Royalty Thread #5 - Kate Now Officially A MILF

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by floskate, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I see that just like the royal baby, the thread remains unnamed. Maybe "we're working on it" would be an appropriate title here, too :p

And now for some non-British cuteness: here are the Norwegian royal puppies.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Random thought as I scan through coverage on my lunch hour - I wonder how Peter and Zara Phillips feel about the mother's refusal to allow the Queen to bestow them titles? They were the first of the grandchildren, but as their cousins were born, they all got titles.

I wonder if it's the way I felt when my mother informed me that she had told my grandparents that she didn't want the family cottage when they died, so my uncle and subsequently my younger cousins got it instead.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Now that they are adults, could they request them? I mean, they are 'entitled' to them, right? (ETA: Nope, apparently because they are grandchildren on the female side, they aren't entitled to them by birth...) However, so often you hear from famous people they just want to be normal, and that's why their Mom did it, so maybe they actually prefer it? They still live the high life, title or not. Sorry about your cottage :(

Are there any family members who were not titled as highly as this new baby because the system was different when they were born? (This baby wouldn't have been a Prince without a new ruling? Or is it just that the girl wouldn't have been a Princess, rather a Lady, but a boy would have been Prince either way?) I wonder how they feel about all the 'rule changes'.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't know about rule changes - I always thought this kind of thing had a lot of tradition, but a lot of leeway for the Queen to do what she wanted as well. Here's the grandchild list, for reference:

Peter Mark Andrew Phillips b. 15 Nov 1977
    Zara Anne Elizabeth Phillips b. 15 May 1981

William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor, 1st Duke of Cambridge b. 21 Jun 1982
    Henry Charles Albert David Windsor, Prince of the United Kingdom b. 15 Sep 1984

Beatrice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of York b. 8 Aug 1988
    Eugenie Victoria Helena Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of York b. 23 Mar 1990

Lady Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Windsor b. 8 Nov 2003
    James Alexander Philip Theo Windsor, Viscount Severn b. 17 Dec 2007

Never noticed this before - further to our discussion re surnames - note that Andrew's children have a different surname than Edward's, and we know that Charles' children have used a third surname, Wales, despite being named Windsor (according to thepeerage.com).

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting article about this very subject:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-name-be.html

What Will the Royal Baby’s Last Name Be?
    by Caroline Linton Jul 22, 2013 1:38 PM EDT

As if choosing a first name isn’t hard enough, Will and Kate will also have to decide what their baby’s surname will be—if it has one at all. Caroline Linton on the quirky politics of royal last names.

6. Skittl1321

Found an article that answers my question. Without the Queen issuing a change, if the baby was a girl she would have been titled Lady (not HRH), a boy would have been Prince (no change required here). The change ensured if the baby was a girl she would also be a princess. (The article mentions if she had twin boys the first would be a Prince, the second just a Lord; due to the change issue, the second boy would be a Prince too.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...liam-and-kate-will-be-a-princess-8444692.html

Titles are weird.

7. Skittl1321

They are sort of in the same situation as Zara and Peter. They should be titled Prince and Princess, but their parents declined and went with the lower titles.

Although, wikipedia says that Zara and Peter are not entitled to a title by right of birth, only if the Queen wanted them to have one; so they weren't exactly 'robbed' of titles they should have been given. Whereas, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn had in their birthright the titles. (Male vs. Female line, I think)

8. dardar1126

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That article doesn't make sense to me. It implies that this is only a recent development, and yet Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie have all been Prince/Princess from birth.

10. dardar1126

Twitter:

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Tweets from Clarence House!!

Have to say I'm disappointed. No offense to those named so, but I've never liked the name George. Alexander has been a favourite with many (and I guess a lot of skating fans!), but I find it a tad trendy. Although I guess they can get away with it, being royalty. Louis is one of William's names, not sure if there's other meaning there.

Meh. Not looking forward to headlines referring to little Georgy Boy and the like.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Zemgirl

Alexander George Louis would have been better ;)

Yes, I don't think children of a princess are styled prince/princess. OTOH, the daughter of an Earl, Marquess or Duke is styled the Lady First Name Last Name, while Viscount Severn is a courtesy title, being the Earl of Wessex's secondary title. To the best of my knowledge, Mark Phillips was offered a peerage upon his marriage to the Princess Royal (then princess Anne) but declined.

A comparable situation to Princess Anne and Mark Phillips was that of Princess Margaret and Antony Armstrong-Jones: after their marriage, he became the Earl of Snowdon and Viscount Linley. The latter title is currently used by their son, while their daughter is the Lady Sarah Chatto.

(the things you learn from reading historical romance...)

They are grandchildren of a reigning monarch rather than great-grandchildren. I don't think their kids will be princes and princesses.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  13. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

According to Twitter, it's George Alexander Louis.

ETA: Too late! You guys are quick!

14. Skittl1321

They were born to a different position though. The people you named were all born to the male child of a monarch (Zara and Peter to the female child), so they are entitled to Prince/Princess. This baby was born to the -grandchild- of a monarch.

Excited the baby has a name!

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

OK I get it now :)

But I'm still meh on the name. In fact, I'll say it, I don't like it at all.

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I totally called it! Should've made some bets. :)

17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

where's his fourth name? he sounds so unfinished

18. Skittl1321

How do the British pronounce Louis? I know people with that name who say it different ways. That is going to sway my opinion on the name.

19. dardar1126

Or Alexander Louis George. :)

I'm not thrilled with the name either...maybe because after two recent presidents named George, I'm kinda done with that name for awhile. :rolleyes:

But, of course, he's a British baby, not an American one, so....

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Georgie Porgie, Puddin' and Pie,
    Kissed the girls and made them cry,
    When the boys came out to play
    Georgie Porgie ran away.

21. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I knew it was going to be George.

Wonder if they'll do a nickname from Alexander or Louis like "Alex" or "Louie"!? Probably not.

22. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I must admit, I'm a little surprised at only three names instead of four. But then, the Queen only has three and she's been able to do her job just fine so maybe the lack of a fourth name won't hold him back. :D. George Alexander Louis is a good, solid name.

23. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Ugh.

24. dardar1126

Tweet from an American historian:

25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:lol: That's the first thing that came to my mind when I heard that George was the chosen name.

I can't help having a negative reaction to that name -- stemming in large part from a lazy, plagiarizing partner I had for a psychology project as an undergrad. :shuffle: I will try to overcome my ridiculous dislike by thinking of George Harrison instead whenever memories of George the cheat come to mind. :)

26. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

So it's Boy George ... "do you really want to hurt me?" ;)

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

28. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Well, now the Prince of Cambridge has to share his name with one of my pugs, who, of course, came first :p

O-

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Exactly! I see Charles' hand in this mess - grrrr.

30. Zemgirl

Just imagine if it had been Prince George Michael.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.