Royalty Thread #6 - Touring the World In Haute Couture

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by centerstage01, Apr 19, 2014.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The dress is fitted to/on the Duchess.

Mindy, unfortunately, looks as though she has been "stuffed" into it.
    It doesn't flatter her at all, IMO.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

^^^ Yes, that is what I think too. Mindy doesn't benefit from the horizontal design at the waist either, it draws the eye sideways and makes her look wider.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

4. skatesindreams

She wore the dress for a warm-weather event in 2012.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ahh, thank you. :)

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

8. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Just as there's no "the" in Ukraine, there's no "the" in Ayers Rock. ;)

And it's more PC to use its original Aboriginal name, Uluru.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OK, they were at Ayers Rock. Thank you for the correction. These little things drive the native crazeee. Something small but nonetheless, important.

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yep. Kate crushes that "competition." The dress is completely wrong--I'm sure Mindy (whoever she is) is not a large woman but the dress makes her look huge.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Mindy Kaling is a comedian, tv-writer, and actress. She's not super skinny, but she also isn't very large. She is heavy for Hollywood.

I don't think the dress makes her look huge at all.

12. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

13. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Is there anything Kate does not rock?
    This pink dress is simply gorgeous.

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think she looks that good in red, or at least, not with the makeup she favors.

Time for non-British royals: this was a week ago, but I feel that this thread will only benefit from the addition of Princess Isabella and the royal twins . Also, other Danish royals marking the Queen's birthday (I think).

15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Love the outfit, but a pet peeve of mine is that Kate often has droopy hem lines. There really is no excuse. I suspect she just doesn't notice and perhaps doesn't care. Which is fine of course. I just think with what she is paying for those outfits, the cut and construction should be perfect (as should the pressing - but that is another peeve altogether and not related to this particular outfit.)

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My peeve is that the pink dress looks unfinished and needs a belt. What do you mean by droopy hemlines, mag? Uneven?

Oh yeah, you are right, that hemline is very uneven. :eek:

17. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Oh - I see the droopy hemline. You are so right, Mag.....I did not notice that before. Although it drapes differently in each of the two photos, I can't imagine it is something that should have been put right and was not.

And, agree totally about the belt. Didn't notice that either. Good thing I did not try to take up fashion commentating!

18. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

I also think the V-neck is awkwardly cut -- too narrow and deep. I prefer a V-cut to be more like a wide V and not such a narrow V.

I actually the dress overall looks a bit frumpy for Kate standards. I'm not saying she doesn't look great, but it's not among my favorites at all.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OMG, we just totally trashed a bespoke McQueen. :eek:

20. mag

mag Well-Known Member

We like to aim high ;)

I really am being extra picky, but Kate is a princess and, IMHO, her presentation really should be a cut above the rest. That was something Diana really seemed to understand. Yikes, I am not comparing her to Diana - well I am, but only in the clothes presentation part. Things like pressing (the tartan outfit she wore on Christmas morning looked so much better the first time she wore it in the fall of 2012) and hems are important to presentation. Kind of like pointed toes and relaxed fingers in dance ;)

Of course, what is most important is that they are a happy family. The rest is just entertainment for us that Kate will never read anyway!

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

New pics: Princess Estelle and her cousin Princess Leonore. Neither is wearing a bespoke McQueen :p

22. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Obviously, Estelle saw all the pictures of Prince George and took that as a challenge in the 'who can be cuter?' department. These are the types of battles we need more of in the world. :D

23. skatesindreams

Those pictures are precious and something to treasure.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: Port de bras!

I never cared for Diana's clothes. :shuffle:

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont either but i think that could be because her heyday was during a sad time in fashion

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

27. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It definitely was an interesting fashion time. I remember being in London in the mid 80's. Everyone was so drab. I can see why Diana made such a hit - she actually wore colourful clothing. It isn't so much the actual styles, but the way everything was put together. Her clothes, whether you liked them or not, were always exquisitely made and her accessories always perfect from shoe colour to hat and jewellery. Those things really set her apart from other very rich women.

I think think Kate has a lot to offer. It think she is much more stable and will provide William with the love and stability he needs. It is perfectly selfish, but I just want it all. I want Kate, but with Diana's dressers' attention to detail. The beautiful construction and tailoring, perfectly pressed and presented garments, the beautifully matched and polished shoes, and the fabulous jewels. It is just selfishness on my part - I want it all - mental stability and perfectly groomed perfection. :)

28. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Sorry for the double post, but those presenters need to do some research. It wasn't a "silver feather" on the shoulder of Kate's dress, it was a silver fern. Anyone who know anything about New Zealand, or has done even a moment of research would know that.

29. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Well the article states fern now and how it is the national emblem of New Zealand so someone must have pointed out the error.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh yes. The 80s is what they trot out every time they do "awkward family photos" gallery on yahoo.

If anyone fails to see the Queen's influence in Kate's wardrobe, they are willfully blind. We do know that super-bright colors are the Queen's trademark. Lower hemline may be in but so is tight, pencil skirt silhouette and you didn't see much of it on the tour.

The pink McQueen and the zoo cream eyelet dress were my least favorite outfits. The grey coat and hat for Easter service was my runaway favorite, exquisite, followed by the white eyelet dress on the beach. Everything else falls in-between but still more fashionable and flattering than most celebs, many more hits than misses. I am with William on the banana dress although the cut was beautiful. Perhaps if the yellow were less radioactive. You have to have the right complexion to pull it off.

And I still love the skinny jeans, blazer, wedges look. Timeless and effortless. She looks great and no less regal.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014