RSF forcing Russian coaches to coach only Russians until Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ajax, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It has been discussed in the Worlds forum that the RSF has stipulated that Russian coaches who live in Russia cannot coach non-Russian students in the run-up to Sochi. Assuming this is true, who does it affect? The only people I can think of are Pechalat/Bourzat and Morozov's students. Any idea where these people would go? I really do not see Amodio or Ando leaving Morozov, and I'm surprised that Morozov actually agreed to this condition. The RSF must have paid him a buttload of money.

Are any other skaters/coaches affected by this rule?

2. millipied

millipied New Member

Pechalat/Bourzat were leaving in any case but train with another Russian coach who fortunately does not live in Russia, Krylova.
    The only ones affected are Morozov's students.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If that's true, it's shocking. Welcome back to Soviet Russia. :rolleyes:

Russian skating BENEFITS from having those skaters. Imagine being a young Ice Dance team training with Pechalat/Bourzat every day.

There are a lot of skaters, representing the former Soviet Republics, which would be affected.

Out of the better known skaters:
    Pechalat/Bourzat
    Cappellini/LaNotte
    Javier Fernandez
    Florent Amodio
    Miki Ando
    other Morozov skaters

Beefcake likes this.
  4. pp55

pp55 Member

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

No kidding. :wall: How exactly do they plan to enforce this? Trip to the Gulag?

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Can anyone post a link (and maybe a translation) to any sources for this?

Elene Gedevanshvili has just started training with Morozov (or is just about to do so). It seems unlikely that Morozov would take her on as a new trainee under these circumstances, unless the plan is for them to leave Russia again.

I have been wondering about how Javier Fernández and Florent Amodio feel about training together now that they are both podium contenders at Euros and in the Top Ten at Worlds. Even if the Russian Federation will let Morozov train them, it's possible that one of them (Fernández, I would think) would want to go somewhere else.

Elena Tchaikovskaia is one of the coaches the Belarussian ice dance couple Lesia Valadzenkava & Vitali Vakunov. I suspect there are a few others in similar circumstances.

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The Russian fed is looking increasingly desperate. I think Sochi is going to backfire on them big time, except in pairs (at least I hope the Russian pairs don't get f*cked over).

I hope they at least drop that rule after Sochi. Many of the coaches will choose "No Russians" over "only Russians" and then you will get another Marina/Igor situation. And I agree that training alongside skaters such as P&B is helpful to the young generation of Russian skaters.

I'd rather they try carrots instead of sticks: create a supportive and comfortable environment for any Russian coaches who wish to repatriate, and perhaps offer financial incentives to lower level coaches to coach Russians only, so that way they never leave in the first place.

8. millipied

millipied New Member

Well, they have point though. If you use state resources and asked to advance country sport, it is reasonable expectation to not waste his/her time and attention on competition.
    Otherwise state in Hackensack and do whatever the hell you want.

9. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I do wonder what Ando will do. I wonder if she's still taking next year off? Perhaps she will return in 2013 with a new coach?

Isn't it confirmed that Amodio is leaving?

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

didn't Elene G just move to Morosov? This doesn't make sense.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I guess the Russian fed can make an exception for her. It's not like she's a threat to anyone. :p

12. pp55

pp55 Member

From the article:

13. bek

bek Guest

Yes but will these type of rules really encourage some of the coaches to move back? And they need some of those coaches to work with other skaters. I must say in the coaching department its not like its really been a too way street. With Russian skaters benefiting from foreign coaches. And I do wish some of their skaters would get other choregraphy. (Sure though some of the coaches benefited from working with America)

This being said it really is kind of a fair point if your going to be taking money from us, and using resources, then you should focus on our skaters.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Whilst this reasoning is definitely valid, it might backfire terribly when - as you said - coaches are going to get jobs in US, Canada or Europe.

But yes, let's remember that a lot of public money is being invested in skating in Russia.

pp55 - Thank you very much for that article link.

15. millipied

millipied New Member

I agree that some not-to-be-named Russian skaters could benefit from Lori Nichols or David Wilsons. But Russian training system is different and I hardly imagine that scenario when Mishin or Moskvina would allow such collaborations. Besides, there is an abundance of great choreographers in Russia, such as Cherneshov, Petukhov, Krylova and so on. I just wish Tchaykovskayas of Russian Figure Skating could just retire already and give way for younger and creative coaches and choreographers.

