Royalty Thread #6 - Touring the World In Haute Couture

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by centerstage01, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

DELETED DUPLICATE POST

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I read about the Marchioness. I think she's lovely. She'll have a tough go of it - there aren't a lot of non-whites in the European royal families. I think Princess Angela of Lichtenstein is the only one I know of. She's Prince Maxmillian's wife. He is not next in line for the throne, so I think the family has been more accepting of the marriage and their child. She's also a dozen years older than Maxmillian. I think one of the Danish princes married a Eurasian woman, and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is a Latina. Other than that, European Royalty is, well, European.

On another non-BRF note, The Princely Family of Monaco is NOT happy with the upcoming Nicole Kidman movie about HSH Princess Grace.

3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Ick. I would not have cast NK as Princess Grace. I don't know who would be right though. She's kind of untouchable like Marilyn Monroe. No one can really pull off a good portrayal IMO. I hated Michelle Williams' attempt.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Cheryl Ladd did Grace Kelly in a terrible TV film back in the 80s. She was patently awful. It's a challenge to find someone as relentlessly pretty as Grace was. Nicole is an attractive woman, but nothing like Princess Grace. Plus, at 47, I imagine she was not believable as a young bride in her late twenties.

And I did see Naomi Watts as Princess Diana, and she was okay. The movie itself was not great, but Naomi did a credible job.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Can Kiira Korpi act? ;)

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mag

mag Well-Known Member

That was my first thought!

7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Perhaps Gwyneth Paltrow would make a better Princess Grace than Nicole Kidman. Paltrow is a very accomplished American actress with a superb facility for accents. Gwyneth was obviously channeling Princess Grace when she won her Oscar many years ago for Shakespeare in Love. I didn't like the dress Gwyneth wore when she won her Oscar, and she could have done a better job with her hair too, but she did convey some of that Princess Grace sparkle. OTOH, I was all for Cate Blanchett winning that year for Elizabeth. Probably, even Naomi Watts would make a better Princess Grace, over Nicole Kidman.

Thanks for your comments Rex, re the Marchioness, Ms Mcquiston. Personally not knowing so much about her or her upbringing, nor about the British aristocracy on an intimate level, I'm not sure how "tough a go" of it she will have in terms of enjoying a good life with her husband. Most likely she and her husband already have a circle of friends who are fully accepting of them and their relationship. In this day and age, why exactly should the color of Ms. McQuiston's skin or her father's country of origin disqualify her from being accepted socially by the British aristocracy I wonder? What, are we still in the nineteenth-century mode of thinking about surface differences between human beings? ... Oops, okay, I guess many of us still are. :duh: OTOH, I think the reported eyebrow-raising mores and antics of Ms. McQuiston's father-in-law should be more unacceptable to most people (aristocratic or otherwise) than the color of Ms. McQuiston's skin, which is quite gorgeous. Plenty of more pale-complexioned people go to extreme lengths to gain a faux tan, while 'mixed-race' Ms. McQuiston benefits from having a naturally beautiful tan. :)

After recently doing some reading about the real events and characters that inspired Downton Abbey, it has become obvious to me that Europe, the aristocracy and the course of European history is a conundrum wrapped up in a complex weave of corruption, brutality, heroism, magnificence, plundering, wondrous creation, despotic destruction, greed, noble service, high ideals, and an unparalleled pursuit of pleasure for pleasure's sake. Of course, we could say that about world history as well, but culturally and historically Europe is still apparently considered the idealized center of western civilization.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You see a resemblance? I don't really, although I think Kiira is a lovely young lady, no doubt about that.

I mentioned this awful movie in my earlier post.

I know some of the BRFs were/are known racists, but most of them today seem a bit more open-minded. I'm sure Lady McQuinton will not totally be shunned - she'll get invites to some A-list royal shindigs.

And NO, GWYNNIE DOES NOT have any business playing Princess Grace IMO. Not only does she not resemble her, she would not be believable as a young bride either. She only thinks she looks like Grace. No.Fcuking.Way.

THAT'S all....

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Kiiri Korpi doesn't look like Princess Grace but she has the same kind of otherworldly beauty. Rex, I agree about Gwenneth Paltrow - ICK ICK ICK.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I've never liked Paltrow, never. But she likes herself enough to where it doesn't matter :lol:. Ironically, the movie she made with Michael Douglas, A Perfect Murder, was supposedly a remake of Grace's Dial M For Murder. The former was a good movie, but mainly because Michael was in it.

