Royalty Thread #5 - Kate Now Officially A MILF

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by floskate, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Prince Gal! :cheer:

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I can't believe you named your dog after the Prince of Cambridge! Prepare for it...

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

They're having a high old time over on the Blackadder Facebook page right now. I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it. :D (Hugh Laurie played a Prince George who was "thick as a whale omelette" on that show.)

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I was rooting for Arthur

5. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

LOL! My pug is 5, so he can readily prove who came first ;)

O-

6. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the new arrival can be referred to by name, now:
    Welcome, Prince George of Cambridge!

8. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Not thrilled about the name George... I prefer the other two. However, the CNN Reporter said Baby George earlier and that sounded kind of cute. :)

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Looks like it was a similar situation to William then - born as Prince George, but later known as Duke of Cambridge instead. Still can't figure out what's special about him though, other than the symmetry of the two 2nd Dukes having the same name, assuming little George (cringe) inherits the title at some point.

10. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I was hoping for James but I like Alexander.

11. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

12. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Little George's parents were probably trying to find a name in their ancestral line that didn't belong to a bald bleeder. Pickings were slim.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. dardar1126

Twitter:

14. OliviaPug

I call my pug George "Baby G" and I think that's a lot cuter and way more gangster ... :lol:

O-

15. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Wow, was I wrong!

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

What, it's not John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt??

Good thing they released the name soon. Otherwise he might have become Voldemort, just by default of being him without a name and therefore whose name cannot be spoken.

17. dardar1126

"Louie"

18. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

The Louis is after one of Prince Charles favourite people, his father's uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten.

I won't go into details about his illustrious life, it's on Wikipedia.
    However, he was a major influence in the marriages and begettings of the royal family, having provided honeymoon bed for both Elizabeth & Philip and Charles & Diana.

Lord Louis Mountbatten was blown up by terrorist in 1979 while aboard his yacht, and Prince Charles was devastated that he had lost his Uncle Louis.
    The giving the baby the name Louis would please Prince Charles more than giving him the name Charles, I suspect.

19. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Ever since I read: "I always sign G. Bernard Shaw, and my professional name is Bernard Shaw without the George, which I loathe", the name carried slightly negative connotation for me. Seems that the Royals don't share the sentiment, though :lol:

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I will say one thing - it's all fairly generic and doesn't seem to bias to anyone in particular, so there's little ground to complain that this person or that was not suitably honoured.

Although I'm sure there are those who will be annoyed there's no Spencer, and maybe 1-2 who say the Middletons have been snubbed, but overall it looks like they've taken middle ground here.

21. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

^^^ This. Plus Alexander is one of my family's traditional names, with several variations for girls so I really like that one!

22. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I am glad someone got what a meant.:D

23. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

George? Ugh. Alexander Louis George would have been so much better. ;)

24. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Nah, because then he would have been nicknamed Al-Gee.

25. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Oh dear. George is such a boring name. I am not happy at all. And it has been so over used in the last hundred years. Well, actually 200 years.
    And no family names. I was hoping for some of them. Well, I guess George IS a family name as I said above. I still was hoping for Phillip, Charles, or Henry.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I am quite surprised no Charles, but then again if Charles really is planning to be King George VII then it makes perfect sense.

All three eldest granddaughters of the Queen have Elizabeth among their names, so I thought Charles as future king would have his name among the names of his eldest grandsons. Maybe this is a sign that he's really going for George instead of Charles.

Which I think is dumb - more than any heir to the throne before him (thanks to global media, social media and the internet), he is known as Charles, so to change it after 60+ years seems odd. Much of the media still calls her Kate Middleton after all.

27. OliviaPug

Phillip, Charles, and Henry are equally "boring." I think they should have gone with "Kanye."

O-

28. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

OK I am obviously in the minority here but I really like the name - Prince George has a nice ring to me :)

I will also be surprised if Charles really does become George VII - he has been Charles for far to long in the public eye and it will be seen as somewhat silly for him to take another name when (if) he finally becomes King

29. mkats

mkats New Member

I have two questions that maybe some of you royal experts can answer for me :)

Firstly, when did the royals switch to having so many names? Admittedly there's a huge gap in my knowledge of royal history between the Tudors and the Windsors :shuffle: but I always thought Elizabeth I only had the name "Elizabeth", and so on, without any middle names.

And then...

Can somebody tell me the significance of that one? My old boss's dog was named Theo and that's the only place I've ever heard it so this made me :lol:

30. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the Alexander part. My 1st son is an Alexander. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.