1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royalty Thread #6 - Touring the World In Haute Couture

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by centerstage01, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He's everywhere it seems. His wife is Crown Princess Mette-Marit, and she is a bit controversial. She was a single mother when they met. Plus her baby daddy had a prison record and she had a reputation as a bit of a hellion who dabbled in drugs. The marriage almost didn't take place, but Haakon threatened to give up his crown. They have had their ups and downs, but are still together. She is still disliked on some of the royal webpages. They say she is lazy and spends too much money on clothes. She's an Amazon too - like six feet tall.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Whoa. Another royal scandal! :eek:

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

You are a fount of royalty backstories (dish), Rex. Thanks much for all the details on the Grimaldis, etc. :)

Woah, re the Rainier family secrets! But indeed, I guess similar expression could be uttered about quite a few family secrets of royals and commoners alike, albeit royals always live their lives on a much grander scale.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Eys, including an alleged affair with a wealthy businessman introduced to her at some party. Some call her greedy and lazy, and that all she cares about is going to Fashion Week with celebs like Gwyneth Paltrow (I hope she doesn't read GOOP!). They are back together; The Norwegian royals are terrified of scandal, but they do seem to invite it. Queen Sonja was a bit of a "Waity Katey" herself; she waited over a decade to marry King Harald because his parents didn't approve of the fact that she was a commoner, no matter how attractive and accomplished. But eventually they relented. I'm told that that's the reason why they allowed Haakon to marry Mette-Marit. Haakon is a bit spoiled and used to getting his way too. And his sister Princess Martha Louise is married to writer/freakshow Ari Behn. He's STRANGE and controversial and STRANGE and says weird things...

I used to laugh at royal watchers, especially the BRF stans, but really, their lives are quite fascinating, and a welcome relief from the Kardashians and useless reality stars (talent shows excluded). I swear, I only wanted to know stuff about Princess Grace, God help me. Now I can't pull myself away. I can take or leave the current BRFs, I'm a bit weary of Wills, Harry and the Middletons. But the other royal families from Scandinavia, the Grimaldis, the royals from defunct royal houses - this stuff is interesting.

Supposedly the other Euro royals turn their noses up at the Grimaldis, but I don't know how true that is; Prince Albert's wedding to Charlene was heavily attended. The UKs sent their second string royals though - Edward and Sophie.

5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Edward and Sophie always attend royal functions like weddings and dinners and such because they're really the only ones the BRF can send. Charles and Camilla are a good deal older than the rest of the 'next-in-line' royals so who would they associate with? I dare you to get Princess Anne to go to stuff like this...actually I really dare you because that would be hilarious. And Andrew isn't going due to his own scandals and he's got no significant other except Fergie and well...that ain't happening.

6. IceAlisa

Who needs movies when we have the royals.

7. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

8. IceAlisa

To be honest, I haven't been to a movie theater since the last Harry Potter came out. :shuffle: Wait, I did see Blue Jasmine but that's about it.

9. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I think Alisa, that you need more movies, and I need fewer Royals. Take an afternoon off if you can, and go as an outing just for yourself. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. IceAlisa

Ah, that's a nice suggestion. I wish I could take advantage but I doubt it will happen in the near future. So busy. :(

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

They do grow on you...

12. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I read on this website http://scandalouswoman.blogspot.de/2008/11/grace-kelly-americas-princess.html that she accepted mainly because it was a man her parents approved of and she could impress them with. Not sure of how much written on the site is true but it certainly doesn't sound like Grace Kelly came even close to living the Hollywood fairy tale many always made it out to be.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She didn't. Not really. It was far from a bad life - I mean, she was rich and wanted for nothing, save for a little autonomy. The movie that the Grimaldis are protesting deals with her unhappiness with Rainier in the 1960s, and how leaving him would mean losing custody of her children.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  14. IceAlisa

I mostly follow Duchess Kate because of her near perfect sense of fashion. :glamor:

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You think she has style? She looks okay I guess. But the press goes crazy over her every movement - it's annoying at times.

I actually find Beatrice and Eugenie more interesting. But for all the wrong reasons :EVILLE:

16. IceAlisa

I do think Kate has style. It's sleek and simple (although it was marred occasionally on the latest tour) and yet elegant. I have friends who follow blogs about what she wears and go crazy about it.

Not royalty (may be American show biz royalty?) but a little thread drift just for Rex:

It's Aunt Sandy at the Met Looks semi-homemade to me.

Here's the slideshow: https://celebrity.yahoo.com/photos/2014-met-gala-slideshow/ with Rihanna wearing my by far favorite look. She looks amazeballs.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:cheer: Thanks, Ice!!! Semi-Ho fashion voids!!! Well, she IS a ROYAL PAIN anyway.....

When she tones it down, she can look beautiful.

18. IceAlisa

Anything for you, Rexie! :)

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That dress is HIDEOUS!

20. IceAlisa

Goes nicely with her cuisine.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

What kills me is most of the Met Ball attendees, if not all, will write off the $25,000 ticket cost.

22. IceAlisa

I am not their accountant or the IRS but they are perfectly within their right if they do.

So what's this I hear about Prince Harry twerking at the rude Amerikan wedding? I don't need to see pictures, just asking for confirmation. :shuffle:

23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Can't find pics to confirm the twerking, but there are pics that confirm that Prince William flew coach (not the glamorous "royal carriage" kind of coach; more like the "coach" that equals "economy") on the way back from the wedding. That is....unbelievable. Can you imagine being in the process of cramming your belongings into an overhead bin and seeing that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nomy-class-journey-home-American-wedding.html

24. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he flew coach on the international leg too- or just Memphis to Dallas. Because the international flight is awful in coach, especially someone tall like him.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:EVILLE: but true...

Here is a transcript of an interview with friends and family of HSH Princess Grace.

Some folks trash her because of her rather active love life. Double standard much? So she liked sex!! So what? People calling her slutty is so unfair when Rainier was a known womanizer as well of lots of other male royalty. Give her a break.

27. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

28. IceAlisa

Whoa...what? What about security? Did his bodyguards fly coach with him? :eek:

My parents ran into him years ago when he was still in Eton. They were just walking around Windsor and there he was, walking past them. I wonder how you restrain yourself from gawking. My mom said he was tall and handsome. He still had a full head of hair at the time too.

I did run into Robin Williams at a famous Philly cheese steak place once and everyone was pointedly NOT looking at him and his family. Takes willpower.

And Prince Albert is no :saint: either I hear.

29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

That was apparently WHY he was flying coach. The wedding was not one of his "public" duties so the crown wasn't paying for it; William was covering the costs himself. Including airfare for him and his security detail. Pretty expensive to have all of them flying first class, so instead they all flew coach.

30. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I mean, not a lot of places have tighter security than airports anyway, so I'm sure it was perfectly safe for him to do that, especially with a low profile.