Poor Grace - she died too young and I feel sad that her kids went a little crazy after she died. Stephanie looks horrible and from what I've read at some royal gossip forums, Caroline's kids are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out there. I hope that Charlotte's baby son has calmed her down a bit.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Charlotte is the most beautiful female Euro royal IMO. The Swedish prince, what's his name looks good for the male equivalent. Both are nuts though.

13. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Gracie Gold has a look of Grace Kelly and is young enough to play a young bride, and has the grace and coolness of GK. But could she act? probably not.

14. aftershocks

:lol: You must be right Rex! Now that I recall, Gwyn looked kind of silly, albeit in a sparkly kind of way, trying to channel the ever elegant and fashionable Princess Grace. Gwyneth did an admirable job in the movie, Emma, but I wasn't really feeling her Shakespeare in Love turn. Nicole is definitely not right for the GK role either, but she was extraordinary as Virginia Woolf in The Hours. The nose worked wonders all by itself. ;)

I do think Kiira has a striking facial resemblance to Princess Grace.

What do you guys think of the upcoming American reality show series, I Wanna Marry Harry? :p

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Charlotte is lovely. But she smokes. Her brothers were cute at one time, but they have hit the wall, especially Andrea. I think the Swedish prince you are referring to is Prince Carl Philip. He's dating some bikini model or something - and the King and Queen are not happy about it, allegedly.

I think that they'll have to pick an unknown to play her - none of the current crop of A-list ladies come close.

17. aftershocks

^^ ITA, I too was going to post that's what they should do, of course! But will they?

Sad to hear about Caroline's kids! I know that money never guarantees happiness, but what's the melancholy angst all about? I guess just passed down from one generation to the next and the next, because despite her porcelain cool, Princess Grace hid a lot behind that perfect smile. Not to mention that Prince Rainier's ancestral closet must have some haunted ghosts in it too.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I won't watch it but find the premise hysterical. The idiots wanting to be on reality tv are plentiful.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Rainier's mother Charlotte was actually illegitimate - she was the product of a liaison between her dad Prince Louis and the divorced wife turned cabaret singer. Her father had to adopt her legally so she could become a princess, marry and find a husband and inherit the throne so they could have a son who'd become Prince of Monaco. She married a French count, who was a closet homosexual, but the marriage produced Rainier III and his sister Antoinette. After WW2, Princess Charlotte abdicated when Prince Louis died so Rainier could become monarch. He dated a French actress for a few years, but his mom and sister hated her. And the sister spread the rumor that the actress, Gisele Pascal, was infertile. It played a part in Rainier's pursuit of a new woman to become his princess - one who could bear children. Then along came Grace. Some say she knew what she was getting into, others say she didn't. Rainier was charming at first when he courted her, but after the marriage, she witnessed his short temper and his womanizing. Allegedly when she became Princess Consort of Monaco, she had Princess Antoinette banned from the royal palace because she felt that she was trying to sabotage her marriage to Rainier. Rainier spoiled his daughters, but was hard on Prince Albert.

There is supposed to be some sort of curse on the Grimaldi family

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yup, that's the one. I hear he is not terribly bright either.

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: That is what they say. He has designed a set of cutlery that doesn't look very practical.

His sister Princess Madeleine doesn't seem like a heavyweight either.

I wonder who the brainiest royal is...maybe Crown Prince Haakon of Norway? He got his degree from Berkeley.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hmmmmm...I wonder how the sales are going.

In what subject?

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Political science according to wiki. And a masters degree in Developmental Studies from the London School of Economics.

24. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

UMMMM no! IMO there is nothing ethereal about Gracie Gold.

25. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  26. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Are we talking those who were born royal or those who married into the family?

King Philippe of Belgium has a Masters in Political Science. (Stanford)
    King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands has a Masters in History.
    Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan has a Masters in History.
    Crown Prince Felipe of Spain has a Bachelors in Law and a Master of Science in Foreign Service (Georgetown)
    Also brainy would be Queen Margrethe of Denmark who, while not having a formal degree from a University, studied a number of different subjects at top schools across Europe, and Prince Charles who has a Bachelors from Cambridge.

If you want brains who married a royal, check out Crown Princess Masako of Japan, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg, and Princess Claire of Luxembourg.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Great! If I were a royal, I'd study the heck out of history too. :)

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'd study anything with Haakon :inavoid:. He's the coolest, suavest royal out there. Plus, he does amazing work with UNICEF.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Both William and Kate have MA's from the University of St. Andrews. Of course, the MA there is an undergraduate degree, not a graduate one. Eugenie and Beatrice have BAs. I think Harry is the only 'young royal' in GB without a degree (though I'm not sure about Zara).

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I have to look him up. :)