RSF forcing Russian coaches to coach only Russians until Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ajax, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

?? If it had been up to them and their coaches, they would still be in Moscow. Their words, not mine.

2. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure of that. When V/M switched to S&Z, they were different from the other couples in that camp and I think they kept their individuality. They continued skating in a more mature way, are more balletic and tidier and Tessa even hasn't become skinny like Shpilband's other female skaters. So hopefully I/K can keep their individual style too.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Zvorygina/Bernadowski are consulted by him.

Sylwia Nowak is in Moscow with two Polish dance teams at the moment. I don't know with which coach she's consulting though.

Remember that although very few foreign skaters work with Russian coaches full-time, loads consult with them. Will consultations also not be allowed? That surely can't be enforced, especially when it happens outside Russia (in which case, Russian state resources aren't used).

Yep. Correct me with I'm wrong but haven't all the rinks built recently (where conditions are absolutely incredible) built entirely from public funds?

Well if P/B are leaving for Krylova & Camerlengo, then this is a positive development, no?

Zhulin is a decent coach but he has made some very bad program decisions IMO (P/B's last season's FD, I/K's this season's FD).

As for I/K leaving to Shpilband and Zoueva, such decision would be very silly.

And it's not just because I consider S&Z to be LUCIFER. As has been pointed out many times already, they have 34325436536 teams training with them.

Two of those teams are World champions. One of those teams contains Marina's son. At least those three teams surely are going to be their priority.

I/K are special talents and they deserve special attention.

AMEN! :respec:

Whilst you're obviously ironic, I definitely feel this way.

If you replace "gimme 80s Madonna" with "gimme 80s Usova" and "gimme Banamarama" with "gimme Anissina," then this song shows perfectly how I feel about the current shocking state of Ice Dance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_i8S05uUas

DRAMA & mature expression > sickly sweet kids doing twizzles at 100kms per hour

CoP has done wonders for Singles and Pairs IMO but in Ice Dance, whilst it results in huge technical advancement, the programs became what they are in singles: a series of technical elements.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Consultations will be allowed only if the Russian coach deliberately teaches his foreign student WRONG technique to sabotage said student's chances of beating any Russian rivals in Sochi. ;)

:EVILLE:

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well I don't think that Zvorygina/Bernadowski are exactly going to be rivals for any of the Russian dance teams :lol: so maybe nobody will mind them spending some time in Odintsovo. :p

6. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

In one of the interviews translated, one of the big guns (don't remember whom) was saying that Morozov would be able to keep training Ando and Amodio, who are actually big threats to Russian skaters. So probably lots of other exceptions will be made.

Or maybe the Russian Fed. believes that Morozov would prefer going abroad to dropping Miki.

As for Amodio, they must have imagined he's not a threat because he's so stupid. Probably he'll be 5th after the Olympic SP, decide he doesn't have a chance for a medal and strip in the middle of the ice to show he isn't old-fashioned and is going to transform figure skating. And that time he shall get a deduction.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that's the case.

Morozov is the hottest coach in single skating at the moment (which makes me :rolleyes: but still :p) and if the Russian Fed really wants him, they must realise that they are going to make some concessions for him. I mean he could easily get a job in any other country, if he wanted to.

Although I'd be really glad if they forced Fernandez to get another coach. :p

8. luCN

luCN New Member

well,I really hope Fernandez change coach as soon as possible...:p

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

But he got 2 quads while under Morosov and is getting rather consistent with his effortless jumps.

Style wise and politik wise he can definitely do better under a different coach, but Morosov is probably one of the best to guarantee consistency / results.

10. Thais

Thais New Member

Because non-Russian experts have the wisdom to see that, in the end, it's all about those amazing skaters that work really, really hard and not about their federation new politics.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes but Zueva and Shpilband suck at choreographing anything sensual/sexy. Just look at V/M's dorky whitebread "Latin" choreo in their FD (And I say this as a huge V/M fan)

12. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

He will.

13. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

I read this and thought immediately of this ;)

14. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Isabel was very skilled from the knee down. Another story from the knee up.

15. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Russia's got the post-Olympic blues before they've even started
    http://www.rusbiznews.com/news/n1050.html

It's not sounding good, but a lot can change in 3 yrs.

The pressure on I&K, V&T, Gachinski, Leonova, Makarova, et al must be enormous

ETA: Russia signs multi-million dollar deal with Gazprom to prepare team for Sochi 2014
    http://www.insidethegames.biz/olymp...l-with-gazprom-to-prepare-team-for-sochi-2014

They're certainly throwing enough money at it. It worked for Canada.

16. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Somewhat ot: I have never understood why more top flight skaters haven't used Raphael,
    especially since the Kween used him. As far as I know Mao was his last and that was seasons ago. Also diffiuclt to understand how Morosov juggles so may skaters at a time and appears to do well by them.

17. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Now I have to know...

What did Australia beat Russia at? :lol:

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

All of Austrailias golds and medals were in snowboarding but Russia won a gold in snowboarding as well.

19. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Ah, I suspected as much!

20. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Nikolai Morozov, in the US at least, had coaches that assisted him. Those coaches would do much of the training of the skaters, and Morozov would direct it, and do some of the training as well. All of the coaches in the "Morozov camp" basically taught in a style compatible with that of Morozov.

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

That is not true. The Chinese pairs teams and their coaching staff, once the teams were at a certain level technically, came to the US to learn western styles of makeup, hair, costumes, music, and choreography. There were US coaches and etc. helping out.

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

My understanding was that they seeked help from outside only when they were very near to the top. The most of the job (from nothing to near to the top) was done with them being closed to extrenal world.

23. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I read that Zhao trained in Russia early on, before he teamed with Shen.