. Fare thee well, Princess!

Madame LaQueer is ridiculously boring. :yawn: Jiggly, Milan, and Kenya are just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

If Phi Phi is just "safe" again next week, I have a feeling she's gonna blow. :rofl:

Chad, Sharon, & Latrice are above and beyond in their level of class and professionalism. :respec:

All in all, liking this season SO much more than last! :)

Best moment this week: Sharon and Natalie have a Hallmark moment over drug use innuendo. :rofl: x 10,000.
  14. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes, Dida's lip synch was one of the best-ever RDR performances ... easily. :cheer: Awesomeness. I may have just quit in the middle of that song if I were The Princess. Wonder how Dida will do with a song less obviously in her wheelhouse?

Speaking of the latter, sigh, too bad he's gone because I find the boy to be cute as hell. :) (Also too bad his drag name is The Princess, because ... as such mitigates his boy cuteness factor.)

This!
    And this!

Whee, it's a learning opportunity. Willam's :rofl: FYI to everyone, from an interview on Queerty ...

It's "Willam. As in “Will…umm…you close your legs, please?” :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  15. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Right?!?!? :lol:

I would think something edgier sounding would be more appropriate for his drag look.......but his OOD personality is just so charming and sweet! :rofl:

That's why drag is awesome, you completely invent a new persona. :cheer2:

BTW, forgot to mention it last week, but Sharon's boyfriend's name (Alaska Thunderf*ck!!!) is just hysterical. :lol:
  16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I can't stop giggling at Spinner's "Kristi Yummycoochy" comment. :rofl:
    Cornfed likes this.
  17. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I really like Sharon Needles. Her banter with Natalie Cole about the name 'Sharon Needles' was hilarious. Sharon has got to be on the top 3!

Chad Michaels is just too perfect. He is a true professional. I adore him.
  18. olympic

Like RuPaul, much better looking as a woman than as a man!
  19. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

After seeing a cute faux :p promo of Drag Race spinning off even more series ("Dragnet, Dragton Abbey, Dragula, Drag the Bounty Hunter and many, many more."), on "The Soup", last night, I searched for it and found the extended version.

The video features Ru, Shangela, Raven, and Chad Michaels ... [hmmm, foreshadowing/good news for Chad?]. :lol: Chad is very funny, and (as we already knew) so are Raven and Shangela (LaQueefa is back!).

I wonder if this will be a mini-miniseries on The Soup, ala what they've done in the past.
  20. luenatic

That's hilarious!
  21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Another funny video, Gay Shark Tank, with cameos by Willam [telling potential suitors "it's all brand new 'down there'" :lol:], Coco Peru, and Jai Rodriquez, among many others.
  22. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ MISS COCO!!!! :cheer2:

"YOU'RE rejecting me?" :rofl:

Lord luv ya, Miss Coco. ;)

David Burtka is also quite funny and adorable. :lol:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  23. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Most of the video was just cute for me, but the "Taxidrag Confessions" part actually made me laugh out loud.
  24. taf2002

So did anyone else see episode 4? I was hoping for a good catfight ;) but all we got was some name-calling & some bitchery. The acting scenes were kind of funny...some of the guys were really bad actors though. I thought Jiggly, LaQueer, Milan, & Kenya were all really bad...too bad they couldn't send all of them home. And the entitled & conceited attitude of both Milan & Phi Phi is starting to get really sickening. I can't wait till they are gone...I really hope neither wins.
  25. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:cheer: Well deserved win for Latrice Royale, easily the best-ever big gurl Ru has cast! Willam did a FAR better job assigning roles than did the overmatched Madame L.

:watch: Will the battle between :yawn: petty pageant girl Phi Phi and :kickass: "party city" ghoul Sharon Needles come down to a hair-pulling fight or a LSFYL? Or will they become BFFs after a come-to-Jesus girl talk?

:blah: Phi Phi, creepy Kenya, and all fishy pageant queens.

Milan. Ugh. Out next please ... her Diana-Ross-on-a-bender, next week, just might do the trick.

:lol: Willam's commentary and candids. Girl has been boring in challenges and on the runway, but is a kickazz narrator. "[Milan] swifted the stage with her taint" ... asking Latrice if tucking is a "one man job" ... etc.

:) I need to go fetch the full "sitcom" videos, as it seems we were only shown a portion.

:cheer2: Snatch Game next week!
  26. my little pony

i find kenya disturbing to look at
  27. olympic

The right gal (Madame LaQueer) was sent packing this week - terrible in the challenge; terrible runway ensemble.

I thought Kenya should've been in the bottom 2 as it was, because Milan wasn't that bad, just mediocre - you're ... safe (stern look from Ru).

Jiggly was sooooo lucky that her group won. That runway get up at the end was even worse than Kenya's or Madame LaQueer's. She would've been definite bottom 2 if her group hadn't won.