However, Voitsekohskaya's article reads to me as pure speculation rether than fact. She is also known to stretch the truth.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Tom Dickson choreographed Lutai's programs for last season.

But this was probably the only time I've seen a foreign choreographer work for a Russian skater.

17. millipied

millipied New Member

And where is Lutai now?:lol:

18. bek

bek Guest

Perhaps a better compromise would be you can work with non Russians, but no non Russian that is a real threat to our current stars. For example, no Tarasova you can't take Mao when she may be a threat to Adelina or Tuktamysheva.

I really don't think thats completely unfair.

I mean in fairness I actually can understand why the Russian Federation IS frustrated. Weren't all but one of the top 10 dance teams at the Olympics coached by Russian/Soviet trained coaches. Asada/Ando have used Russian coaches for awhile. Arakawa having Russian coaches. While it was a help for sure being able to have skaters train in America, its not like the rest of the world has been so generous with their coaches for Russian skaters, or the Russians have used them.

I DO wish the Russian singles skaters would use some foreign choregraphers.

19. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It doesn't have to be so severe ;) Just don't hand out any visas.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know, I was being :drama:. But still, it's an extreme measure.

21. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

No, it isn't.

In this article, Gailhaguet is saying that, with the new policy of the russian fed, Florent won't be training full time with Morozov and that he has negociated a kind of part-time collaboration.

And in this article, there is the same thing from Gailhaguet and a quote from Morozov stating he wants to go on working with Florent, that he is an independant coach and that nobody can tell him what he can or cannot do.

:shuffle:

22. bek

bek Guest

What do the Russians have to be desperate about though. They have rebuilded their pairs program with more depth than anyone. They have a ton of young Wonderbaby jumpers, and given how the Ladies are skating right now...They have a lot of talented young dance skaters-and then Artur.

The thing is it depends. I know a famous Ukranian gymnastics coach joined the Russian gymnastics coaching team. Because he was promised not only boat loads of money (money he could make anywhere) But he was also promised something else that was equally important to him.-We will fund like we did in Soviet times.

I mean if the Russian federation is promising to rebuild a system similar to Soviet times- we will pay you Western like $ to train the talented kids, no matter if their parents can $ or not.

Well that's an attractive carrot. Because coaches want to win. And I get the feeling from reading Rodnina etc that a lot of the Russian coaches do feel that a system that is based on getting training based on talent/ ability, vs paren'ts money is the one more likely to have success.

So it depends.

23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

If the Russian fed would like to have Zoueva/Shpilband back, this is no way to entice them. Why should they give up their lucrative careers and drop the top ice dancers in the world just to return to Russia and train whomever the RFSF gives them for the next 3 years? I doubt Russia could pay them enough for that.

24. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Lori Nichol choreographed T/M's programs.

25. millipied

millipied New Member

Zoueva/Shpilband have no desire or possibility to return to Russia even if Russia entice them.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good point, totally forgot about them. :)

Is it confirmed that Pechalat/Bourzat are going to Krylova & Camerlengo?

If it's true, I am absolutely ecstatic!

They are super creative and did wonders with Weaver/Poje.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  27. bibi

bibi Member

aren't Morozov students training in Latvia ? If so, it would not affect them right?

28. woodstock

woodstock New Member

I think this decision from the RSF, and showing their desperation, only proves one thing....the points system has somewhat successfully eliminated bribery and favoritism among the judges. I may not care for a lot of aspects of the points system, but it most definitely seems to award quality of the performance the night of the competition. So many decades of dominance in pairs and dance, to barely winning any world/oly medals-all within one decade of the removal of 6.0, even with RSF still pouring $$ and support into their skating programs.

29. millipied

millipied New Member

I think it's been pointed out by many that the reason for the draught in Russian FS talent is the collapse of Soviet training system, infrastructure and subsequent departure of most coaches to the West. RSF started to pour money into sport only after they won Sochi Olympics, which is one year. Also if you look closely all those quality successes under COP are still accomplished with Russian coaching. At least in Dance.

30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think it was a successful Worlds medal-wise when you consider that their team is extremely young and inexperienced.

There was not a lot of money poured into skating until relatively recently.