I think Dida could've won, had it not been for her nasty knees on the runway :lol:

Phi Phi is wound really tight, isn't she?
  28. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

May I just say I DETEST the ridiculous LSFYLs that descend into acrobatic stripteases. :mad: Just like that bullshit when the tranny did the backflips or the fake lesbian stuff betwixt Raja and Carmen last season.

AND these bitches need to stop taking off their wigs!!!!! :drama: SO tacky.

I dunno, it was just an uncomfortable episode from soup to nuts (*hehehe).

But BRAVA to Latrice, so well deserved!!! :cheer2:

Matt Mutchnick seems like a douchenozzle, though Sharon did need to shut the f*** up. :rolleyes:
  29. taf2002

I agree, I kind of wanted Milan to be sent home, just because she was so ridiculous in the LSFYL. And I totally concer about removing their wigs...what does that have to do with portraying a singer?
  30. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I've liked Sharon up until this this episode, when she started backtalking the producer. The line she kept going up on didn't strike me as being that hard. Although I thought Willam was worse. If your day job is acting, being a snotty twat to Mr. Will&Grace probably isn't the smartest career move. I was surprised by DiDa this ep - I hadn't expected her to do that well.
  31. luenatic

It doesn't. But it does tell me that they're desperate.
  32. BigB08822

I am watching Blubberella on Netflix and guess who plays the token gay guy...Willam! He is probably the best thing about the whole movie and has many of the best lines. The movie is just horrible though but I think it is supposed to be.
  33. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Willam also has the best lines in another classic (wuzrobbed of an Oscar :drama:) Ticked Off Trannies with Knives. Total snarkbitch character ... obviously, the cast wrote their own lines as they filmed, or merely were told to "just be yourselves". :lol:

Oh, NetFlix :swoon: -- the cinema magnificence we might've missed if not for you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  34. luenatic

Thanks! I just put them on my Netflix queue. :lol:

ETA: Pandora Boxx's recap of this week's episode

http://www.newnownext.com/rupaul-drag-race-recap-pandora-boxx-madame-laqueer/02/2012/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  35. BigB08822

I got the feeling that Willam was making up his dialogue as he went along or he wrote it himself. Either that or he was very close to the writer, haha
  36. olympic

Anyone watch last night???

Snatch Game is awesome :hat1:

But, it was a mix between really good and really bad! :yikes:

Millan is a chronic under-performer. I think Ru is getting annoyed. Millan has a great look, but seems terrible at performing.

And WTF is up with Willam? Did a great Jessica Simpson, but the monologue at the end was really cringeworthy :yikes:

Sharon Needles as Michelle Visage :lol:

Chadd Michaels did an awesome Cher.

Phi Phi needs to cool her jets. She's wound way too tight and now she comes across as just a bitter bitch with a chip on her shoulder :blah:

Jiggly was saved by the fact that there were others that were really terrible
  37. my little pony

i fell asleep, who sashayed away?
  38. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ Kenya Michaels.

The entire episode was bizarre. :yikes: At Sean Young-esque levels.

Latrice was right (although she admittedly did a 1/2-assed Aretha): The twats in the front row ('cept Chad) were ridiculous. I woulda tossed all three off.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  39. my little pony

god bless us, i never thought they would get rid of her
  40. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Snatch Game was an improvement over last year's boring debacle, only because the triad of Chad, Willam, and OMG Sharon as Michelle Visage rescued it from said Sean Youngesque weirdness. Willam's Jessica Simpson had me :lol: even before the Game began -- the name sign (Jessica "misspelled" and restarted twice before finally getting it "right").

Sharon took a risk, and it paid off. But Chad was perfection -- funny while still respectful of the woman who's made his career -- and deserved the win. Go play the entire Snatch Game video for a full view of what the judges saw.

"Emotions are for unattractive people"! :rofl: A few gems last night from Willam, as usual, along with what :drama: :shuffle: acting. Girl is what she is. I'm enjoying that she came here with a "character," and is playing it through ... not going off script. Latrice, Jiggly, and Dida seem to have Willam pegged, too, and seem to respect her "bitch" but "smart".

:shuffle: Latrice does NOT suffer fools, does she? Respect that.

:cheer2: Creepy troll doll is gone! Phew, I am shocked that Michelle and Santino would let go the fishiest fish ever to grace the RDR stage. Milan was headed for bootsville (and will go soon anyway), but then Vogue'd her way from the abyss in LSFYL.

:blah: Phi Phi's mouth and ego are each FAR larger than her talent. I'll give her small props for giving Chad the phone call, but that eggs-between-the-legs challenge was the first memorable thing she did besides bitch & moan & stew in jealousy over any queen who experienced success.

:eek: It hit me last night, after 3.5 seasons, that Class Uniquness Nerve & Talent is also an acronym. Ru, you naughty naughty thing. :cold: